Aggravated Assault Charge

While most countries are more homogeneous than america, it's obvious our system is antiquated and doesn't work.

It's based on an ancient punishment model, mixed with modern capitalism. Punishing the shit out of people for poor behavior does't work, that's why recidivism rates are so high. All prison does is teach people how to be better criminals, exacerbate psychological conditions, and filter people out of normal society.

We've learned a lot about mental illness over the last generation, but almost none of it is being applied to the prison system. We're still using the outdated punishment model from the victorian era. As well as the morality police, punishing people for recreational drug use and possession, prostitution, etc. Today our prisons are largely a place to hold the rapidly increasing numbers of mentally ill, milling them through the system over and over again for zero benefit and at great taxpayer expense.

I agree with most of what you are saying especially the mental illness issue, it is true many in the prison system have undiagnosed mental illnesses. But Rehabilitation is only one of four purposes for the prison system, the other are retribution, deterrence, and incapacitation. When someone does wrong they have to face the music regardless of whether they are mentally ill or have a hard upbringing. Some people are really a danger to society and need to be kept away from the public to prevent more victims, and to prevent the inmate from doing more harm(admittedly this may because of mental illness), lastly the victim does deserve retribution when they have been wronged.

There is a nature vs. nurture argument, but there is a sociopathic factor which effects 2% of the population (3% in men 1% in women), it doesn't matter what upbringing they have, they are still more likely to gravitate toward anti-social activities (again, you could argue at this as being a mental illness). To be honest with you the rehabilitation factor is lacking, but buy the time a lot of people make it to prison I am not sure if it will work.

What is the solution? I have no idea, but until someone finds one this is all we've got.

My best friend's boyfriend beat her with a golf club and she dropped the charges me he got out in 3 months. Been back to jail twice for beating on her since then. Been to jail for beating on her before that too.
if she's your best friend, you shoulda thrown uppercuts at the xmas party.

My best friend's boyfriend beat her with a golf club and she dropped the charges me he got out in 3 months. Been back to jail twice for beating on her since then. Been to jail for beating on her before that too.
you should grab a bat and pay him a visit

Don't give up on the kid, OP.
He's a mess, keep your distance, but you're trying to support him through a tough time and he may wise up, apologize eventually, and appreciate your efforts.

Thanks dude, but actually he's not that much of a mess. He's just a hothead with a short fuse. Even though he's weedhead he does work and has had the same job for the past two years. So he's not the sociopathis delinquent that some of these fools are trying to paint him out to be. And nah, I'm definitely not going to give up on him.

They're overcharging to get you to plea to a lesser charge
Think of it like the first round of a negotiation
He'll end up with a misdemeanor and probation at most which may be good for him if it forces him to clean up and learn responsibility

Your kid sounds like a real winner though, may wanna man up, stop blaming everyone elseand take charge of your child now before its too late

Definitely this. Some people say that weed is the gateway drug and I was probably too stern and inflexible with my "shape up or ship out" approach. He told me that he felt that I was too controlling which is why he decided to stay with his grandmother.

But a little more detail about what had happened. Actually he wasn't high but my nephew was and he stole money out of my sons duffle bag and left to hang out with his friends. He came back a couple of hours later high as hell (off my son's money mind you). So the whole time my nephew was gone after "borrowing without asking" my son (who does have a pretty fucked up temper sometimes) was fuming and couldn't wait for my nephew to walk through that door.

I raised my son (who's my oldest) for the past 18 years and he's never been a problem child as far as run ins with the law is concerned. And his love for marijuana started about a year ago. But I have two other sons who are younger than him that I do not wish for him to be a not so good influence on.

Btw, I talked to an attorney who I am going to meet at his office on Monday morning to retain and he basically guaranteed to have it dismissed provided my son attends anger management and drug counseling and he'll be on probation for sure. Learning experience for him.

He needs to be responsible for his actions; don't enable him, you're doing him a great disservice in the long run.

I understand why you see it this way, but because this is his first ever brush with the law I feel as though he deserves a chance to learn from this and move forward. But if he decided that he wants to be rowdy and embark on that kind of path again best believe I'll let him figure his own way out of it.

Thanks dude, but actually he's not that much of a mess. He's just a hothead with a short fuse. Even though he's weedhead he does work and has had the same job for the past two years. So he's not the sociopathis delinquent that some of these fools are trying to paint him out to be. And nah, I'm definitely not going to give up on him.

Definitely this. Some people say that weed is the gateway drug and I was probably too stern and inflexible with my "shape up or ship out" approach. He told me that he felt that I was too controlling which is why he decided to stay with his grandmother.

But a little more detail about what had happened. Actually he wasn't high but my nephew was and he stole money out of my sons duffle bag and left to hang out with his friends. He came back a couple of hours later high as hell (off my son's money mind you). So the whole time my nephew was gone after "borrowing without asking" my son (who does have a pretty fucked up temper sometimes) was fuming and couldn't wait for my nephew to walk through that door.

I raised my son (who's my oldest) for the past 18 years and he's never been a problem child as far as run ins with the law is concerned. And his love for marijuana started about a year ago. But I have two other sons who are younger than him that I do not wish for him to be a not so good influence on.

Btw, I talked to an attorney who I am going to meet at his office on Monday morning to retain and he basically guaranteed to have it dismissed provided my son attends anger management and drug counseling and he'll be on probation for sure. Learning experience for him.
Everybody's got to learn their limit, he's still young.
"Boy, when your feel yourself starting to get that angry, take a walk away from the situation, your anger isn't going to do ANYTHING positive. You'll find this as you grow older-- pay attention to the number of times being off-the-rails-angry improves a situation. That number will be very close to zero. "

I really want to know why you would even entertain paying for his attorney? He acted like a violent, temperamental child and he was being violent even if his intention wasn't to harm his mother.

I agree with most of what you are saying especially the mental illness issue, it is true many in the prison system have undiagnosed mental illnesses. But Rehabilitation is only one of four purposes for the prison system, the other are retribution, deterrence, and incapacitation. When someone does wrong they have to face the music regardless of whether they are mentally ill or have a hard upbringing. Some people are really a danger to society and need to be kept away from the public to prevent more victims, and to prevent the inmate from doing more harm(admittedly this may because of mental illness), lastly the victim does deserve retribution when they have been wronged.

There is a nature vs. nurture argument, but there is a sociopathic factor which effects 2% of the population (3% in men 1% in women), it doesn't matter what upbringing they have, they are still more likely to gravitate toward anti-social activities (again, you could argue at this as being a mental illness). To be honest with you the rehabilitation factor is lacking, but buy the time a lot of people make it to prison I am not sure if it will work.

What is the solution? I have no idea, but until someone finds one this is all we've got.

The thing is jailing people doesn't work as a deterrence. At all. Some people should be locked up permanently. I'm not a fan of the Canadian thinking: "sure he chopped off that guys head but he's ill." But we don't have a larger prison population than most of the rest of the world combined because we've tried and failed to rehabilitate people. It's because rehabilitation is an afterthought, instead of the main purpose. Retribution is also a leftover from the victorian punishment boner model.

We put a lot of people in jail for silly shit, like drug abuse, prostitution etc. And our prison system is designed to keep people milling through it. Many, many crimes are felonies. Once you get a single felony you are realistically fucked. You will probably have fines/restitution to pay when you get out, and you're going to find it nearly impossible to find a decent job. Even though you've done your time, you have a huge black mark on you that will stop you from succeeding. That's bullshit. It just leads to people stealing, dealing drugs, and getting involved in other criminal activity because they're basically barred from doing anything else.

The murderers, rapists, violent offenders etc, sure lock them up and keep them locked up. But they're a fraction of all offenders. Locking people up with other criminals for years, then releasing them back into society even more maladjusted and with an artificial barrier to employment is extremely shortsighted. We have a criminal justice system that literally creates criminals.

The thing is jailing people doesn't work as a deterrence. At all. Some people should be locked up permanently. I'm not a fan of the Canadian thinking: "sure he chopped off that guys head but he's ill." But we don't have a larger prison population than most of the rest of the world combined because we've tried and failed to rehabilitate people. It's because rehabilitation is an afterthought, instead of the main purpose. Retribution is also a leftover from the victorian punishment boner model.

We put a lot of people in jail for silly shit, like drug abuse, prostitution etc. And our prison system is designed to keep people milling through it. Many, many crimes are felonies. Once you get a single felony you are realistically fucked. You will probably have fines/restitution to pay when you get out, and you're going to find it nearly impossible to find a decent job. Even though you've done your time, you have a huge black mark on you that will stop you from succeeding. That's bullshit. It just leads to people stealing, dealing drugs, and getting involved in other criminal activity because they're basically barred from doing anything else.

The murderers, rapists, violent offenders etc, sure lock them up and keep them locked up. But they're a fraction of all offenders. Locking people up with other criminals for years, then releasing them back into society even more maladjusted and with an artificial barrier to employment is extremely shortsighted. We have a criminal justice system that literally creates criminals.

All of what you say may be true, and it certainly seems to be the case of the thread starters son, but the country with the lowest incarceration rate in the world is Norway with 75 people incarcerated per 100,000 people and still there recidivism rate is 20%, which to be fair is the lowest in the world, but 20% is still a pretty high number. Basically a fairly high percentage of people in prison fall within the 2% sociopathic range, and they can't be rehabilitated. As far as retribution being archaic, maybe it is, but what do you say to a family who lost their 5 year old daughter to a stray bullet meant for a gang banger outside of her house?

I understand why you see it this way, but because this is his first ever brush with the law I feel as though he deserves a chance to learn from this and move forward. But if he decided that he wants to be rowdy and embark on that kind of path again best believe I'll let him figure his own way out of it.
You're his father; your love for your son will never end. Hopefully, he takes this warning as a wake up call. He's lucky to have a caring father like you. I wish you guys all the best.

Why are you helping me NOT learn the natural consequences of his actions?

Testify against him. Tough love. He's not getting better with the way you're doing things now.

b7e8323c1a6a702e23550f7dd33a76d6c0a135b41a2934625dbea60139b0c417.jpg

All of what you say may be true, and it certainly seems to be the case of the thread starters son, but the country with the lowest incarceration rate in the world is Norway with 75 people incarcerated per 100,000 people and still there recidivism rate is 20%, which to be fair is the lowest in the world, but 20% is still a pretty high number. Basically a fairly high percentage of people in prison fall within the 2% sociopathic range, and they can't be rehabilitated. As far as retribution being archaic, maybe it is, but what do you say to a family who lost their 5 year old daughter to a stray bullet meant for a gang banger outside of her house?

Well I already said in the other post, everyone can't be rehabilitated. The thing is we don't even try to. Now murderers. rapists, pedos, I'd be cool with the death penalty. If we didn't have such a fucked up, dirty justice system it might be easier to implement something like that.

But the vast majority of people in jail aren't rapists, pedos, and murderers.

Well I already said in the other post, everyone can't be rehabilitated. The thing is we don't even try to. Now murderers. rapists, pedos, I'd be cool with the death penalty. If we didn't have such a fucked up, dirty justice system it might be easier to implement something like that.

But the vast majority of people in jail aren't rapists, pedos, and murderers.

Again what you are saying is true, but where do you draw the line? Most people consider a DUI a minor crime however the average person who gets arrested for DUI has driven drunk 80 to 90 times for every time they get arrested. Approximately 10,000 people a year are killed by drunk drivers. Regarding crimes such as possession, prostitution, public drunkenness etc. Yes they are minor, but many murders, rapist, and pedophiles have arrests for those crimes as well. Do we wait until someone commits something egregious? With that being said I pretty much do agree with what you are saying, I just can't fathom a way to fix it in our society.

Regarding the vast majority of people in jail not being murders, rapists, and pedophiles it actually depends on the jail. In big counties with fairly high crime rates such as LA, Cook, Wayne etc. most offenders of minor crime do not see much jail time, there is no room, so they get light sentences such as probation. So in a sense many minor crimes don't really receive a big punishment.

Last edited:
Have him plea out to some BS lesser charge. Your kid sounds like he will be a repeat customer for the PD.

If you get your son an attorney and help him fight this you should do it only under the stipulation that he lives with you and follows your strict disciplinary rules going forward until he finds a job and his life is stable enough to get a place of his own to live.

Back