After you die, your brain knows you’re dead, terrifying study reveals

And this was confirmed how exactly?

There was a study back in 1900s or 1800s, anyways point is a lot of folks used to get behead via , in the mma spirit, guillotine. It was speculated that people getting their heads chopped so instantly like that may have still held on to some degree of consciousness however brief.

So, in the spirit of science, a curious mind decided to investigate. So, a condemned criminal due to be executed via decapitation was closely watched by said scientist. After the head was severed, he waited a few seconds than YELLED his name.

The eyes opened.

The question of consciousness following decapitation remained a topic of discussion during the guillotine's use, both from an academic or medical viewpoint, as well as from a more vulgar and emotional public viewpoint driven by a fascination with the horror of a living, bodiless head.

Audiences to guillotinings told numerous stories of blinking eyelids, speaking, moving eyes, movement of the mouth, even an expression of "unequivocal indignation" on the face of the decapitated Charlotte Corday when her cheek was slapped.[citation needed]

The following report was written by Dr. Beaurieux, who experimented with the head of a condemned prisoner by the name of Henri Languille, on 28 June 1905:

Here, then, is what I was able to note immediately after the decapitation: the eyelids and lips of the guillotined man worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about five or six seconds. This phenomenon has been remarked by all those finding themselves in the same conditions as myself for observing what happens after the severing of the neck ...

I waited for several seconds. The spasmodic movements ceased. [...] It was then that I called in a strong, sharp voice: "Languille!" I saw the eyelids slowly lift up, without any spasmodic contractions – I insist advisedly on this peculiarity – but with an even movement, quite distinct and normal, such as happens in everyday life, with people awakened or torn from their thoughts.

Next Languille's eyes very definitely fixed themselves on mine and the pupils focused themselves. I was not, then, dealing with the sort of vague dull look without any expression, that can be observed any day in dying people to whom one speaks: I was dealing with undeniably living eyes which were looking at me. After several seconds, the eyelids closed again [...].

It was at that point that I called out again and, once more, without any spasm, slowly, the eyelids lifted and undeniably living eyes fixed themselves on mine with perhaps even more penetration than the first time. Then there was a further closing of the eyelids, but now less complete. I attempted the effect of a third call; there was no further movement – and the eyes took on the glazed look which they have in the dead.[40][41]

These widespread anecdotal claims, which vary in credibility, can be reevaluated in the light of recent neurological research on animals. In one study, attempting to address whether decapitation of research rats is a humane practice, the cognitive band (13-100 Hz) in the EEG patterns of decapitated rats reached levels hypothesized to be consistent with unconsciousness after 3.7 seconds on average. [42] More research in this area is needed, however, as EEG patterns and power levels are not a direct measure of consciousness (a poorly understood phenomenon), nor can results with rat biology be taken as conclusive for human biology.

I watched my grandad pass away today.

I was the only member of my family present.

Death isn't pretty.

I even took a picture of him in his final few moments to remember him by.

Looking at it now, I really wish I hadn't.
Damn buddy sorry to hear that. The same thing happemed to me and my grandma. Hopefully you were sble to help him with some morphine.

The scary thing is once your gone you are gone.

You're not going to wake up after 8 hours of unconsciousness.

You're not going to wake up after a week, a month, a year.

I will be an entire eternity, forever, gone.

When you're gone you are gone for good. It is final, in that deep dark void until the end of time and then some.

Well chaps, enjoy your day.

Back