Crime The Golden State Killer Finally Faces Justice: 26 Life Terms for 50 Rapes and 13 Murders.

Always be nice to your neighbors, you never know if he's a serial killer.

That's exactly what I tell my neighbors.

Talk about awkward topic at the DeAngelo family Thanksgiving dinner this year...

Relative's DNA from genealogy websites cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says
BY SAM STANTON | April 26, 2018 02:01 PM​

http://amp.sacbee.com/latest-news/article209913514.html

Makes me wonder how legal that is. Someone told me who used ancestry.com that they didn't share the DNA results. Seems like if these databases voluntarily cooperated there'd be no issue with the admissibility of the evidence, but you might be due damages from the private company. If the cops coerced the searches via warrants then isn't that problematic in that they're just kinda searching through everyone's shit without an specific suspect in mind? I don't really know much on this aspect of the law.

Maybe some lawyers will chime in here.

Rumor is the police secured DNA data from site like "23 and me" to got a potential match from a distant family member and whittled down the search taking in to consideration things like age and location.
They then waited for trash day and took some stuff out of his bin and tested the DNA for a match.
The Sheriff and the DA will not currently disclose how he became a suspect other than saying "DNA"
Kinda scary if you think about it.

You're a day behind on the news, bro.

See previous page for the announcement from the DA office.

I wonder if they have the Zodiacs DNA?

They do.

Unfortunately, there's not much they can do with that new DNA evidence. One of the two primary suspects died in 2010, and the other is nowhere to be found.

I don't think the Zodiac victims' families will ever have any closure, minus the remote possibility of a deathbed confession.

Last edited:
Mine would literally jump up into our horrible wormy apple trees to get at them

120 pound dog going nuts over eating apples. After a wind storm, I'd find him pigging out over all the ones that fell down that had previously been up and out of his reach and actually allowed to grow

I gave him a honeycrisp from the grocery store once. Happiest dog in the world. Tried to trick him with an onion (cruel I know), but he loved that too
As a kid our lab ate basically everything. My brother and I played baseball with our neighbors rotten or messed up apples. It was summer and hot. I was like where are the apple pieces that should be everywhere ? They didn't just dehydrate in the sun. Looked over and my pigdog was busy chomping away on apples

Mine would literally jump up into our horrible wormy apple trees to get at them

120 pound dog going nuts over eating apples. After a wind storm, I'd find him pigging out over all the ones that fell down that had previously been up and out of his reach and actually allowed to grow

I gave him a honeycrisp from the grocery store once. Happiest dog in the world. Tried to trick him with an onion (cruel I know), but he loved that too
I had a dog who would pick tomatoes off the plant and eat them without hurting the plant. She could pick raspberries too.

That arrest would get 1000 times the press and attention. I am sort of a quasi-true crime aficionado and I had never even heard of this case.

No one other than Ramirez is ever going to be the Night Stalker. (The press is calling this killer "the original Night Stalker" in hopes of getting more juice out of the capture.)

He's been known as "The Original Night Stalker" for years.

White flag accepted

You started by trying to correct a factual error you assumed I made. I explained that you misinterpreted me and elaborated, negating your original criticism.

Rather than accept that as case closed (no pun intended) you then declared my opinion on the media's preference for the "Night Stalker" tag wrong - as if an opinion about motive is subject to the same sort of falsifiability as a factual claim.

You were being a classic WR dick. And I find that humorous.

The whole two night stalker thing has been around for a long time.

Were you able to deduce that from the fact that they called the suspect behind the GSK crimes the Night Stalker before Ramirez ever killed anyone? Well done!

Were you able to deduce that from the fact that they called the suspect behind the GSK crimes the Night Stalker before Ramirez ever killed anyone? Well done!
Thank you. I went to Harvard for that. I mean, I didn't attend, but I was there. For like 15 minutes. Well, to be honest, my car ran out of gas a few blocks away. And that is the knowledge I left with.

You started by trying to correct a factual error you assumed I made. I explained that you misinterpreted me and elaborated, negating your original criticism.

Rather than accept that as case closed (no pun intended) you then declared my opinion on the media's preference for the "Night Stalker" tag wrong - as if an opinion about motive is subject to the same sort of falsifiability as a factual claim.

It hurts to be wrong, doesn’t it?

Ramairez may have had 'more juice' but this guy killed just as many people and raped a lot more, and has been walking around free for the last 32 years.

Now that I think about it, this DeAngelo chap seemed to shut down his raping and murdering right around the time Ramairez got pinched. What a crafty little bugger.

Ramirez was like Manson in that he was young, had a striking (evil) appearance and made horrifying statements with a horrifying demeanor in court and in the press. That's what sticks in the public imagination.

This old guy - unless he proves himself a charismatic psycho and makes chilling, quotable public statements now that he is under arrest, will never have that sort of juice. It ultimately has less to do with the quantity of killings and more to do with personalities in the serial killer selling business.

The Green River killer is another example. He admitted to far more murders than Ted Bundy, but if you asked 100 people to identify a picture of Gary Ridgeway and then asked 100 people to identify a picture of Bundy, we both know who's getting more correct hits.

It hurts to be wrong, doesn’t it?

It can in certain situations. But even if I had been wrong in this one it would not have hurt. It would have been the equivalent of using the wrong number for a particular past UFC event. Not a lot on the line there.

Bud, it's okay to admit you were wrong. No need to dig in deeper.

Ramirez was like Manson in that he was young, had a striking (evil) appearance and made horrifying statements with a horrifying demeanor in court and in the press. That's what sticks in the public imagination.

This old guy - unless he proves himself a charismatic psycho and makes chilling, quotable public statements now that he is under arrest, will never have that sort of juice. It ultimately has less to do with the quantity of killings and more to do with personalities in the serial killer selling business.

The Green River killer is another example. He admitted to far more murders than Ted Bundy, but if you asked 100 people to identify a picture of Gary Ridgeway and then asked 100 people to identify a picture of Bundy, we both know who's getting more correct hits.

All true of course. I guess it boils down to how you choose to measure the greatness of the sick fucks. Do you prefer style or substance? To me, the main metrics are the number of rapes and murders under their belt, and how well they did at not getting caught. Finishing rate is also important. Ramirez shot people in the fucking head and they still survived.

Ramirez was a good all rounder. Decent stats. Plus he was flashy and charismatic. But he is nowhere near GOAT material.

If you have time, I would check out the Casefile 5 part podcast series or Hunting a Psychopath. Ive heard that I'll be Gone in the Dark was really good but haven't recommended it yet.

It's really insane shit. He was so close to being caught several times, his actions were so effing strange, his mastery of burglary was astounding, etc. that it captivated me like no other true crime.

Some quick tidbits to whet your interest:

an investigator (the one who wrote Hunting a Psychopath)'s son woke up in the middle of the night to the EAR/ONS shining a flashlight around his room from the roof of their house.

Cops saw him riding his bike by their parked cruiser with his ski mask on while they were parked and keeping an eye out for him.

He used to break in days before and gaslight his victims including leaving items that didn't belong to them in their homes before attacking them.

It's absolute insanity.

Thanks. Maybe I will check that out

Ramirez was a good all rounder. Decent stats. Plus he was flashy and charismatic. But he is nowhere near GOAT material.

For sure. Ed Gein's inspiration of cinema puts him ahead of Ramirez. Gacy for being far more prolific and all around weirdness. Zodiac for style and being unidentified. Green River for getting far more kills and far more pussy. Manson for being an icon of evil and not even having to do the dirty work himself. Bundy for same as Green River and being someone chicks actually wanted to fuck. Ramirez is gatekeeper level.

I had a dog who would pick tomatoes off the plant and eat them without hurting the plant. She could pick raspberries too.
Thread derailed. My dog could eat wild strawberries. She could pick them too, not just chomp the plant. After she started eating them, we had them all over the yard.....ewwww

For sure. Ed Gein's inspiration of cinema puts him ahead of Ramirez. Gacy for being far more prolific and all around weirdness. Zodiac for style and being unidentified. Green River for getting far more kills and far more pussy. Manson for being an icon of evil and not even having to do the dirty work himself. Bundy for same as Green River and being someone chicks actually wanted to fuck. Ramirez is gatekeeper level.

If there's a Serial Killers HoF, Jack the Ripper should be among the first batch of inductees.

Retired cold case investigator tracked the ‘Golden State Killer’ to his door
By NATE GARTRELL | April 26, 2018​

On March 29, as he prepared to turn in his gun and badge, longtime cold case investigator Paul Holes drove out to the Citrus Heights home of Joseph James DeAngelo, parked his car and sat outside.
Holes had been tracking the “Golden State Killer” for decades and it finally felt like authorities were closer than ever to solving the case. DeAngelo’s name was on a short list of viable suspects, and police in coming weeks would surreptitiously recover DNA samples that would connect him to the most notorious unsolved murder and rape spree in California.

DeAngelo’s daughter’s car was parked there too, Holes said, so he theorized the suspect was home. He thought about walking up, knocking on the door and going through a routine he’d done with countless men over his long career: apologize for the intrusion, explain their name had come up during the investigation and ask for a DNA sample.

But after some consideration, he drove home without ever having gotten out of his car. Looking back, he said that decision could have saved his life.

“He is a very dangerous man, and he had an arsenal of guns at his home,” Holes said. “And I was alone.”

If DeAngelo had ended up in a deadly confrontation with Holes that day, it wouldn’t have been his first time attacking an officer, according to police. During a press conference Wednesday, police identified DeAngelo not only as the “Golden State Killer” and the “East Area Rapist” — two of his many aliases — but also as the “Visalia Ransacker,” a serial burglar in the mid-70s who eventually committed a murder, and fired a revolver at an officer’s head as he escaped from one crime scene.

The Golden State Killer’s reign of terror included 12 homicides, 45 rapes and more than 100 residential burglaries between 1976 and 1986. His crimes began in the Sacramento area in 1976 and included the February 1979 killing of Brian and Katie Maggiore, who were shot while walking their dog in Rancho Cordova. He then moved to the Bay Area, where he committed 11 break-ins and sexual assaults in Concord, Walnut Creek, Danville, San Ramon, Fremont and San Jose in 1978 and 1979 before relocating to Southern California in 1979. Over the years, police identified 8,000 possible suspects.

Investigators compared DNA from the Southern California killings to samples available to law enforcement — including ancestry websites — and came up with a pool of people who were possibly related to the Golden State Killer. They began the painstaking task of eliminating each person through circumstantial evidence, and were left with a list that included DeAngelo and a few others.

“DeAngelo kind of bubbled to the surface,” Holes said. “We’d been looking at him and others for six weeks, and when others dropped off, the circumstantial evidence started to build up (against DeAngelo) and we decided we needed to get his DNA.”

It’s unclear whether DeAngelo will ever be prosecuted in the Bay Area rape cases. On Thursday, the Alameda and Santa Clara County district attorney said the statute of limitations prevents them from filing charges. Contra Costa County District Attorney Diana Becton was still reviewing how to proceed on nine rapes there.

Criminal defense attorney Dan Horowitz said there would be no way to prosecute the cases if there’s only enough evidence to allege rape.

“There’s no way to revive it,” Horowitz said. “And you really don’t want to be trying those cases anyway. It’s too painful for the victims, too painful for prosecutors and you’d want to save that for the penalty phase” of a murder trial.

However, if prosecutors could tie the rapes to torture or kidnapping, he said, the charges would become “life punishable,” which removes any statute of limitations. While torture is difficult to prove in court, Horowitz said a kidnapping enhancement would be a “cinch” if prosecutors can show the East Area Rapist tied up victims and moved them against their will.

Much has been written about the Golden State Killer; he’s been the subject of numerous books, a hit TV show on HLN that began airing earlier this year, and hundreds of articles — but few know the case better than Holes. A longtime police detective, Holes has a special passion for solving old cases and not letting go.

His involvement in this case began when he was an investigator with the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office and stumbled upon the case files of a serial rapist who had struck in the county in the late 1970s. Holes took it upon himself to pick up the case and linked the rapes to the Golden State Killer’s murder spree in Southern California.

About a year ago, Holes said, investigators began using new DNA technology that “allows the DNA to be a witness” and helps identify suspects who may be related. Authorities ended up with a short list of suspects that included DeAngelo.

“This has always been my one big case that I was spending most of my time on,” Holes said. “It was maybe a year ago when I realized that all the investigative strategies that I and others had employed just wasn’t cutting it, and trying to figure out how can we leverage the DNA technology.”

The day of the arrest, Holes got an unexpected call from a woman he’d spoken to only once. She was one of the Golden State Killer’s rape victims in Contra Costa, and she asked Holes if they’d caught the right man. He assured her they had.

“To me that’s the ultimate reward,” Holes said. “To make these victims feel safe and to get this guy who is the epitome of evil and end his life as he knows it.”​

Last edited:
Back