After 3 wins including a dominant 50-45 over Lawler, what's the secret for RDA's success at WW?

Lawler hasnt looked good in years. Cerrone beat him as well imo. He is far from the beast that beat Hendricks and Mcdonald.

I think Rda is damn good but he will fall short the minute he fights Till, Wonderboy, Woodley, Colby or another bigger, young welterweight. Lets not forget that Alvarez and Tony beat the fuck out of him.

Hard work, dedication and talent.
This - follow him on instagram, speed of sport, and Parillo and you'll see how hard the guy works.

Not having to cut extra weight. He's a smaller WW but he's big enough to hold his own but some of the bigger guys will wrestle fuck him though.

Too many fighters that could move up a weight class killing themselves to have "an advantage" at a lower weight. Huge misnomer. Look at Rumble as a prime example. The less weight you have to cut the better off you're going to be come fight night.
Yep, you might be a bit undersized at times but you'll have your conditioning on par and be able to push a harder pace - it is a trade off.

In Rumble's case I think he was alway meant to be at 185+

Brazilian living in the US. You know what that means? Immigrant Work Ethic!

Neil Magney is unquestionably in his prime.
And unquestionably not a top 5 WW

He’s lower end top 10. Id argue the magny submission is more impressive than the performance against shot Lawler

I don't know why so many people think that RDA's run in 170 is some god-damn impressive. Well don’t understand me wrong, it’s good, but don't pretend like he's some kind of Whittaker of 170 who is taking division by storm and destroying the best of the best.

Tarec looks like garbage since he started to fight in the UFC. Magny is well, just Magny, who gets destroyed every time he fights a guy who is not a past prime and more that mediocre in one area. And Lawler also looks like garbage since losing the belt, and looked like even more trashy against RDA. I know it was a great performance by Dos Anjos but really, Robbie didn't even try to do something for 25 minutes.

To be totally honest, I think he loses against Covington, then loses again against some Till/Usman/Thompson whatevs, and will start thinking about dropping down having realized he's a bit too small.

Last edited:
Cerrone stats:
won 20 out of 27 UFC fights 74.1%
RDA
won 17 out of 23 UFC fights 73.9%

See its a 50/50. Either guy could have won its a coin toss.
That's an embarrassingly inapplicable use of statistics.

tenor.gif

This, but also those were all pretty favorable matchups. RDA has proven me wrong before and I'd love to see him win, but Covington is a bad matchup for him. I think Lawler would do better vs Colby than vs RDA, just due to styles.

Name one guy as good at BJJ as RDA that Colby has out wrestled. Out grappling guys like Griffin and Barbarena doesn't mean you can out grapple a 3rd degree black belt for 5 rounds. I really like RDA's chances here. That last BJJ black belt that Colby tried to grapple with choked Colby out.

Name one guy as good at BJJ as RDA that Colby has out wrestled. Out grappling guys like Griffin and Barbarena doesn't mean you can out grapple a 3rd degree black belt for 5 rounds. I really like RDA's chances here. That last BJJ black belt that Colby tried to grapple with choked Colby out.
Maia but Maia is so far out of his prime.

Rafa is 100x more dangerous on the stand up. If his take down defence is on par he'll scorch colby.

This is either Rafa schooling colby standing up or colby wrestle fucking Rafa for 5rds (takedown, hold down, repeat).

No weight cut, great cardio and a lot of talent.

You can't flip a coin two times on the same side??.

I can’t speak on the specific topic at hand, but your point is something the idiots on here will never understand.

In 2 50/50 fights, one guy can easily win both fights.

In 2 fights with a favorite, the underdog can easily win both.

People on here are so incredibly simple minded.

Maia but Maia is so far out of his prime.

Rafa is 100x more dangerous on the stand up. If his take down defence is on par he'll scorch colby.

This is either Rafa schooling colby standing up or colby wrestle fucking Rafa for 5rds (takedown, hold down, repeat).

He avoided grappling with Maia like the plague and for good reason, too.

RDA 2.0 is the "new breed" they were talking about like 8-10 years ago. not just a jack of all trades well rounded, but elite in all trades well rounded PLUS incredibly high athleticism such as great cardio conditioning. Rafael Cardeiro and Evolve MMA did wonders for his striking.

And unquestionably not a top 5 WW

He’s lower end top 10. Id argue the magny submission is more impressive than the performance against shot Lawler

RDA was not ranked top 5 WW when he beat Magney either.

Bottom line is we agree on a lot and yes RDA is a beast even at 170

I think his beating of mangey was almost flawless, with Lawler he put on a clinic

Go and watch Cowboy get absolutely wrecked by Masvidal and Till. Those fights looked like target practice. Now watch Robbie have an absolute gritty war with him - a guy picture perfect for Robbie's style.

Lawler turned in super fishy test results in his fight with Rory. This was pre-USADA and NSAC had ordered advanced testing. Since then, he's never looked the same, and its clear he isn't the same fighter. Could be coincidence, could be age and mileage.

Magny is skilled but terrible on the ground (according to his own teammates) and this in my opinion was RDA really looking dialed in with his fight IQ.

Tarec has a 2-4 UFC record, and is not a UFC caliber fighter. Nice guy, fun to watch in StrikeForce, but he's not competent to fight at this level.

RDA is great but on the Lawler side of it...................I think Ruthless is teetering on being shot at this point. I feel Condit, Rory, and Hendricks fights basically has set his downward trend in his career. Not too mention plenty of wars well before that. I'm not sure we see the same RDA vs Lawler if Lawler could rewind the clock back 2 half years. He seems to not quite have the reaction time he use to.

He's no doubt the most complete, well rounded fighter in the WW division. And his legs are goddamn tree trunks, 155 was a tough cut for him cause most of his weight is in his base. His cardio and overall strength just looks way better at 170.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back