After 25 years of MMA.. One thing is painfully apparent...

You aren't very bright. You seem to think you're going to stop a wrestler from wrestling you without using wrestling.

There is no one in the history of MMA that has done this. None, zero, zilch.

You know you can use wrestling defensive only, right? Remember that Mohawk guy from the LHW division that did it for years? Did he dominate using offensive wrestling? Did he stop wrestlers from wrestlefucking him? He sure did.

Next time, I hope you get the chance to give me insight on something but I won' hold my breath.

As others have pointed out, GSP became the dominant fighter that ruled his division through wrestling. If he's utilizing wrestling both offensively and defensively, how does this make him the anti-wrestler?

Chuck was also a wrestler that utilized wrestling to win rounds when he didn't think his striking was enough. I don't see how this makes him anti wrestler.

At least mention a fighter like a Crocop or Shogun who were not wrestlers but still found ways to beat wrestlers.

every kid who ever fought his brother knows that if you can get your opponent down and get on top of him, youre virtually unstoppable.

I feel sorry for people that didn't get this life lesson lol.

The knees on the ground is more than enough against wrestlers. It's like the biggest weapon against wrestlers in MMA.
It would also help wrestlers. They could snap someone down into a front headlock and knee them into living death.

How bad would wrestling look with legal headbutts, no rules against spiking or hitting the spine/ back of the head, and concrete floors?
<{you!}>
Piledriver onto concrete w follow up headbutts

everybody getting Bullock’d

They already had one.

His name was GSP. The epitome of the anti-wrestler.

Fought in a division stacked with top-ranked fighters with wrestling backgrounds and did not have a wrestling background prior to entering MMA himself.

If you train in GOAT, you should be ok.

LOL- GSP was not an anti-wrestler. GSP devoted the time and energy to become a great wrestler. He beat most of his opponents with wrestling. He did not develop impeccable takedown defense. He developed impeccable takedowns.

Few, very few, can do what GSP did and become a great wrestler without a background in the sport. One of the things that puts him in GOAT conversations.

It would also help wrestlers. They could snap someone down into a front headlock and knee them into living death.
Yes it happened but knees on the ground were mostly devastating to wrestlers, or let me call it typical wrestler positions.
Did you watch Pride?

12/6 elbows and knees on the ground (both banned in UFC) are perfect defences AGAINST wrestlers.

It's also the ultimate weapon for wrestlers to use. Imagine Khabib kneeing somebody in the head after he secures position, compared to being on his back trying to defend with elbows. Who's still at a massive advantage?

Yes it happened but knees on the ground were mostly devastating to wrestlers, or let me call it typical wrestler positions.
Did you watch Pride?

Yes & it was mostly the better wrestler delivering such knees.
Coleman won the Pride GP with them, & fubar'd Goes with them.

Ya it's tough to beat, but there have been some fighters who were cryptonite for the wrestlers too. Cro Cop was an absolute killer of wrestlers during his prime, we haven't really seen a dominant striker with that level of takedown defense since.

The only reason wrestlers dominate UFC is because of the UFC rules. They heavily favour wrestlers. The cage heavily favours wrestlers as well.
Which rules would they bring back/get rid of to make it more even?

Yes & it was mostly the better wrestler delivering such knees.
Coleman won the Pride GP with them, & fubar'd Goes with them.

Yeah well everyone used them. The point is that the knees limit the movement for wrestlers. They can't sit there, wait and see where they go when they miss their takedown attempt. There are several positions that would be impossible if knees are allowed.

After 25+ years, it is painfully apparent that fighters with a wrestling background have continued to dominate this sport. Who wouldve ever thought that wrestling which was never really considered a martial art, would be the absolute BEST background a fighter can have in any mma discipline.

Maybe in another 25 years, Fighters will develop a style that will be a nightmare for ALL fighters who excel at wrestling.

You just figured that out?

To be a good striker you need to be good at defensive wrestling. To stop a takedown or get up without a good wrestling base you need to be incredibly strong.

who cares if it's dominant? as long as it's put to good use...

tenor.gif

Illegal 12-6 elbows. Jones was DQ'd (actual L on his record) due to doing the exact same thing on Matt Hamill

Only because rules/scoring/ref are flavored towards wrestlers. If they'd hadn't been US would have never been as dominant as they are/were.

Oh my God you are dreaming dude. Absolutely dreaming. Almost every rule in the book is set up to disadvantage wrestlers.

1) Rounds. If there were not rounds, many fighters that were taken down would never be on their feet again in a fight. What if rounds started the way the ended?

2) Stand-ups. Really? Imagine it the other way around, where a fighter that preferred to stand up was put on the ground if the ref deemed it too boring.

3) Fence grabbing, glove grabbing, short grabbing. You see people use these illegal methods to avoid takedowns. If they were legal, wrestlers would be using them to initiate takedowns and neutralize TD defense. Anything made legal that would give a wrestler more things to grab or use for leverage would disproportionately advantage a wrestler.

Back