After 25 years of MMA.. One thing is painfully apparent...

First thing never foget the great Mark Coleman who bring the g'n'p into the game.
Second wrestling is maybe as old as mankind, so sure this is one of the most effective thing if since the start we never found something more efficient.
I mean just let some toddlers play fight and they'll naturally kind of wrestle because its as natural as walking

Only because rules/scoring/ref are flavored towards wrestlers. If they'd hadn't been US would have never been as dominant as they are/were.

Bj penn and Matt Hughes disagree.

Bj 2-1 over Hughes.

Im talkin about modern day MMA.

Plus BJ got smashed by George via wrestling in the rematch. You could say size difference,but he had no answer for his wrestling.

First thing never foget the great Mark Coleman who bring the g'n'p into the game.
Second wrestling is maybe as old as mankind, so sure this is one of the most effective thing if since the start we never found something more efficient.
I mean just let some toddlers play fight and they'll naturally kind of wrestle because its as natural as walking
And about as entertaining

The only reason wrestlers dominate UFC is because of the UFC rules. They heavily favour wrestlers. The cage heavily favours wrestlers as well.
How bad would wrestling look with legal headbutts, no rules against spiking or hitting the spine/ back of the head, and concrete floors?

With upkicks legal Silva would have ko’d cheal and weidman with ease

Man, you're really stretching here. I've been watching NHB/MMA since the beginning, and the minimum rules from the early days were better for wrestlers. Go back and watch Coleman and Kerr use head butts, chin-to-the-eye submissions, etc. Upkicks were legal back then (Renzo got a win over Oleg with one), but they barely ever won fights.

How bad would wrestling look with legal headbutts, no rules against spiking or hitting the spine/ back of the head, and concrete floors?

The knees on the ground is more than enough against wrestlers. It's like the biggest weapon against wrestlers in MMA.

The fact MMA fighters are still classed as Wrestlers or grapplers or strikers etc tells it’s own story.

Only because rules/scoring/ref are flavored towards wrestlers. If they'd hadn't been US would have never been as dominant as they are/were.

This thread really brought out the bitter riff raff, didn't it? The arguments aren't even worth engaging.

It's not just that wrestling is a great base but also wrestling practices are the hardest thing anyone can do besides possibly Spec Ops selection.

To survive wrestling practice you have to embrace the suck.

You heard it first here, Ninjutsu will rule MMA for years to come

The most standard is BJJ, but basic submissions can be learned. Once you understand basic submission defense and offense, wrestling becomes most important. Anti wrestling afterwards. Then boxing, lastly kicks.
I agree with most of this but bjj is pretty much a requirement. Judo, sambo, catch etc just dont do that well off their back from a defensive stand point. There have only been a few like TK that weren't clueless and didnt have a bjj background

After 25+ years, it is painfully apparent that fighters with a wrestling background have continued to dominate this sport. Who wouldve ever thought that wrestling which was never really considered a martial art, would be the absolute BEST background a fighter can have in any mma discipline.

Maybe in another 25 years, Fighters will develop a style that will be a nightmare for ALL fighters who excel at wrestling.
The rules and the cage is designed for wrestling. Wrestlers did not have such an advantage in PRIDE. They definitely had their strength, but it wasn't like in the UFC.

You are not a very bright individual, GSP only became dominant after learning to wrestle.
ChinaRice is one of the biggest sourpusses on here. Contrarian just for the sake of it

He’d be on ignore if I believed in ignore lists

The rules and the cage is designed for wrestling. Wrestlers did not have such an advantage in PRIDE. They definitely had their strength, but it wasn't like in the UFC.
I really didn't want to bring in PRIDE but now that you do, it's correct and it simply proves that UFC favours wrestlers more than the other major competition we know (knew), which was PRIDE. These are the 2 real references we have.

Back