After 25 years of MMA.. One thing is painfully apparent...

rb3b3

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
After 25+ years, it is painfully apparent that fighters with a wrestling background have continued to dominate this sport. Who wouldve ever thought that wrestling which was never really considered a martial art, would be the absolute BEST background a fighter can have in any mma discipline.

Maybe in another 25 years, Fighters will develop a style that will be a nightmare for ALL fighters who excel at wrestling.

every kid who ever fought his brother knows that if you can get your opponent down and get on top of him, youre virtually unstoppable.

Nothing like some good ole ground n pound.

They already had one.

His name was GSP. The epitome of the anti-wrestler.

Fought in a division stacked with top-ranked fighters with wrestling backgrounds and did not have a wrestling background prior to entering MMA himself.

If you train in GOAT, you should be ok.

After 25+ years, it is painfully apparent that fighters with a wrestling background have continued to dominate this sport. Who wouldve ever thought that wrestling which was never really considered a martial art, would be the absolute BEST background a fighter can have in any mma discipline.

Maybe in another 25 years, Fighters will develop a style that will be a nightmare for ALL fighters who excel at wrestling.

The most standard is BJJ, but basic submissions can be learned. Once you understand basic submission defense and offense, wrestling becomes most important. Anti wrestling afterwards. Then boxing, lastly kicks.

who cares if it's dominant? as long as it's put to good use...
bTpibym.gif

tenor.gif

ZybPe4Y.gif

giphy.gif

BG0ynJJ.gif

FlamboyantWarmheartedEsok-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
While this has been known for some time, it's not just wrestling, its wrestling practice at an early age that builds the mind to endure great degrees of discomfort.

While this is true in all sports, wrestling has always been the king.

It doesnt surprise me at all.

It will only continue to be that way wrestling rules supreme.

They already had one.

Fought in a division stacked with top-ranked fighters with wrestling backgrounds and did not have a wrestling background prior to entering MMA himself.

what are u talking about??? although gsp didnt have a wrestling background, one can argue he was the BEST wrestler in the history of the ufc! He dominated wrestlers with his wrestling... it was truly amazing! GSP won the majority of his fights by WRESTLING!!!! WAKE UP!

They already had one.

And he is one of the best MMA wrestlers himself.

Rabbit punching isn't allowed in combat sports, and for good reason.

I think wrestling is great but everything in context.

All styles are great in the proper context.

The only reason wrestlers dominate UFC is because of the UFC rules. They heavily favour wrestlers. The cage heavily favours wrestlers as well.

I'm old enough to remember fighting before MMA/NHB, and a popular expression was "just get him on the ground and he can't use his boxing/karate/etc."
And wrestling wasn't even popular where I grew up. But I heard accounts of high school/college wrestlers winning fights against good boxers, football players, elite military guys, etc.

With that said, people usually forgot about that when it came to trained fighters competing in a tournament. The hype and mystery of different styles was more interesting. But people have long understood that wrestling can nullify almost everything else.

Wrestling is a different world for sure,You can be a good striker but to be a great wrestler you must start it at very young ages(Randy Couture s words)

The only reason wrestlers dominate UFC is because of the UFC rules. They heavily favour wrestlers. The cage heavily favours wrestlers as well.

This.....

I'm old enough to remember fighting before MMA/NHB, and a popular expression was "just get him on the ground and he can't use his boxing/karate/etc."
And wrestling wasn't even popular where I grew up. But I heard accounts of high school/college wrestlers winning fights against good boxers, football players, elite military guys, etc.

With that said, people usually forgot about that when it came to trained fighters competing in a tournament. The hype and mystery of different styles was more interesting. But people have long understood that wrestling can nullify almost everything else.

Although i almost agree with everything u said, i disagree that people understood that wrestling could nullify almost everything else.

wtf are you from the year 2000? The cage is universally known for help getting up when on the bottom, wrestlers are stood up within 10 secs if they arent advancing after takedowns, and they now have phones where you can go on the internet and learn things "smart phones. Ufc rules are 100 percent geared towards strikers.

They already had one.

You are not a very bright individual, GSP only became dominant after learning to wrestle.

How do ufc rules favor wrestlers? Please tell me what “rules” favour wrestlers?

Yes and no. A lot of fighters have gotten very adapt at defending takedowns by using that cage. They've also gotten very good, for a long time now, at using the cage to get back up. The one thing I think people are missing about what makes Khabib so successful is that he has gotten incredibly good at defeating those tactics which are pretty much standard now in most fighters.

Back