After 10 years off, I'm returning to the ring! Spar [Video]b

Well looks like somebody has already blasted him, it's the white guy in this video:
Video Here

Maybe I should just let it go.. bah hate having a conscience.

Oops. Hadn't seen this post before I added my last reply. At least I was right. :)

Heh. Wonder why he changed his nickname from "Ham" to "Hollywood"?

Yes thats the guy.

I don't want to not give this guy the credit he is due. He works hard and is a cardio machine. As you see even in these fights where he's getting his ass kicked, he doesn't quit- has the cardio to keep going through the punishment. He just doesn't have gifted hands or feet.

It's easy to see him getting lit up by pros like Plant and think a guy off the street would have a good chance.

I sparred him as a 300lb man that has always been a weekend baller, I'm here to tell you that you're only chance is in the first minute. Even if you're not completely spent like me, it means you weigh less and have even less chance of hurting him quickly enough as you can see he's taking clean, flush shots from super middleweight pros and walking through it. So after that first minute or so when you start to wane, he'll still be 100% fresh and getting more aggressive as he feels you wilt.

The guy was a bit of a jerk, but I do find him and his dedication both inspiring and respectable.

Last edited:
What is this? 1991? Record some videos or something dude, I thought this was a funny story after seeing that picture of you with all those pink toys.

yo man much respect to you, wish you all the best! makes me wanna get back in there...i aint gonna but... Ill settle for getting back into fighting shape LOL

As you see even in these fights where he's getting his ass kicked, he doesn't quit.
Except in the one where he runs to his corner with his back to his opponent. :)

I certainly respect him for being a pro and getting in the ring, and I'm not knocking him, but your story made me think he's kind of a dick.

Except in the one where he runs to his corner with his back to his opponent. :)

I certainly respect him for being a pro and getting in the ring, and I'm not knocking him, but your story made me think he's kind of a dick.

Yeh he's a total dick. The fight against Plant is what happens when you put a untalented pro against someone who is world class-but remember he got up from getting knock the shit out of in that fight too. And even Plant took more than a minute to take him out. Plant is 17-0 now, with over 100 amateur fights including a national championship, he's the real deal.

Last edited:
What time are you usually in the gym? I'm there most Mondays and Wednesdays after work as well as Saturday mornings.

Mon-thursday little after 9 am. I'm there for 2-4 hrs then im off to pick up kid.

Last edited:
Day 24, Thursday
10 rounds speedbag
3 rounds heavy bag
1 Tire Drag
3 rounds exercrise bike

Plan on running mileage tomorrow so wanted to keep my legs fresh, so I focused on heavy upper body workout with just enough with the legs to get me huffing and puffing.

Day 25- Lets go run.

My brother is accompanying me on this run but being 50 lbs lighter than me and a long history in running, fared much better than I did.

I ran precisely .6 miles before the stabilizer tendons on the outside of both shins felt like they were bound to snap. I wasn't breathing hard, its just structurally my body couldn't deal with the weight. My calf muscles were tight, but could have probably made it to a mile before cramping. Worried about injuring myself, I decided to replace the rest of my planned run with 3x100 meter sprints- which was something my body could put up with.

Day 26 Satursday(Off day)- Ouch
So running made my body hurt in all sorts of odd places, noteably my lower back and achilles tendons. So I decided to take my saturday off day to heart.

Day 27 Sunday Sunday Sunday
Body was back to normal after the day of rest aside from stiffness in lower back.

30 minutes on the exercise bike
3x 1 minute sprints on exercise bike

Day 29 -WORK!
6 rounds Speed Bag
6 Rounds heavy bag
6 Rounds Double end bag
6 Rounds Shadow boxing
2 Rounds "Shadow Sparring"
3 Big tire pulls
1 Round on exercise bike

Finally talked a kid into shadow sparring with me. He didn't wanna wear gloves(worried i'd actually try to hit him of course) but decided we should after he caught an accidental body shot then I caught one in the eye while ducked low. After he got comfortable, He enjoyed it and it really pressed me stamina wise to have someone working opposite for me to react to. He's an active amateur fighter 19yrs old that attends UT. I had planned on replacing the exercise bike with an extra tire pull but the extra 2 rounds of shadow sparring had me unusually spent. Still 30 rounds worth of work and I'm feeling fine.

Day 28- a LIGHT day.

I've basically only got 2 hrs in the Gym on tuesdays and thursdays so by default their lighter than mondays and wednesdays but I do as much as I can with my time.

6 rounds speed bag
3 rounds Heavy bag
6 rounds double end bag
2 Big tire Drags

Then After I ate the salad I pack everyday, followed up with 8 minutes on the exercise bike. So even on the shorts day we're still putting in 17-18 rounds worth of work.

Speaking of Diet, now is a good time to mention- I've lost 20 lbs in a month, down to 280. I'm happy to be losing 5 lbs a week, but even at this rate it's 6 weeks till my short term goal of 250. My newest child is set to arrive the 10th by the latest, which gives me 1 week + my wife's 6 weeks maternity leave. This gives me just enough time to pull this off- LETS DO IT!

Last edited:
Congrats on the baby, and awesome thread! You got some skills bro. Next chance you get knock that guy out, you already know how to do it. Set a few traps, bait him into following your jab in, and merc that fool. Fuck that guy! Have a backup gym in mind tho ;)

Day Whatever- Huge update!

Did ya think I gave up? Never!

So my daughter was born and making it to the Gym in Austin these last 3 months has been impossible. So what'd I do? I bought a few bags(speed, dbl end, heavy) hung up on my back porch. Then I got a semi tire and got a strap around it with a 40 yard straight that I do go up and down 3 laps to count as 1 tire,(I can do 5 of these back to back now.) I also built a crude boxing ring that you'll see in the sparring videos below. I train 5 days a week, with intense cardio 4 days a week.

I've done a decent time maintaining my diet for long stretches, breaking only occasional. Since the start, I've now lost 50!!! lbs! Sitting happily at 6'2 250, pressing now to get 230 before late January.

Why late January? Because I'm entering the heavyweight golden gloves tournament in Austin at the end of January!

My cardio is on point, even 9 rounds at a high pace doesn't gas me- much less the 3 - 1 minute rounds i'll be fighting in golden gloves.

My friend who also plans on fighting in the golden gloves tournament, trains with me and is in the sparring videos below. He's significantly lighter and his experience with boxing has just been training with me these past few months. To that end he still has a lot more work to do on balance/footwork(same thing,) but I think he'll be fine vs amateurs in his weight class. We spar 3-5 times a week so he's learning quick.

When we spar he wears 16 oz gloves and I wear 18 oz partner savers(title platinum proclaim gloves.)

So here is what was intended for 6, but stops a little early when leans into a jab that rocks him enough to wanna stop:

We don't hear the bell for round 1 to end, we stop briefly after a body shot lands that I throw to make him pay for being off balance, the other brief break is because he gets hit in throat and the last 1 cuz he combos my balls.
Here's the full 6:

Sorry for stopping the continual updates but time is so crunched....

Last edited:
Here's today after a pretty big step up in a cardio load we put in 6 rounds and we're dead before we even started~ lol

Had to take a small break after he speed bagged your nuts. Lol.

So these tire drags I keep mentioning are 240 yards of actual tire movement.
Today we did 4 of them under 1 minute(slowest time 56 sec,) followed by this sparring session

I applaud the return after so many years, and indeed the training seems to be very involved. Awesome stuff.

From the footage I am seeing, I'm just not sure what you are trying to develop when you are sparring after the cardio. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a very good idea to learn how to fight when you are tired because - as has often been quoted - "fatigue makes cowards of us all".

Still though, I do see some bad habits happening when you guys are sparring in there. I'm not sure that those are habits you'll want to have if you happen to spar hard and prepare for a fight. Especially if you want to persist with your efforts after your extended 10 year lay off. One bad session of hard sparring due to bringing bad habits into the ring will both injure and discourage.

Best of luck! I hope that this was taken in the best possible way because I am not sipping on haterade right now.

Take care!

I applaud the return after so many years, and indeed the training seems to be very involved. Awesome stuff.

From the footage I am seeing, I'm just not sure what you are trying to develop when you are sparring after the cardio. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a very good idea to learn how to fight when you are tired because - as has often been quoted - "fatigue makes cowards of us all".

Still though, I do see some bad habits happening when you guys are sparring in there. I'm not sure that those are habits you'll want to have if you happen to spar hard and prepare for a fight. Especially if you want to persist with your efforts after your extended 10 year lay off. One bad session of hard sparring due to bringing bad habits into the ring will both injure and discourage.

Best of luck! I hope that this was taken in the best possible way because I am not sipping on haterade right now.

Take care!

Thank you for being positive in your criticism, that goes a long way.

What were working on is:
1- Trying to maintain balanced stance in all situations with clean footwork near and during engagements
2- Trying to find tricks, gimmicks, combos, and other delivery mechanisms that will translate into landing easier hits later in actual fights
3- Being comfortable and confident in the ring and with maneuvering in it- "instinct"
4- Continuing to push at some level to work on additional cardio gains
5- Mastering your own range and learning what positions are safe

If I showed you what it looks like when I'm fresh and just attack him using quick combos, you'd understand why we try to remove as much intensity from sparring as possible while still making it beneficial for overall training. The weight difference is just too much for it to be any other way. So we work on what we can and try to keep the punches from being more than a teaching tool.

Sometimes this exaggeration of gamesmanship and dead tired state causes additional chances for us to land on each other but this also works to enforce fundamentals as you learn how you got hit in a more forgiving environment than the actual fight.

The idea is to change it up in the 2 months leading to golden gloves when we return to the Gym and can find additional sparring partners. But for now we're doing what we can and making good progress,

Did over a mile today dragging a 50 lb tire!

Last edited:
Back