After 10 years off, I'm returning to the ring! Spar [Video]b

wiseolddragon

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I want to start by making it clear that this thread is just as much about holding myself accountable as it is about cataloging my journey.

At age 12, I was trained as a boxer in a gym that had low level fighters that relied on toughness and aggression and as a result most of my boxing skill would have to be described as self taught. I sparred alot against these hyper aggressive brawlers which as a kid who thought too much, viewed it as a challenge to avoid being hit.

Over the next 8 years it became easy to avoid getting hit completely. I'd "spar" with friends and the Texas State football team all the time, which people only agreed with given the condition I didn't hit back. But I was good enough and really nothing was more fun than showing people they couldn't hit me even if they tried. I know I wasn't doing this with people who fought like boxers, but each time I got a little better, my reflexes calmer. Through high school and college I must have done this thousands of times multiple people in a row, with the very rare person who wanted to try it with getting hit back, having to eat a single straight right in between all my bobbing and weaving. For me it was just fun. The average person wasn't a danger to me anyway on sheer physicality, I'm 6'2 and at the time was 200 lbs lean and muscular.

Here I am at 18:
OF2OBC7.jpg

I fought 15 amateur fights with a record of 13-2, my last being at a Fraternity sponored Fite Nite in San Marcos, Texas, I was 21 years old.

My 2 losses left me little in terms of actually testing myself to my limit. In both fights, the other guys were beaten and bloodied while I was completely undamaged.

My first loss came as a result of the dodge and bomb fighting style that I developed on my own over endless sparring. This fight was a 3 rounder. The guy was more experience but had developed a fighting style that presented no danger. His technique was to put nearly nothing on his punches and just land what he could. I responded to this by covering up high, letting hit my body with nothing shots- then uncorking a big shot on him.

Every time I hit him he staggered back, took a second then continued with his stunning pace of throwing endless punches with nothing on them. This continued in the same pattern for all 3 rounds, it was the bloodiest I've seen in an amateur fight till that point and I was unscathed save for a few scrape marks on my forearm. Anyway, it was an amateur fight so he won on points- I hadn't yet developed a killer instinct and it was what I needed to do instead of defending and potshotting to beat that guy.

My next loss came at the Fraternity sponsored 'Fite Nite' mentioned above. These guys were not fighters, had never even been in a boxing gym before. I didn't bother to train and I didn't need to, I spent all the time I was supposed to be in class in college actually playing basketball 6 hrs a day at the campus recreation center and of course continued feaux-sparring with anyone that was willing.

As it turned out I was fighting one of the guys from the Fraternity who was hosting the event. So I had it in my mind that I wanted to show off my elusiveness in the first round and I did. I stood right in front of the guy and made him miss everything. I didn't hit him, he never landed on me- I was just having fun with someone I knew wasn't at my skill level.

Then I go to my (sponsor provided)corner and their all pissed because I wasn't out there winging punches. My dad who had made the trip from across Texas to come see me then told me he saw all 3 Judges had scored round 1 as 10-1 rounds.

So I go out and let this kid have it. But he's not a boxer, and every time I land a few clean he turns away. The ref warns him about it, then gives him a standing 8 count for doing it. These are 1 minute rounds so I don't have much time to work with and right away get back to nailing this guy- Another standing 8 count ensues and the 1 minute round is over.

The crowd has been continuously booing since the first round as the guy on the microphone(Another member of the fraternity) has basically been shitting on me the whole time "This guy suckssssss," etc. The crowd had already turned on me by the second round and were furious when the real violence started.

I get back to my corner and this guy is laughing about what I just did. He says "If he turns around again you walk right behind him and pop him when he turns back."

Now round 3 starts and I start hitting him with everything I wanted to. He was done, scared, wanted no more, and was gassed. So you can imagine the crowd's reaction when I followed the advice of my corner. He turns away after eating a sloppy hook and walks away. I ball my fist and walk right behind the guy and basically cold cocked the shit out of him as soon as he started to turn his his head back around.

The crowd goes apeshit, there is about 5k in attendance and people were trying to climb over the rails their so drunk and angry. I remember that even though I was in a fight, all I could here was the shaking bass of that many people booing as loudly as they can.

The ref stepped in an gave another 8 count. After that he called a doctor that shined a light in his eye and said he was ok. The fight is started again and hit him with maybe 1 or 2 jabs before the time is over(completely wasted by the doctor Fiasco.)

I have never heard a crowd as loud as when they announced me the loser. To my shock, everyone was cheering and screaming their heads off that the other guy was given the decision.

9 years 3 kids and 100 lbs later, I still never stop thinking about boxing. I'll still spar anyone willing, but when you're a grown man very few are actually willing. I've studied boxing books and become an armchair expert and can still rip a speed bag.

It would be near impossible for me to back down to 200lbs, so I'll have to be fighting superheavyweights for this trip down memory lane. There is 2 boxing gym's I'l be visiting in austin texas that I'm hoping will let me spar right away- I'm already old and I want to fight again before im TOO old. The hope is to get hooked up with a fight as quicky as possible by one of these gym's.

Here is what I look like now, 6'2 300lbs, I can still move around extremely well for a guy my size and play basketball in city leagues regularly.
IfR5FDH.png

Anyway, I'm open to advice. My experience with boxing has been entirely amateur, my experience in the boxing gym has been with one poorly ran gym that trained brawlers rather than boxers.

What do I need to bring and what are real expectations to how quickly a gym will let me spar?
I've got head gear, handwraps, but I'm sure they won't let me spar in the 14oz gloves I have.

Also if you know anything about Richard Lord's Boxing Gym or South Austin Gym, I'd like to hear it.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Age doesn't dictate how far you go the skills you have do.....it shouldn't be up to a gym to let you spar, surround yourself with a small group internally and work from there,dont go seeking out help, know who your help is dont focus on sparring focus on steady 2/3 heavy bag work to get into the groove. sparring wont matter as much off the bat.You also have 50 pounds off,so bag work/cardio will do that.Your only 30.....wait till you hit 40

Age doesn't dictate how far you go the skills you have do.....it shouldn't be up to a gym to let you spar, surround yourself with a small group internally and work from there,dont go seeking out help, know who your help is dont focus on sparring focus on steady 2/3 heavy bag work to get into the groove. sparring wont matter as much off the bat.You also have 50 pounds off,so bag work/cardio will do that.Your only 30.....wait till you hit 40

Lol, thats what I'm worried about- the whole point is not to wait till I hit 40.

I have a heavy bag and speed bag at home that I work on regularly. Exercise doesn't shed weight off me but I know that is because of eating habits, something I can get ahead of quickly. At anyrate what do you mean by being 50 lbs off? In boxing anything 200-unlimited is heavyweight. I'm guessing you mean it as I need to lose it to be able to go 3 rounds. This might true but I'd still rather fight in the mean time than wait and fight when I'm 50lbs lighter. I've got decent wind and know how to box while conserving energy. Since most bouts at this level are going to be short, I'm confident I can handle amateurs in that short of a fight- even if I don't win.

Thanks for your help. I know at this point I'm unlikely to go anywhere in boxing, so I just want to get some bouts asap. I don't feel I need training, a bit of conditioning and sparring to sharpen back up- and I'll be trying to jump into any event or be on reserve if a guy pulls out. There is no time to waste.

Lol, thats what I'm worried about- the whole point is not to wait till I hit 40.

I have a heavy bag and speed bag at home that I work on regularly. Exercise doesn't shed weight off me but I know that is because of eating habits, something I can get ahead of quickly. At anyrate what do you mean by being 50 lbs off? In boxing anything 200-unlimited is heavyweight. I'm guessing you mean it as I need to lose it to be able to go 3 rounds. This might true but I'd still rather fight in the mean time than wait and fight when I'm 50lbs lighter. I've got decent wind and know how to box while conserving energy. Since most bouts at this level are going to be short, I'm confident I can handle amateurs in that short of a fight- even if I don't win.

Thanks for your help. I know at this point I'm unlikely to go anywhere in boxing, so I just want to get some bouts asap. I don't feel I need training, a bit of conditioning and sparring to sharpen back up- and I'll be trying to jump into any event or be on reserve if a guy pulls out. There is no time to waste.
My friend is a pro HW since 2000's hes about 40 just shot at state title shot .He fought wilder a few years ago...you don't know what opportunities you may get.I brought up 40 simply ,stating if your an old 30 you better get another mind set.from experience ive improved all around at my age NOW.Im 41.Beining anywhere over 250 at 6 feet is a no no.

My friend is a pro HW since 2000's hes about 40 just shot at state title shot .He fought wilder a few years ago...you don't know what opportunities you may get.I brought up 40 simply ,stating if your an old 30 you better get another mind set.from experience ive improved all around at my age NOW.Im 41.Beining anywhere over 250 at 6 feet is a no no.

Heh thanks for the encouragement. I do believe I could beat the old version of myself, but I also know that a rolled ankle takes 4 months instead of 2 weeks to heal now. Plus with the 3 kids including a boy with nonverbal autism, I know the time for me to be able to pursue my own hobbies will dwindle. I'm not saying I'm done, stick a fork in me- just that I acutely aware of how much more of a challenge this would be for me later in life and I just don't want to run out of time.

Heavyweight mature laaateee my friend. You're probably not even in your prime, if you're a HW. HW is less about speed and reaction time, and more about being tough as shit. I'm sure you will do just fine, you look like a solid dude(No homo).

Give it a go, see if you're chin still holds up.

Heh thanks for the encouragement. I do believe I could beat the old version of myself, but I also know that a rolled ankle takes 4 months instead of 2 weeks to heal now. Plus with the 3 kids including a boy with nonverbal autism, I know the time for me to be able to pursue my own hobbies will dwindle. I'm not saying I'm done, stick a fork in me- just that I acutely aware of how much more of a challenge this would be for me later in life and I just don't want to run out of time.

Got my respect for having an autistic son, must be a challenge. Wish you the best of luck for whatever level you fight at, if it gets video put it in here, I'd love to give it a watch, fellow sherbra

UPDATE DAY 1!

I decided on Richard Lord's Boxing Gym in Austin Texas. I checked a few other places but they were more fitness focused for the jazzercise group, claimed multiple disciplines(KICKBOIXING, BOXING! JJ!) and they just really turned me off. There also wasn't anyone in these places and I know if Im looking for sparring, most people won't want to so I would need a big chunk of people that were the real deal just to have a chance at sparring early on.

900545_737.jpg

This bustling rugged place however was just about perfect. First of all Richard Lord was in the gym the whole time, as a trainer he has trained multiple world champion females and had guys fight for world titles.

He took about 30 minutes just talking to me and showing me around the place. I tried my damnedest to show my boxing skills on the speed bag and showing him how I move so he knows I know basic foot work. Mostly because I didn't want to show how bad my Cardio was.

But of course he wanted to put me through my paces so he put me on a punch resistance machine, which is basically 2 steel poles braced on 4 sides by air pistons similar to what to whats on screen doors so that they close slow. He had me go a minute full out jab,straight jab straight. At the conclusion of this minute my Arms were noodles and if it had been another second I wouldn't have been able to finish.

I did my best to hide the fact that I was pretty much spent from just that as he guided me outside to drag a Giant tire 40 yards and return with it. As a big guy it was pretty easy to drag the tire at first and I took off with it like it wasn't even on me. I hit the 40 yard mark and turned back. This is where it got hard, this was done on clumpy gravel and had a deceptive incline for the trip back. None the less I kept at least a jogging pace on the way back and finished it out.

At this point I'm feeling sick to my stomach, my legs are done, rubber, ass sore and my head is pounding. He asks me if I'm ok and I lie and say yes and has me jump up on the tire and bounce, a footwork drill he is particularly fond of.

about 7 seconds of this and it was Vomit time. I hadn't eaten anything so it was about 5 minutes of dry heaves. Anyway he tells me to take a break and get some water. I get water and sit for about 5 minutes when my body delights in the fact it has something to throw up now. I rush outside and puke the water up.

I came back in and sit down and he sits next to me and starts talking to me, says I'll be in shape in 3-4 weeks tops and he'll get me a fight within 2 months.

I didn't get to spar but there was a lot of guys I talked to that were all cool with sparring. Hopefully if my legs aren't tenderized meat tomorrow I'll get to spar with a fellow that most people recommended as a level headed sparring partner.

I'm extremely excited, and since I already paid the $75 monthly, even more committed.

I'll update again the first time I spar, which will hopefully be pretty soon.

Last edited:
Heavyweight mature laaateee my friend. You're probably not even in your prime, if you're a HW. HW is less about speed and reaction time, and more about being tough as shit. I'm sure you will do just fine, you look like a solid dude(No homo).

Give it a go, see if you're chin still holds up.

Thats the one thing I'm sure I got. A few years ago I had a 70 mph jetski accident that split my forehead wide open and I didn't go out. But honestly thats not my fighting style- I'm a patient cerebral fighter that waits for an over commit to exploit and bomb on. I have no intention of slugging it out with my hands wide lol.

Got my respect for having an autistic son, must be a challenge. Wish you the best of luck for whatever level you fight at, if it gets video put it in here, I'd love to give it a watch, fellow sherbra

He's more difficult than an average kid but not as much as you'd think. There are something that are easier. The reason I have time to go train in Austin is because the best Autism place in the state is located in Austin. It's an hour drive from where I live, he has a 5 hr therapy session 4 times a week and during those 5 hrs I got plenty time to kill. So in a way it's because of him I have this opportunity at all.

I'll update with videos as soon as I have something worth videoing.

Last edited:
My next loss came at the Fraternity sponsored 'Fite Nite' mentioned above. These guys were not fighters, had never even been in a boxing gym before. I didn't bother to train and I didn't need to, I spent all the time I was supposed to be in class in college actually playing basketball 6 hrs a day at the campus recreation center and of course continued feaux-sparring with anyone that was willing.

As it turned out I was fighting one of the guys from the Fraternity who was hosting the event. So I had it in my mind that I wanted to show off my elusiveness in the first round and I did. I stood right in front of the guy and made him miss everything. I didn't hit him, he never landed on me- I was just having fun with someone I knew wasn't at my skill level.

Then I go to my (sponsor provided)corner and their all pissed because I wasn't out there winging punches. My dad who had made the trip from across Texas to come see me then told me he saw all 3 Judges had scored round 1 as 10-1 rounds.

So I go out and let this kid have it. But he's not a boxer, and every time I land a few clean he turns away. The ref warns him about it, then gives him a standing 8 count for doing it. These are 1 minute rounds so I don't have much time to work with and right away get back to nailing this guy- Another standing 8 count ensues and the 1 minute round is over.

The crowd has been continuously booing since the first round as the guy on the microphone(Another member of the fraternity) has basically been shitting on me the whole time "This guy suckssssss," etc. The crowd had already turned on me by the second round and were furious when the real violence started.

I get back to my corner and this guy is laughing about what I just did. He says "If he turns around again you walk right behind him and pop him when turns."

Now round 3 starts and I start hitting him with everything I wanted to. He was done, scared, wanted no more, and was gassed. So you can imagine the crowd's reaction when I followed the advice of my corner. He turns away after eating a sloppy hook and walks away. I ball my fist and walk right behind the guy and basically cold cocked the shit out of him as soon as he started to turn his his read back around.

The crowd goes apeshit, there is about 5k in attendance and people were trying to climb over the rails their so drunk and angry. I remember that even though I was in a fight, all I could here was the shaking bass of that many people booing as loudly as they can.

The ref stepped in an gave another 8 count. After that he called a doctor that shined a light in his eye and said he was ok. The fight is started again and hit him with maybe 1 or 2 jabs before the time is over(completely wasted by the doctor Fiasco.)

I have never heard a crowd as loud as when they announced me the loser. To my shock, everyone was cheering and screaming their heads off that the other guy was given the decision.

This story is great ha ha. And good luck man, anyone who has the balls to get in a ring will always have my respect.

I'm nearly 42 and I still box though it is only training and sparring these days, I no longer fight though Im not ruling it out completely. I'm fitter and a better boxer than whjen I was fighting 20 yaers ago but my reflexes, speed and durability arent quite what they were.
Also I have 2 girls with Cerebal Palsey so there is no need to let family life stop the things you enjoy doing. It may well be a benefit! Boxing and kickboxing has been an outlet for me over the last 9 years since my girls were born, without it I probably would've gone fckin mad. Good luck man

UPDATE DAY 2- SPARRED A 175'er

I got into the gym around 9:30 AM. The Tattoo'd sparring partner people had asked me to look for was leaving just as I got there.

There was a stocky guy and a thin Mexican working in a group and going around station to station for 3 rounds. They obviously had a routine they wanted to stick to so I decided to just do round after round one the speed bag to get my coordination with it back completely. It came back like riding a bike and I probably did 45minutes-1hr worth of the speed bag.

Then I saw Richard Lord outside with a pro female making her tire drag. Then I saw him harness it on and inspired me to go check it out because this guy is every bit of 50 and a small guy so I wanted to see how he fared compared to me.

He was using a smaller tire which I jokingly ribbed him about making me drag the giant tractor tire while he was dragging a car tire. He quipped back that he drug the big one for many years but now with knee issues he does the small one.

Anyway he did do it 3 times so I went ahead and strapped on the Vomit machine(The giant tire from yesterday,) as he was leaving and took off with it at a leisurely pace. Once again I died before I got back with it but forced my legs into a jogging motion till I made it to the wall. No vomit, no headache, and I was able to catch my breath in just a few moments. My body is apparently adjusting quickly to the demands I put on it. In fact I was feeling so good I went ahead and did a second drag with the smaller tire and was able to power through it without much problem.

The whole time there is this unstoppable workout machine, a guy about 2-3 inches shorter than me, lean and trim, walking around weight 175 lbs. I was so impressed by him that when he passed by my endless love affair with the speed bag I had to compliment him "Good work man, you're a beast- you've been going hard since I got here." He tells me "thanks man," and later in the morning comes by and sits to chat with me.

He has an official Ammy record of 7-1, but has apparently won all 8 exhibition contests he had entered and is now full-on pro after being unable to find fights any longers in the amateurs as a 28 year old in a thin division that would have no interest putting their unskilled amateurs against this guy. In my head I'm thinking "YES REAL DEAL, HE'S GONNA SPAR WITH ME."

So he mentions how someone was supposed to show up to spar with him but they weren't here so he was probably going to take off and be back around 2pm(which i'd already be gone by then.)

Immediately I seize the opportunity and tell him I absolutely love sparring and would keep it light if he's itching to spar. He responds happily, "ok, cool" then goes and grabs some headgear off the wall.

I gear up too, I had bought my mouth piece that morning so I hadn't got a chance to fit it so it was a bothersome piece of shit and my head gear blocked way more of my sight than a typical one would.

The constant round timer that goes off every 3 minutes in this gym rings and we touch up. Immediately I snap a jab out that lands beautifully at full extension. Apparently, I still have perfect mastery of my distance and I don't throw a single punch short the rest of the time. He's very busy but is having trouble dealing with my range and is throwing everything extremely short from outside.

I shift my focus from landing jabs on this guy at range(he was too quick for me to get him with anything else really,) and decide to test whether I could still safely bait, if the reflexes I relied on in my youth were still working now. So to start with I stop applying any pressure at at all and get my guard up high. He's hesitant about this and has obviously seen it before because he does not engage my guard or commit anything but few very light jabs to my head that are either parried or land on glove anyway. He avoids engaging even when I drop my hands and lean my head out completely.

What he does do is push to my left or right and wing into my body. Now I have a few answers for body shots in my sparring repertoire. 1 is to simply turn and lean down so that the shot lands on your hip/love handle area as your ribs move off the vertical line your opponent is attacking.
2. Is a bit more complicated but it goes like this: During a body blow your opponent cannot guard his face on the same side he threw the punch. He has to either have good head movement where he shifts his head off line so it snot where I punch when he lands to the body OR you will always be able to trade one to his face if you're ready for it.

The first thing I try is body rolling the punches like I mention earlier. However the shit headgear I purchased gives me absolutely 0 peripheral vision. It was like getting hit in the body inside a dark closet. Since I couldn't see it coming it was impossible to roll at the right time. Though these punches were coming 1 at a time, he landed 3-4 good ones that robbed me of breath and left a pain that wouldn't go away.

So option 2 it is. I get my guard up high and wait for the body shot to come. As soon as I feel it I drop my jab. The jab knocks him back, we laugh for a second while he shakes it off and we get back to it. Unfortunately the effects of his body shots were still there just as fresh as he first landed them, and I was gassed as hell. This 3 minutes is going far too long.

I set the trap in my mind again and this time he goes to my right side and as I feel it about to land I zip out a sort of turning straight right where I throw a straight but twist my body to get it to scrape diagonally instead of going straight out. It lands clean and he shakes his head before setting about going for the bodyshots again.

I've had enough of this taking body shots business and decide the only way I could defend myself was to lead with jabs and keep him out. It worked while I could maintain but I was quickly so tired that I decided to have a break against the ropes and he followed me in. The plan was to cover well and counter when something clear came. But this guy was in love with body work, and I still had the problem of not being able to see the side of my ribs with the clunky head gear on so I'm taking a few punches and since I can't see him I'm having to counter with blind hooks on the side he's on. They mostly miss, 1 or 2 lands but I'm so spent by this point they have nothing on them and he is undauntedly continuing to take potshots at my body.

Mercifully, the round ends.

We let a minute pass and he's still 100% so we start the next round.

There's a way to land guaranteed free jabs if you can just get the right angle on you opponent. I call it T'ing- and basically what it is getting your lead shoulder lined up with your opponents center-line. Once you're there you can turn your body completely perpendicular to his and use the extra reach you gain from your shoulder to your sternum to spam fearless jabs way out of his range with an extra 4"-6" of reach advantage just from the position. My plan this round is to exploit this angle.

However he apparently has been taught this lesson before even if he doesn't know how to use the technique because he won't let me get anywhere near the angle I'm trying to get and somehow managed to keep us fairly square despite my incessant circling. My answer to this of course is to just speed up. I start moving quicker, pivoting hard around the ring in a damn near sprint to get the position I've set my mind to. While I couldn't get my left shoulder on the angle I wanted- he was continually exiting off to the right side. Had he been exiting left the simple answer is a left hook, he's going that way, all I gotta do is scrape it out there and it'll land.

But he keeps exiting right. So as he exits I switch to a southpaw and throw a jab with my right that lands clean. He steps back and I pursue- back in an orthodox stance. Apparently he didn't figure out what happened and instead just tried to exit to my left. For this he was met with a left hook thrown the way I described earlier- wide with full knowledge he's moving that way.

However this relentless pursuit quickly ended as my legs turned into sand bags and my lungs were burning. I check the clock and there is still 2 minutes left. I know I need the rest and decide to retreat onto the ropes, cover and counter with weighty punches. This doesn't work because of the head gear problem so I'm just eating a body shot every few seconds and missing with my counters.

I exit out of this and quickly realize I've got nothing left. Searching for the Clock again I find it says 1:30, I try to hold ground flat footed center of the ring but can land nothing outside of jabs that are actually beginning to hurt my elbow because I have throw them so fast for them to land on him. Meanwhile the peripheral vision problem is just as big of a problem here as he continues to land the occasional body hit and I don't have the gas to spring out counters. 1 Minute left, It's all I've got, I can barely even stay standing I'm so gassed. My guard has already found its way to my hips a few times and now I find the idea of keeping it up unbearable. I drop to a knee and say "I'm done man, good fucking work."

I'm thrilled by what I learned from this and happy to have gotten the opportunity. My boxing IQ is still working, my reflexes and range are still good. The stocky guy from the Mexican pair watching from the side asks if he can spar a round with the guy that just got done with me. Still 100% fresh, the 175'er agrees and he starts a round with him. This guy's reactions were terrible, he dropped both hands past his waste when body shots started landing and was eating 3-4 at a time since his "defensive" reactions provided no real defense. He tried pushing forward but had terrible guard and defense and just got lit up for 3 minutes while I encouraged him to keep a high guard and move forward. At the end of the round, he vomitted over the side of the ring and flopped onto his side completely in a condition I avoided by instead saying I was done.

We had a few good laughs talking about sparring and contrasting how easy things like running were for him vs me. I told him about what I thought he needed to do to avoid the head counters when he went to the body and I talked to the big guy about how to counter getting hit in the body. They loved getting advice on what to work on and complimented my jab, especially the one that rocked him coming in for the body shot. He said he was worried when I started to run him down to start the second but the 4 of us erupted in laughter when I revealed "yeh but after I tried that for a few seconds I was Gasssssed." I'll try to get a pic with them tomorrow.

Anyway they took off and I spent the rest of the time working 1,2's on a double end bag and slightly more work on the speed bag. I finally left at 1:30pm.

I feel great, I'll probably take a bit of a break from the daily updates but I'll still keep posting interesting bits.

Last edited:
Nice man keep it up. Its an interesting read and good luck getting back into decent shape.

I'm nearly 42 and I still box though it is only training and sparring these days, I no longer fight though Im not ruling it out completely. I'm fitter and a better boxer than whjen I was fighting 20 yaers ago but my reflexes, speed and durability arent quite what they were.
Also I have 2 girls with Cerebal Palsey so there is no need to let family life stop the things you enjoy doing. It may well be a benefit! Boxing and kickboxing has been an outlet for me over the last 9 years since my girls were born, without it I probably would've gone fckin mad. Good luck man

Thanks for the luck and I wish you luck on your journey as well. I'm probably the most level headed person I've experienced so I've been able to take everything in stride after the shock/denial of the initial diagnosis wore off. To this point I'd just been sleeping in my car or playing card games on my phone during his therapy. After 2 days in the Boxing gym, I'm sort of ashamed of that.

One thing that is probably different in our situation is that my wife is the primary bread winner, she makes about 5x what I do working the weekends. So I support her a ton, and leaving her alone with the kids is a huge no-no. Men when they get off work want to go have fun, women it seems instead prefer exclusively the company of their man. It's a a fair situation, I can't complain much.

Nice man keep it up. Its an interesting read and good luck getting back into decent shape.

Thanks for the support, it seems weird that after 2 days I feel so much better. Hopefully in another 2 weeks I'll be exponentially better. It's easy to get motivated to get to the gym when the alternative is to sit in my car.

Thanks for the support, it seems weird that after 2 days I feel so much better. Hopefully in another 2 weeks I'll be exponentially better. It's easy to get motivated to get to the gym when the alternative is to sit in my car.

Yeah the gym is a much better option than sitting in the car. Plus you get to do something ypeu thought you might never do again.

Back