AFN is down. How many will miss the UFC card?

Fluffernutter

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
As the title states, due to the government shutdown, AFN is down.

I assume this will effect many overseas who watch UFC cards on AFN

Normally, I dont pay much attention to AFN. But the thing I do enjoy is the free UFC and WWE PPVs. But, if get desperate, I will go off base.

That fucking sucks. Stay strong brothers! I remeber how much of a morale booster it was to be able to watch the super bowl out in the sand box. Hope this gets sorted out soon.

I'm not American. Is this basically what's happening:
The democrats want protection for the immigrants in the "Dreamers" program written into law and the republicans don't. The federal government needs it's funding bills to pass to pay for federal organizations to operate, or they must shut down. The democrats saw this opportunity to refuse to pass the funding unless protection for the Dreamers is attached to it, essentially holding the government hostage.

What happens if neither side concedes?

The democrats want protection for the immigrants in the "Dreamers" program written into law and the republicans don't. The federal government needs it's funding bills to pass to pay for federal organizations to operate, or they must shut down. The democrats saw this opportunity to refuse to pass the funding unless protection for the Dreamers is attached to it, essentially holding the government hostage.

Republicans control both houses of congress as well as the White House. They can pass there particular budget without a single Democrat vote.

Problem is they can't get their own party to agree to the bill.

This isn't on the Democrats.

Yes and No. "Dreamers" are the children of Illegal immigrants that were not born in the United States. The Republicans are willing to grant them Green Cards and a path to citizenship as long as they get the Green Light on building the Border Wall. So if it takes 6 years to build the wall the Dreamers will have 6 years to gain legal citizenship.

It's all cat and mouse bullshit. The American immigration policy needs a serious overhaul. It's achievable, but it's a fuck show of red tape to legally immigrate here. The Democrats are basically trying to hold out until they get their way. It's a double edge sword really. One side will say it's a human rights issue, the other will say that the party is siding with illegal immigrants over it's own country's military.

Last edited:
Republicans control both houses of congress as well as the White House. They can pass there particular budget without a single Democrat vote.

No.

60 votes are required in the Senate. Republicans only have 51.

Not true...

A spending bill needs 60 votes in order to advance in the Senate, which means Republicans need Democratic votes to keep the government open. With Sen. John McCain still out of the Senate for health reasons and an Alabama Senate seat recently flipping from red to blue, Republicans need at least 9 Democratic votes to pass the spending bill.

Not true...

A spending bill needs 60 votes in order to advance in the Senate, which means Republicans need Democratic votes to keep the government open. With Sen. John McCain still out of the Senate for health reasons and an Alabama Senate seat recently flipping from red to blue, Republicans need at least nine Democratic votes to pass the spending bill.
I'm talking about the vote for the CR. Republicans only need 50 votes for the temporary continuing resolution and they don't have them.

Back