Status
Not open for further replies.

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Afghan Opium Production 40 Times Higher Since US-NATO Invasion

Published 31 August 2016

About 90 percent of the world's illegal opium is estimated to come from Afghanistan.

Since the U.S.-led NATO invasion of Afghanistan in 2001, the production of opium in the country has increased by 40 times according to Russia’s Federal Drug Control Service, or FSKN, fueling organized crime and widespread death.

The head of the FSKN, Viktor Ivanov, explained the staggering trend at a March U.N. conference on drugs in Afghanistan. Opium growth in Afghanistan increased 18 percent from 131, 000 hectares to 154, 000, according to Ivanov’s estimates.

“Afghan heroin has killed more than one million people worldwide since the ‘Operation Enduring Freedom’ began and over a trillion dollars has been invested into transnational organized crime from drug sales,” said Ivanov according to Counter Current News.

Prior to the invasion of Afghanistan, opium production was banned by the Taliban, although it still managed to exist. The U.S. and its allies have been accused of encouraging and aiding in the opium production and the ongoing drug trafficking within the region. Ivanov claimed that only around 1 percent of the total opium yield in Afghanistan was destroyed and that the “international community has failed to curb heroin production in Afghanistan since the start of NATO’s operation.”

Afghanistan is thought to produce more than 90 percent of the world’s supply of opium, which is then used to make heroin and other dangerous drugs that are shipped in large quantities all over the world. Opium production provides many Afghan communities with an income, in an otherwise impoverished and war-torn country. The opium trade contributed around $US2.3 billion or around 19 percent of Afghanistan's GDP in 2009 according to the U.N.

Around 43 percent of drugs produced in Afghanistan are moved through Pakistan, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

The Islamic State Group is reported to have recently taken over opium production and trafficking. In November, the extremist group was estimated to be earning over $US 1 billion from the opium trade. Profits also go to international drug cartels and money-laundering banks.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne...her-Since-US-NATO-Invasion-20160831-0003.html

_________________________________________________________________________________

I find it hard to believe that we could allow this potential source of income for the Taliban or ISIS, for any reason.

It is difficult for me not to put on my tin-foil, and reason that the US government must have control of this income somehow, for them not to scorch every opium field across the nation of Afghanistan.

I understand that this could turn the populace against US agendas, but when faced with the possibility that billions of dollars are going to fund the Taliban or ISIS, this would seem to demand that we bite that bullet.

Discuss...........

Make all drugs legal and this problem will fix itself

#warondrugs

<Kpop775>

The Taliban (under Mullah Omar) hated opium, so i'm not surprised at all. Now that they're diminished and Omar is dead, i'd put money on it that they're using it to fund themselves. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they're cooperating with the Afghan govt to be honest.

Afghan Opium Production 40 Times Higher Since US-NATO Invasion

Published 31 August 2016

About 90 percent of the world's illegal opium is estimated to come from Afghanistan.

Since the U.S.-led NATO invasion of Afghanistan in 2001, the production of opium in the country has increased by 40 times according to Russia’s Federal Drug Control Service, or FSKN, fueling organized crime and widespread death.

The head of the FSKN, Viktor Ivanov, explained the staggering trend at a March U.N. conference on drugs in Afghanistan. Opium growth in Afghanistan increased 18 percent from 131, 000 hectares to 154, 000, according to Ivanov’s estimates.

“Afghan heroin has killed more than one million people worldwide since the ‘Operation Enduring Freedom’ began and over a trillion dollars has been invested into transnational organized crime from drug sales,” said Ivanov according to Counter Current News.

Prior to the invasion of Afghanistan, opium production was banned by the Taliban, although it still managed to exist. The U.S. and its allies have been accused of encouraging and aiding in the opium production and the ongoing drug trafficking within the region. Ivanov claimed that only around 1 percent of the total opium yield in Afghanistan was destroyed and that the “international community has failed to curb heroin production in Afghanistan since the start of NATO’s operation.”

Afghanistan is thought to produce more than 90 percent of the world’s supply of opium, which is then used to make heroin and other dangerous drugs that are shipped in large quantities all over the world. Opium production provides many Afghan communities with an income, in an otherwise impoverished and war-torn country. The opium trade contributed around $US2.3 billion or around 19 percent of Afghanistan's GDP in 2009 according to the U.N.

Around 43 percent of drugs produced in Afghanistan are moved through Pakistan, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

The Islamic State Group is reported to have recently taken over opium production and trafficking. In November, the extremist group was estimated to be earning over $US 1 billion from the opium trade. Profits also go to international drug cartels and money-laundering banks.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne...her-Since-US-NATO-Invasion-20160831-0003.html

_________________________________________________________________________________

I find it hard to believe that we could allow this potential source of income for the Taliban or ISIS, for any reason.

It is difficult for me not to put on my tin-foil, and reason that the US government must have control of this income somehow, for them not to scorch every opium field across the nation of Afghanistan.

I understand that this could turn the populace against US agendas, but when faced with the possibility that billions of dollars are going to fund the Taliban or ISIS, this would seem to demand that we bite that bullet.

Discuss...........

I will take this over blowing up people. They need to embrace capitalism.

Make all drugs legal and this problem will fix itself

#warondrugs

<Kpop775>

Same way to fix underage sex trafficking.

The Taliban (under Mullah Omar) hated opium, so i'm not surprised at all. Now that they're diminished and Omar is dead, i'd put money on it that they're using it to fund themselves. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they're cooperating with the Afghan govt to be honest.
Well, they absolutely are growing or selling it now out of necessity. I read an article recently about some guy who went to Afghanistan in Taliban territory and one of the Taliban guys told him that they hate opium just as much as anybody but they need it. When you look at how corrupt and incompetent the Afghan gov is, I wouldn't be surprised either if some of these guys were making money off of it.

I recently saw some investigate documentaries where heroin production was mentioned. The report strongly suggested that the US and ANA look the other way so as not to piss off the locals because they are poor. Also some local police commanders get kickbacks.

Last edited:

Muslims are capitalistic as fuck. On top of being a pedophile and a warlord, Muhammad was also a merchant. He was a businessman. What an interesting life he led.

<{jackyeah}>

<IllKillU>

have_a_seat.gif

Well, they absolutely are growing or selling it now out of necessity. I read an article recently about some guy who went to Afghanistan in Taliban territory and one of the Taliban guys told him that they hate opium just as much as anybody but they need it. When you look at how corrupt and incompetent the Afghan gov is, I wouldn't be surprised either if some of these guys were making money off of it.

I'd love to see that article if you can find it, it sounds really interesting. And I totally believe it, we kinda fucked Afghanistan all the way up. Sometimes it makes me wonder if we might not have been better off trying to get OBL without destabilizing the whole country and then just leaving it to the Taliban. Mullah Omar, for all his extremism, at least could be reasoned with if you could make a compelling case. I'm not sure that what we left them is better than what we came into. Sure Democracy and all that, but sometimes shit just doesn't work the way we want it to.

I'd love to see that article if you can find it, it sounds really interesting. And I totally believe it, we kinda fucked Afghanistan all the way up. Sometimes it makes me wonder if we might not have been better off trying to get OBL without destabilizing the whole country and then just leaving it to the Taliban. Mullah Omar, for all his extremism, at least could be reasoned with if you could make a compelling case. I'm not sure that what we left them is better than what we came into. Sure Democracy and all that, but sometimes shit just doesn't work the way we want it to.
Taliban fucked up by harboring OBL but quite frankly, they seem to just care about what goes on in their border of Afghanistan and I guess the tribal areas of Pakistan. They aren't trying to export terrorism to America or Europe. They want to do the opposite and expel foreigners from Afghanistan. They're terrible but I don't see how we've actually helped the Afghan people.

Taliban fucked up by harboring OBL but quite frankly, they seem to just care about what goes on in their border of Afghanistan and I guess the tribal areas of Pakistan. They aren't trying to export terrorism to America or Europe. They want to do the opposite and expel foreigners from Afghanistan. They're terrible but I don't see how we've actually helped the Afghan people.

They were waging genocide and ethnic cleansing on the non-Pashtuns though. They slaughtered about 8000 Hazara and raped many. The Taleban wanted to cleanse Afghanistan of non-Pashtuns and make it essentially a Pashtun only country. The Taleban was masking Pashtun supremacy under the cloak of Islam. Now the Afghan Taleban has taken up the mantle.

Way back in the late 90s or early 00s I saw a TV interview with a top ranking Taliban officials where he says exporting Heroin to Europe is justified in Islam because Europeans are infidels but local consumption of Heroin by Muslims is haram. They only started to move against the poppy farmers to gain US support.

Considering that the US is the largest consumer of illegal drugs, its no coincidence that the heroin epidemic started while opium cultivating has increased in Afghanistan.

Considering that the US is the largest consumer of illegal drugs, its no coincidence that the heroin epidemic started while opium cultivating has increased in Afghanistan.
I don't think we get any Afghan heroin, I believe Mexico grows their own. Afghan heroin goes to Europe & Iran and of course locals in Afghanistan.

I don't think we get any Afghan heroin, I believe Mexico grows their own. Afghan heroin goes to Europe & Iran and of course locals in Afghanistan.

90% of the world's illegal opium comes from Afghanistan. That basically guarantees that a large quantity of US heroine is from Afganistan.

If we had not invaded who is to say it wouldnt be higher? Maybe the Tallies decide this is how we can make lots of money. Hell, if they make lots of money, they may become happy, relax a little, drop some of that hardline islamic crap, become more and more progressive. With money comes prosperity, prosperity breeds education, education will wash away all the ignorance. They might just start to see things like the West does. Look how cocaine money transformed Miami in the 80s

Now the Persian Gulf oil shiehks have lots of money, and their countries are still shit holes. But the ruling elites are anything but, and are oppressing their own people to maintain status quo. Pashtuns, Tajiks, Hazaras, and Uzbeks are a different breed. Afghanistan was heading towards modernity just before the Soviet Afghan war started. They may just go back to this.

If we had not invaded who is to say it wouldnt be higher? Maybe the Tallies decide this is how we can make lots of money. Hell, if they make lots of money, they may become happy, relax a little, drop some of that hardline islamic crap, become more and more progressive. With money comes prosperity, prosperity breeds education, education will wash away all the ignorance. They might just start to see things like the West does. Look how cocaine money transformed Miami in the 80s

Now the Persian Gulf oil shiehks have lots of money, and their countries are still shit holes. But the ruling elites are anything but, and are oppressing their own people to maintain status quo. Pashtuns, Tajiks, Hazaras, and Uzbeks are a different breed. Afghanistan was heading towards modernity just before the Soviet Afghan war started. They may just go back to this.

We have a heroine epidemic in this country, and 90% of the world's opium comes from Afghanistan. Not to mention the billions of dollars this is providing to the Taliban and ISIS.

How can you justify this cost by pointing to the Afghan economy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back