advise on home defense (guns)

yeah it not just you but I have had heard that before too, and it doesn't make sense to me. No biggie, Sorry if i came off rude.

It's about avoiding a shoot-out altogether, which is certainly safer than walking into ye old two-way shooting range, no matter what you're carrying.

Innocent people don't like getting shot. Guess what? Bad guys don't like getting shot either. Never mind bullets, bad guys often avoid houses if they have dogs. If you hear someone racking a shotgun in another room presumably the self-preservation instinct is to get out of there.

edit: drugs can make people do unnatural things, but you still have a ready shotgun in that scenario

It's about avoiding a shoot-out altogether, which is certainly safer than walking into ye old two-way shooting range, no matter what you're carrying.

Innocent people don't like getting shot. Guess what? Bad guys don't like getting shot either. Never mind bullets, bad guys often avoid houses if they have dogs. If you hear someone racking a shotgun in another room presumably the self-preservation instinct is to get out of there.

edit: drugs can make people do unnatural things, but you still have a ready shotgun in that scenario

EUREKA!

TEACH YOUR DOG TO HOLD A SHOTGUN

If the robber doesn't get scared at the dog's barking/presence, then the dog will blow his head off.

So let me get this straight. You are suggesting walking around your house looking for the person who broke in while you were asleep....with an unloaded weapon? And waiting to load it until you actually see AND ARE RIGHT BEHIND the intruder....then you rack a round into the chamber?

Doesn't sound very smart to me. What do the experts say?

Check out what is said at 2:20 to 2:24

Ok good point there. Good video as well. Thanks.

Not really. I was referring to the use of scare tactic more than anything (and, to some degree, making fun of television shows where people do that and the intruder runs away). You can have one in the chamber and 3 others ready to go (California has a stopper in the tube ftw). Probably would work better when you had 5-6 in there, but you know, state regulations.

Again, that was my point. I, personally, think it's a horrible idea because you can never be sure of what the person that broke into your house realluy has in mind. Everyone say they are probably there just to rob you and will bolt when they hear the slide rack are fools IMO. Why? Because what if they aren't probably trhere to just rob? I'm not willing to bet my life, nor my families lives, on a "probably". If you, or anyone else like to gamble with their lives....go for it.

I live in Cali as well and I have an 8+1 12 guage that is fully legal without out any special permits. I'm not sure where you got your info, but you (we here in Cali) are not limited to 3+1. The only 3+1 limit I am aware of is for hunting. But that's only if you are hunting and not for home defense or general purpose.

As far as have one in the chamber and racking out a round for a scare tactic? Again, I think it's foolish. Why reduce myself by a round when I may get into a shoot out? Would you really take your 3+1 shotgun and rack out a round so you are now limited to 2+1? I wouldn't do it with my 8+1. Again, I don't like to gamble with my life. But to each their own.

Do you have any kids with you where you live TS? If yes, then I would think twice about getting guns. You drastically increase their chances of killing themselves.

If you really want to get a gun, I'd recommend going to a range and extensively using a shotgun (buckshot, no slugs, so it doesn't go through a wall and kill your neighbors) and seeing how comfortable you feel with it.

Most importantly, don't start thinking everyone is trying to break into your house and kill you, or you'll end up blowing away the pizza guy.

No, Petey I do not have kids. That would be a completely different story.

I will be going to the range (probably this weekend) and renting a shotgun to test out along with a .40 cal. I'll give them the scenario and compare their advice to what I've already received and what has been said in this thread (a lot of really helpful stuff here guys, thanks).

And no, I'm not paranoid just aware I guess. But I get what you're saying :icon_twis

Again, that was my point. I, personally, think it's a horrible idea because you can never be sure of what the person that broke into your house realluy has in mind. Everyone say they are probably there just to rob you and will bolt when they hear the slide rack are fools IMO. Why? Because what if they aren't probably trhere to just rob? I'm not willing to bet my life, nor my families lives, on a "probably". If you, or anyone else like to gamble with their lives....go for it.

I live in Cali as well and I have an 8+1 12 guage that is fully legal without out any special permits. I'm not sure where you got your info, but you (we here in Cali) are not limited to 3+1. The only 3+1 limit I am aware of is for hunting. But that's only if you are hunting and not for home defense or general purpose.

As far as have one in the chamber and racking out a round for a scare tactic? Again, I think it's foolish. Why reduce myself by a round when I may get into a shoot out? Would you really take your 3+1 shotgun and rack out a round so you are now limited to 2+1? I wouldn't do it with my 8+1. Again, I don't like to gamble with my life. But to each their own.

Good point.

If someone broke into my home and I had a gun there I honestly cannot say that I would even want to give them a chance to run or possibly get the gun away from me by making a noise- at least based on the videos I've been watching and the advice in this thread. I also won't be getting the gun until I'm 110% confident with using it.

I don't keep one in the pipe so it's necessary to rack one, a loaded gun laying around could be trouble. With a magazine extension tube and a side saddle I wouldn't be out of ammo. If I start blasting away with a scattergun with 00 buck it's not going to take many shots to close the deal. BTW, this is all theoretical for me now that I have kids - all my guns are in a safe and I now investigate all "disturbances" with a baseball bat.

Ok good point there. Good video as well. Thanks.

You're welcome. While I'm discoursing with CraztJHL about the racking a round as a scare tactic he did give one very good peice of advice. For you (a smaller woman) if you go the shotgun route I would recomend, like CrazyJHL, a 20 guage.

I aloso recomend finding a range near you that rents all sorts of firearms if possible. Spend some time and money renting various types/calibers/guages of guns and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

You're welcome. While I'm discoursing with CraztJHL about the racking a round as a scare tactic he did give one very good peice of advice. For you (a smaller woman) if you go the shotgun route I would recomend, like CrazyJHL, a 20 guage.

I aloso recomend finding a range near you that rents all sorts of firearms if possible. Spend some time and money renting various types/calibers/guages of guns and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

I absolutely will. I appreciate it.

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination , but coming from a big family of hunters I have a competent understanding of firearms . Personally I think you should go with something with a little less "Ass" behind it , something like a sixteen gauge should be sufficient for home defense . As for a brand Mossberg makes a fine product . Best of luck!

You'll need far more training to effectively defend yourself with a shotgun in a home than you will with a handgun. Quite simply, the shot gun limits your range of motion, accuracy and firing rate. You said you've fired a few handguns before, did you ever fire a glock? Or a 22? Less consequence to the user, higher magazine capacity, less noise on loading.

With a shotgun, you have to lug that shit through hallways, good luck not being spotted as you enter a hallway or room.

With a shotgun, you have to find an effective way to hide it. Good luck making some 4 foot long hunting rifle hidden in the closet.

And the best defense to a home invasion is preventative, not reactive. Waking up in the middle of the night to engage a fire fight with some cholos is not an effective way of defending your home.

Home owner's insurance, no-window doors with a strong non-key dead-bolt, a basic recording system, an alarm, a loud dog and good neighbors are far more effective and cheaper alternatives to a loaded weapon. But a weapon can be considered once those are all in order. I would much rather know when someone is trying to break in, along with knowing it will take them time to get in, along with knowing a pit bull is going to tear their shit up, along with knowing an alarm will go off as soon as they do get in and the cops are on their way, rather than knowing I can have a John Woo gun blazing showdown with the bad guys from Home Alone.

CinderBlox, go with a 9mm instead of a .40

And get something with a high capacity mag like an XD/M or a glock with a +mag extension.

CinderBlox, go with a 9mm instead of a .40

And get something with a high capacity mag like an XD/M or a glock with a +mag extension.

And a dog, home owner's insurance, a dead bolt lock, an alarm. No reason you can afford a pistol and can't afford those as well. A shepard mix from the pound plus some Petco training won't exceed $500 and is far effective.

I'm still a fan of simplicity. Why not a revolver?

160125_large.jpg

I guess it is a city ordinance thing, seemingly the local LE pushed it through (I actually think it is 5+1). The local shops only sell them with the stopper.

Personally, I would not rack out a round (nor was I trained to do so), but I know a few people who would. I actually wrote that sentence wrong, and meant it would be better to just leave it that way (thus, agreeing with you). I was just in a hurry and $#^@ed up. Which was not very good on my part, seeing what the thread was about.

I still think you should get a dog if you have not done so already.

Last edited:
And a dog, home owner's insurance, a dead bolt lock, an alarm. No reason you can afford a pistol and can't afford those as well. A shepard mix from the pound plus some Petco training won't exceed $500 and is far effective.

I have an alarm, deadbolts and vigilant neighbors and we all have each other's phone numbers.

A dog is not an option now due to my work schedule and traveling a lot- it wouldn't be fair to it.

You'll need far more training to effectively defend yourself with a shotgun in a home than you will with a handgun. Quite simply, the shot gun limits your range of motion, accuracy and firing rate. You said you've fired a few handguns before, did you ever fire a glock? Or a 22? Less consequence to the user, higher magazine capacity, less noise on loading.

With a shotgun, you have to lug that shit through hallways, good luck not being spotted as you enter a hallway or room.

With a shotgun, you have to find an effective way to hide it. Good luck making some 4 foot long hunting rifle hidden in the closet.

And the best defense to a home invasion is preventative, not reactive. Waking up in the middle of the night to engage a fire fight with some cholos is not an effective way of defending your home.

Home owner's insurance, no-window doors with a strong non-key dead-bolt, a basic recording system, an alarm, a loud dog and good neighbors are far more effective and cheaper alternatives to a loaded weapon. But a weapon can be considered once those are all in order. I would much rather know when someone is trying to break in, along with knowing it will take them time to get in, along with knowing a pit bull is going to tear their shit up, along with knowing an alarm will go off as soon as they do get in and the cops are on their way, rather than knowing I can have a John Woo gun blazing showdown with the bad guys from Home Alone.

I've fired a glock, a .40 cal and a .38 revolver. The glock was probably the "best" one- it looked like that black one that someone posted on the first page of this thread. All black, compact.

You're right about storing a shotgun. I was already wondering where I would safely place something like that. I can't just leave it resting under the bed...

Why do you say this?

I cant say why WoW would say it but i.prefer a 9mm over a .40cal. I find a .40 to be a snappy rd and pushes the barrel up more then a 9 would, so my follow up shot are better with a 9mm. i also prefer a .45 over the .40 too. the .45 seems to push back the barrel instead of up. Thats just why i prefer a 9mm over the but it be i just dont have enough exp shooting the .40.

Back