Advice on training and achieving my goals

SRN

SOCRATEEEES
@Silver
Reaction score
The next semester will be quite busy for me with school and work so I really want to plan ahead so I won't waste my time or get frustrated.

A bit of background; Last year, after realising I looked like shit, I started training seriously for the first time in my life. I did Stronglifts and IF at the same time and lost a good amount of weight. I was happy with the weight lost but a bit discouraged and embarrassed because I was feeling weak while lifting. Maybe it was because I was doing fasted? I didn't even squat 80kg and my press numbers were even more depressing. It was a start tho for someone who had never done anything like that. I was eating right, counting everything, sleeping ok but was under a lot of stress. Unfortunately I got sick and had to go under the knife which caused me to stop everything since mid Sept. Since then I've been focusing on other matters and didn't return to the gym. I did start running (C25K) recently to get things under control and not balloon up again.

Alright, so here's the thing I need your guys opinion. I'm 31, 80kg, 171cm. I still look like shit! I'm really soft and not impressive looking. Tbh I expected more muscle gain doing Stronglifts. I have no intention to be yuge but I don't want to look small either. I'm already short and small ffs I want to look like a grown man not a boy lol I also want to be strong so it's not just aesthetics. I couldn't care less about being ripped. The problem is I don't know what to do next. What's the best route for me? What should I be dedicating the next 6 months of my life?

I am planning on doing MT or going back to BJJ simply because I miss doing combat sport. I can live without it for now if necessary. My main focus is weightlifting, for sure. I was considering doing Oly because I always admired the sport but I'm not sure it's the right thing for me considering my goals. Power-lifting? Back to Stronglift? Crossfit? ... Naked yoga? lol

tl:dr
31 y, 80kg/176lbs, 171cm/5'7. I look like shit! I want to be bigger and stronger and stop looking like a fat boy.
What kind of training would be the best option for me?

Happy new year!!!

tl:dr
31 y, 80kg/176lbs, 171cm/5'7. I look like shit! I want to be bigger and stronger and stop looking like a fat boy.
What kind of training would be the best option for me?

1A. Learn good form on the basic strength exercises.
1B. Work on building a decent level of strength.

2A. Educate yourself on the fundamentals of what good nutrition looks like.
2B. Practise them in your daily life.

Best option is to find a competent strength coach to assess your needs and guide you through the process.

1A. Learn good form on the basic strength exercises.
1B. Work on building a decent level of strength.

2A. Educate yourself on the fundamentals of what good nutrition looks like.
2B. Practise them in your daily life.

Best option is to find a competent strength coach to assess your needs and guide you through the process.
I like having a coach, that's another reason why I was thinking about Oly. I had a coach before I started Stronglifts but unfortunately it was too expensive for me and I couldn't go anymore. It was enough to learn the basics although I probably don't have a good form considering my numbers.

2A and 2B. I think I'm alright in that department, I'm actually attending a chef school so we learn a lot about nutrition. Not necessary sports nutrition tho but I've been reading a lot about that.

Cheers!

Send me a message if you are interested in working with a remote consultant. Free of charge, but I will have some stipulations.

Like Dietititan school (sans CSSD), chef school will not provide you with enough knowledge or applications of practical exercise/performance nutrition. Sure you can learn more on your own, but will you have the time?

Tldr
Let me save you some time, cause regardless of your question it will be answered like this:
*SKWAT
*drink a gallon of milk everyday so you can be 20% bf like these guys
*eat mooar
*you're not eating enough, eat mooar
*don't do bodybuilding exercises
*squat, bent over row, overhead press and good mornings that's all you need
*if your back hurts eat Moar, deadlift and squat

Lmao

Ideally you should be squatting and farting everyday. Basically you should look like a big blob of muscle and fat or you're doing it wrong. Also anything under 12% bf is unhealthy.
I almost forgot: don't do abs EVER. Loading your spine with weight everyday doing squats from pins and rackpulls with 200% of your 1rm is all you need for your core.

Send me a message if you are interested in working with a remote consultant. Free of charge, but I will have some stipulations.

Like Dietititan school (sans CSSD), chef school will not provide you with enough knowledge or applications of practical exercise/performance nutrition. Sure you can learn more on your own, but will you have the time?
I'm not gay for pay dude... hahaha What exactly are you proposing?
I totally agree with not having enough knowledge about nutrition I just meant I'm not totally clueless about it.

No worries. Just offering an an avenue for assistance.

I would use you specifically as a case study. Nothing will change in regards to how I run my practice, but I want to be able to document it and use it for anecdotal evidence with my colleagues and other coaches.

Preferably, we would start once you make any training/nutrition decisions.

Back