Advice on lightweight, durable yet soft BJJ Gi

noobsnoot

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi fellas, I'm looking for my next gi (once you got the gi bug, it's hard to stop looking at new gis) but I need this to be:
- lightweight (i live in a tropical area where the temperature is around 30-40 degree celcius)
- durable (not stretchy, last long)
- preferably soft
- giving advantages is great to have (hard to grip, lapel engineering - i heard koral mkm has this)
- not dries up my wallet.

I was about getting a shoyoroll but after looking some reviews, many says it's just a hype and an average gi with overpriced tag.

So I did my research again and found many answers that many of you can vouch for it (please do if you have experience with these gis)

- Vulkan Pro Light (on sale but I cant find A2 for me)
- Vulkan VKN Pro
- Koral MKM Comp (but i heard it's not light)
- Kingz Nano
- Wartribe Helium

My current Gi:
- Tatami Estillo 4.0 - love it but not light
- Grips Secret Weapon 2.0 - not my favourite
- Springroll (local brand) - light but not the best quality material. Very rough and crunchy after wash.

I have 3 Kingz gis and I generally like them. However, the pants restrict my movement more than other gi pants I own. Depending on your body size/type that might be an issue for you. I don't have the Nano but I bet it is cut the same as the others I own.

If this gi is for everyday training I advise against having any rip stop material. Any rip stop on the gis I have owned were the first things to wear out or rip.

I understand what you mean by the gi bug. The secret is to always know someone that has more gis than you. This way you never feel like you have a problem when you compare yourself to them.

What kingz do you have in your rotation? Is it soft or rough like sandpaper after wash? How is it against opponents' grip?

I have 3 Kingz gis and I generally like them. However, the pants restrict my movement more than other gi pants I own. Depending on your body size/type that might be an issue for you. I don't have the Nano but I bet it is cut the same as the others I own.

If this gi is for everyday training I advise against having any rip stop material. Any rip stop on the gis I have owned were the first things to wear out or rip.

I understand what you mean by the gi bug. The secret is to always know someone that has more gis than you. This way you never feel like you have a problem when you compare yourself to them.

I have 2 comp 450 V3 and the first basic Kingz gi. The 450 has a thicker collar and is harder to grip than the basic. However, it is not like a double weave collar. The other parts of the gis do not have anything that will make them difficult to grip. There isn't any extra material on the inside of the sleeves for example. They are both pearl weaves and are not really soft or rough after washing. I have had harder pearl weave gis and they are not as soft as a gold weave gi. The basic is a really good entry level gi and I would recommend it to a beginner that wanted a gi but did not want to spend a lot of money. The 450 is a good mid level gi but I wish the pants were cut a little better.

I been looking for a new GI as well.

GI comfort comes down to the weave pattern. Check this out...

http://otmfightshops.com/blog/tag/gi-weaves-101/
I have 2 comp 450 V3 and the first basic Kingz gi. The 450 has a thicker collar and is harder to grip than the basic. However, it is not like a double weave collar. The other parts of the gis do not have anything that will make them difficult to grip. There isn't any extra material on the inside of the sleeves for example. They are both pearl weaves and are not really soft or rough after washing. I have had harder pearl weave gis and they are not as soft as a gold weave gi. The basic is a really good entry level gi and I would recommend it to a beginner that wanted a gi but did not want to spend a lot of money. The 450 is a good mid level gi but I wish the pants were cut a little better.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm really confused which gi I should buy now. I saw some good reviews on Vulkan Pro Light and I talked to the guy in Vulkan that the Vulkan VKN Pro is using the same material as the pro light but more fitted build.

Also, I saw good reviews on Kingz especially balisitico. Now they have the new balistico 2.0 which is just $10 more than the discounted Vulkan VKN Pro (Original price $200) where the balistico is just $160 MSRP.

Any other comments for other gi's?

I bought a Moya gi last year it's super light,I wear it when it's hot and it makes the difference. I also have a koral kimono wich is heavier and a keiko wich is in the middle of the previous two. So you might wanna check out Moya too.

The I have the koral mkm and it's a heavy gi. The koral classic is a lot lighter. The 93 hooks 2.0 is light and priced right

If you like the Estilo 4 then the Tatami Estilo 5 would be a natural choice.

The Koral MKM's are nice as well but I find cut for a stockier person where the Tatami's are more tailored. Excellent quality though.

If you are looking for a very lightweight Gi, then check out the Keiko slim fit. Super soft and light but more for slimmer athletes but super comfortable.

Back