advice on cutting weight for my first kick boxing fight

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by The guy that never speaks, Feb 28, 2017.

1. The guy that never speaks White Belt

The guy that never speaks
    So to the point I basically I have my first kickboxing fight in roughly 2 months I'm 5'6 and 170 pounds flat. I've never cut more than 10 pounds before and it was years ago since I cut for my high school wrestling days. My coach says that since it's my first fight I probably shouldn't cut too much weight but aimed at 155. But my main concern is that at 5'6 wouldn't I be at a huge size/reach disadvantage? Also a problem I've been having is even at 170 I don't have a lot of excess love handles or fat around my body and I even have some vascularity on my arms which leads me to suspect that the most I'd ever be able to cut down to is 145 unless I purposely drained my strength and lost muscle mass but the thing is I already don't lift weights so I'm not even quite sure how I'd even go about that anyways. I have a stocky mesomorph type of build And I eat a lot lean protein stuff like salmon and chicken breasts I'm not sure if that plays a part in it? It just frustrates/confuses me a bit because guys my height are usually like 125-145 like why can't I seem to get my natural weight down? I've been trying to cut my sodium and sugars down and eat "right" but I'm only a week into the diet so maybe I'll see progress later on?

2. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    You are going to be at a huge reach distavantage at 5'6. If there are muay thai guys competing in this tournament, at 155 (if the fighters come from a city or area that's heavvy on striking over grappling) they'll usually be 5'11-6'1.

Is this a same day weigh in or 24h?

If you're quite muscular with an already low bodyfat (say 10%), the most you could cut down would be 160-165 and cut from there.

Really its a tough spot, after going through alot of nonsense, fighting at the wrong weightclass and being very weak there, I advise you to "find" your ideal weight class even if your height contradicts it.

For not losing weight, at the end of the day, you need to consume less calories than your maintenance to lose weight. Sodium doesn't affect weight loss (fat), it just holds onto water, do dropping sodium, you essentially are dropping water weight.

A week is too new, but if after next week you're not losing weight, then you need to readdress it.

Badger67 likes this.
  3. Pope Leo VII Blue Belt

Pope Leo VII
    stop being a bozo and listen to the coach.

15lbs is a big cut for your 1st fight

4. MisterHappy White Belt

MisterHappy
    Find out what your body fat is now and go from there by doing the math. It'll give you an idea of a realistic range where you and your coach then determine at which point of that weight range you perform best/have the best perceived "advantage".

5. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Badger67
    This, i wanted to be a 145er originally, after a year of wrestling at 127- 136, i realized you need to stay in your lane unless necessary (teh lava streetzh).

6. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    teh mean streetz of Canada.

For some reason, Ont. is very heavy on striking so "cutting" knowledge is at its infancy. My eyes were opened when we traveled south to the US for fights, and saw guys who knew how to cut. Despite being short, they were strong, athletic, and were able to perform well compared to the bunch of 6'1 @ 140-150 beanpoles

I wish we had wrasslin in HS here, it would be cool.

7. pokerandbeer Green Belt

pokerandbeer
    at 5'6" i would just compete at 155 and drop the weight to be more competitive but i dont know enough about you to make that a hard recommendation.....high level i would say you need to cut to 145 or 135 even

the problem with weight class sports is that people are afraid of gaining weight but if you arent already at a high level you should get bigger and compete in whatever weight class you fall into

i am 5'9" and have competed at 185 and 170...i would be most competitive at 170 but im not a high level guy making thousands of dollars a fight doing it

8. Pope Leo VII Blue Belt

Pope Leo VII
    listen to your body and find its natural weight and go from there..

this is your 1st fight, stop stressing about where you are fighting and more on training and doing everything in your power to be ready when the bell rings

picking a weight thats out of your range is going to do way more HARM then good