Advice needed: want to start a WMMA fan created YT channel.

leto1776

Sherdog Wet Shaver
Platinum Member
Reaction score
my goal is to start a YT channel that focuses on WMMA fights, that provides honest pre fight predictions, post fight analysis, etc, regardless or race, religion, or creed. Want to counter a garbage channel that describes himself as the best WMMA focused channel on YouTube.

1. What equipment do I need?
2. Would enough people here follow me there?would anyone here be willing to point me to lesser known fight?

For example, 1.if an event has more than one WMMA fight, I want to cover both, not pick and choose.
2. I want to leave personal politics out of it. This includes false accusations of racism, etc.
3.i want my channel to focus on skill, not personal issues.

I'd follow for sure. Crap with equipment advice though I'm afraid.

But all the best of luck getting it off the ground. I'll look forward to it.

If this garbage channel is who I think it is then I'm all down to see this happen, I'll sub for sure! :)

Decent mic, decent camera. Nothing overly expensive. I think you could probably get both for like 50 quid (or whatever that translates to in non quid saying lands).

I'd follow. I'm not a massive WMMA fan personally but anyone covering the sport and getting interested in smaller fights is good.

Yes I'd definitely follow it.

If you're talking about the guy who calls himself 'coach' and rants like a lunatic I stopped subscribing because that channel sucks.

Yes I'd definitely follow it.

If you're talking about the guy who calls himself 'coach' and rants like a lunatic I stopped subscribing because that channel sucks.
His rants have grown worse lately. Everyone's racist (even though I destroyed him with logic that Brazilians aren't a race), whacko conspiracy theories, and rampant illogical Cyborg worship.

His rants have grown worse lately. Everyone's racist (even though I destroyed him with logic that Brazilians aren't a race), whacko conspiracy theories, and rampant illogical Cyborg worship.

Yeah, lol. He doesn't even analyze fighting techniques. He just spouts off paranoid stuff & weird 'advice' to people he doesn't know.

I'd follow, as long as we don't have to call you coach

I think any regular cam that rec at 720p and has ambient noise's ‎suppression should work for it

I don't watch any vlog or channel TBH but you have my support at least for the following counter :D

my goal is to start a YT channel that focuses on WMMA fights, that provides honest pre fight predictions, post fight analysis, etc, regardless or race, religion, or creed. Want to counter a garbage channel that describes himself as the best WMMA focused channel on YouTube.

2. Would enough people here follow me there?would anyone here be willing to point me to lesser known fight?

For example, 1.if an event has more than one WMMA fight, I want to cover both, not pick and choose.
2. I want to leave personal politics out of it. This includes false accusations of racism, etc.
I host the bloody knuckle show we aren't as active now but we were in cage-fights.com and we still do some shows I would love to help out.

I actually got a few invicta, and bellator girls you can talk to. Be consistent and interviews r the key to building a audience that's the podcast world I would start with that and then move to YouTube.

I'd follow, as long as we don't have to call you coach

Haha. What's the guy referring to when he calls himself LDBC? I stopped watching after an episode where he was driving around ranting about someone with no context like who what when where & why.

I'd definitely subscribe to it!

I think when it comes to equipment, a good camera and mic are the most important. Beyond that, a curtain for a backdrop and maybe some lighting if your home has none.

Overall the presentation < the content.

I host the bloody knuckle show we aren't as active now but we were in cage-fights.com and we still do some shows I would love to help out.

I actually got a few invicta, and bellator girls you can talk to. Be consistent and interviews r the key to building a audience that's the podcast world I would start with that and then move to YouTube.

Cool. Thanks for the advice.

Haha. What's the guy referring to when he calls himself LDBC? I stopped watching after an episode where he was driving around ranting about someone with no context like who what when where & why.

Lions Den Boxing Community. He's a boxing guy, and it shows in his post fight "analysis" because he knows fuck all about anything else, particularly when a fight hits the mat.

Depends on how far you want to go with it. If you're going to be doing more in-depth skill & technique breakdowns you'll need need video/photo editing software of some sort to do screencaps & text overlays or short 5-10 second video clips with overlays. Trying to describe or explain techniques & concepts is freakin' hard, having a few pictures or short video clip so that the audience can SEE the technique makes everything a hell of a clearer.

For example, trying to explain the sequence below would cause you massive headaches and half your listeners will still be going "wtf is he talking about?" Show them the clip with the overlays and it's easy to see and totally clear.

Lions Den Boxing Community. He's a boxing guy, and it shows in his post fight "analysis" because he knows fuck all about anything else, particularly when a fight hits the mat.

Oh. That maroon. I know who you're talking about. He's not even a good boxing guy.

Well, I suck at all things video but if you need any other sort of help, feel free to let me know.

On the editing side of things, you may have to upgrade your computer's specs (PSU, RAM, CPU, videocard) if you want to have a good editing software. Adobe aftereffects and premiere are, from what I understand, the gold standard for video editing (at least that's what I assume based on the tools that KaiserNeko's said he uses.) They're both pretty tough to use, but once you get a handle on editing they're great. You may wanna get photoshop, too, if you really wanna add depth to the production value of your videos. VideoPad is a nice, basic video editing software that's great to learn from for a beginner and has some versatility, and it's free to use if you don't have the money to upgrade your computer and get high-quality programs. There are a lot of videos guides to help you out with learning how to use 'em. They're ultimately pretty simple once you get the handles down; it's just clip, cut, drag, and modify.
A good screen recorder would also come in handy-- the ones that gamers use are pretty top-of-the-line, and they're reasonable in price (they all have watermarks and time limits if you use 'em for free.)
Cameras and microphones are important, but there's a point where they're not THAT important. Like, after a certain level, you're really gonna have to go out of your way to get one that'll make a noticeable difference in production quality to anyone who's not an audiophile or a videophile. As long as you sound clear, coming off as likable and producing good content is more important than that. Meanwhile, a good broadcasting trick for the microphone is to keep your hand a fist's distance away; you can adjust as needed depending on your voice. That's what the professionals over at the old Connecticut School of Broadcasting used to say.
And don't be afraid to do some digging to find fighters and people involved in the sport. Unless you live in some godawful shitheap, there's bound to be a gym somewhere around you within traveling distance with some fighters, and you could go up to 'em and ask to interview.
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Angela Lee. They're sure to be enlightening. Wink.

Going to try to launch with a quick preview of Friday's Invicta card. If that doesn;t work out, I'll launch it with some reviews of the fights.

Back