Adverts during TUF are KILLING their Ratings

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion' started by JackG1979, May 6, 2017.

1. JackG1979 Green Belt

JackG1979
    So i just went and watched Episode 3 of TUF Redemption... No, I didn't watch it on my cable TV box, or DVR it or anything.

I went to a website and watched it... like I always do. The reason that I watch it online is simple... The adverts are removed.

The one I watched showed a combined 38 minutes of footage over 3 videos. When this show is on TV, it is an hour and change (1 or 2 minutes over).

The poor TUF ratings are a DIRECT result of over-saturation of the show with advertising. Now I'm not sure if this is the fault of the UFC, or the network that airs the show, or BOTH??? But whatever the reason being, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Me and a bunch of guys I shoot assault rifles and go ATV'ing with were all talking the other day at the shooting range we had set up.. We drive our ATV's deep into a part of my property where we have a real nice range set up. There was 9 of us there, and 5 of us are currently watching this season of TUF, which is HUGE compared to all o their last seasons. The show pretty much fell by the wayside and off the radar of even the biggest MMA fans... out of the 5 of us, 4 out of the 5 of us admitted to watching it online and we ALL cited the same reason... It feels like there is a commercial every 5 minutes on the show. And that is portrayed by them packing a sub 40 minute show into over an hour of programming.

I'd say a couple 2-3 minute sessions would be plenty of advertising for one show, but when greed sets in, they want you to watch as much adverts as programming, and at that point, they should really be paying us for broadcasting their shows in our residence. Not vice versa.

I really feel that this could be key to why their ratings have slipped so, because this eason really is good, and a lot of people seem to be watching it... for it to have the lowest ratings ever just dont seem to make sense... unless everyone is following this same path.

Anyone else find they are having the same experiences?? watching the show online to avoid the over saturation of advertising??

Any other reasons you guys think this could be going on?

Valhoven and PurpleStorm like this.
  2. Joker Jiujitsu It's Showtime

Joker Jiujitsu
    Your average one hour program is 18 minutes of commercials anyway (only 42 minutes running time). Sometimes The Walking Dead will have a runover of 10-15 mins but still only have about 47 minutes of actual show, meaning they've added 10 minutes of commercials!

The greed of advertisers and sponsors has gotten ridiculous, but as long as people continue to accept it, it will only get worse. People would rather get something free and be sold to than pay to get rid of that crap. I prefer Sirius XM radio over FM because of the commercials on FM radio. I would rather pay to have the commercial-free product.

The problem lies with so many businesses and business models. Google gives away so much for free or cheap and relies upon advertising to make money instead of selling a product. UFC PPVs have started airing trailers or commercials over the last couple years, and it will get worse, and that's despicable because we are already paying so much money for premium content that being advertised to when we are paying to watch is insulting. It isn't like movies where we see a trailer beforehand which gives you time to get your food/drink and find your seat. It is during the show!

Anyway I agree, the advertising sucks. I never watch live. I DVR almost everything now except actual UFC live events. The UFC on Fox events are virtually unbearable because of the copious amounts of ads within the program...

Valhoven and PurpleStorm like this.
  3. cXr78 White Belt

cXr78
    I haven't watched on live TV for years due to this. It drives me insane and takes me right out of anything I'm trying to watch. I mostly record and skip through adverts but nowadays seeing as I'm on BT TV in the UK it's on their catch up player so I can watch the show with no adverts or skipping needed at all.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  4. shococham Purple Belt

shococham
    ditto for me

PurpleStorm likes this.
  5. orangecuse Gold Belt

orangecuse
    So the ratings for the first quarter hour of the first episode was like one million people then all of sudden like 700,000 all tuned out because of commercials? Or do they just get shit rating because this is shit season of a tired reality show? You can also google a million more exciting things to watch, including exciting, relevant MMA fights. There's also a 100+ channels.

I don't think a large portion of the MMA audience gets as excited as some of you over seeing Just bang bro guy again. This is a season of guys who for the most part weren't good enough on past seasons. Not surprising they get less ratings then the seasons they weren't good enough to win. There's was no big first episode of all fights to get in. Nothing about this season has been exciting except for the one second Cody chocking TJ gif everyone already saw months ago.

Do you and tour friends talk about how awesome and exciting this season and the fights are too? What do you guys say about it?

neil_totally likes this.
  6. Pwent Guest

Pwent
    I just use dvr

7. Superbad Blue Belt

Superbad
    Same here. I don't even watch UFC events live. I DVR them and fast-forward through all the commercials all the bullshit in between flights. That goes for every show I watch that has commercials. That's one of the things I like about shows on Netflix, HBO, etc. No fucking commercials

Valhoven and TSO like this.
  8. Pwent Guest

Pwent
    when i watch live, i start playing on my phone/laptop etc. and then im still distracted when they come back from commercials and sometimes they lose me ocmpletely if its a WMMA fight or something

Valhoven and ultimateriley-o like this.
  9. TSO Silver Belt

TSO
    I do the same thing, haven't watch an event "live" in ages.

10. Superbad Blue Belt

Superbad
    The closest i get to watching the event live is when I get caught up to the main event and watch it live.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  11. JackG1979 Green Belt

JackG1979
    Are you jealous that I have friends??? Did you bump your goddamn head??... So it sounds like you don't like this season!! Congrats..... Obv. some people do. Is this how you handle every situation where someone has a different opinion than you? Sounds pretty.... well.... 16 ish....

My thread isn't bitching about there being no relevant programing... so idk why you felt the need to spout off about how many channels there is, or that I could "Google" new and relavent fights... BFD... No shit sherlocke.. Got anymore front page news??

I didn't watch the other seasons of TUF. i have not tuned in during a season in years, so the guys on the show are mostly new to me. But I do fight the fights, and overall format of how they get through the episodes a little more bearable, with less filler...

I simply made a thread with a suggestion that they have oversold their advertising.... if somehow you can turn into into a thread worthy of some kind of a childish, argumentative retort as this, then I would seriously suggest just eating some decon and getting it over with now before you have to move out of moms basement, because the real world is going to eat you alive, princess!!! Why don't you go get in your safe space,and melt, Snowflake!!

Me and my friends talk about our lives, or jobs, careers... travel, finances and what not. Technology and politics. But hey... you keep coming on "Sherdog" and keep thinking up these real nifty responses!!

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    PurpleStorm likes this.
  12. cXr78 White Belt

cXr78
    I DVR everything rather than watch live so I can skip through adverts, but even the UFC PPV shows it's no point recording them now as I can watch them ad free on the BT Sport catch-up/on demand.

I find it kinda shocking how bad adverts generally are and how we all accept them "BUY THIS NOW!" "TAKE THIS LOAN!" No thanks, I don't need to be brainwashed into feeling I need this or that. Fuck adverts.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  13. badascan Audacious Moral Nihilist

badascan
    commercials make tv unwatchable...

Valhoven, PurpleStorm and ChoKuRei like this.
  14. Mungoose Kitty Whisperer

Mungoose
    I believe that was more a question about the quality of content in the show being the cause of people tuning out as opposed to the advertising. When you discuss this with your friends are you genuinely entertained and impressed with the quality? I may be wrong but that was more how I received it. Not sure why you went on this wild rant, reeks of insecurity to be honest.

15. PurpleStorm Orange Belt

PurpleStorm
    I'm watching previous seasons of TUF on fight pass because there's no ads. I'll watch this season when it gets to fight pass for the same reasons you stated.

16. Valhoven Senior Moderator

Valhoven
    Good season though so make sure to catch up once it's uploaded. Lost love for TUF years ago but this one has a lil' sum' extra, that older nothing-to-lose, everything-to-gain vibe.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  17. grooves12 Green Belt

grooves12
    The problem with TUF isn't the commericials, it is the forced "drama" that is the majority of the screen time. Hell, I'd rather watch the commercials than any of the house time for most seasons. I generally fast forward through most of the garbage and go straight to the fights and the post-fight reaction.

TUF ratings would increase dramatically if I was in charge. :)
    1) get rid of the house.
    2) make it a set tournament style.
    3) let them train at their home gym or if they have limited resources, use the UFC clout to get them a spot at one of the big-name gyms.
    4) 2 fights on every episode.
    5) Make each episode in documentary style where they follow each fighter's training/life ala UFC embedded (3-5 minutes each fighter) followed by fights.

JackG1979 likes this.