Advantages of different leg positions in head and arm choke

snowman22

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've seen the head and arm done with a knee on the belly of the opponent, legs in a judo style scarf hold, knee on belly position but knee on the floor next to opponent and one where both legs are flat on the floor pushing with the toes. What's the advantages and disadvantages of these positions?

I've seen the head and arm done with a knee on the belly of the opponent, legs in a judo style scarf hold, knee on belly position but knee on the floor next to opponent and one where both legs are flat on the floor pushing with the toes. What's the advantages and disadvantages of these positions?
I am a fan of not doing anything fancy and focusing on an effortless arm triangle. So just making sure you are flat face down with your thighs on the mat. I don't like the knee on belly unless it's used as a frame so they can't turn. if it's used to drive into their sternum I don't like it. These are the two best arm triangle videos on youtube. Check these out.

I don't see any advantage to going knee of belly. The pressure on the shoulder should be coming from the side to cut off the carotid, not from high to low. Cranks the shit out of the neck, but why settle for sloppy technique when you can get a clean choke. Turning away scarf-hold style is also odd, you're pressuring the opponent's shoulder down then, not across into the neck. It means the forces from your own arm and his shoulder, both sides of the choke, are no longer aligned. The Ryan Hall way is the best I've seen. The key point to this choke is collarbone on the opponent's shoulder.

Although a basic submission, the Head/Arm triangle has always been a challenge to me. I tend to neck crank more than choke. I get my hips flat, cheek on the lower part of the tricep, then shuffle away, lastly apply pressure up the tripec until eye is close to their eye. I get the Tap but not as cleanly as it should be. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Same type of challenge with the N/S choke.

Although a basic submission, the Head/Arm triangle has always been a challenge to me. I tend to neck crank more than choke. I get my hips flat, cheek on the lower part of the tricep, then shuffle away, lastly apply pressure up the tripec until eye is close to their eye. I get the Tap but not as cleanly as it should be. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Same type of challenge with the N/S choke.
It's all about getting your shoulder relaxed and coming under the chin with it, it might be a bit funny bo what helped me the most was my training partner pointing out/touching the area of my shoulder to pinpoint exactly which part should choke him when we were drilling the position

I don't see any advantage to going knee of belly. The pressure on the shoulder should be coming from the side to cut off the carotid, not from high to low. Cranks the shit out of the neck, but why settle for sloppy technique when you can get a clean choke. Turning away scarf-hold style is also odd, you're pressuring the opponent's shoulder down then, not across into the neck. It means the forces from your own arm and his shoulder, both sides of the choke, are no longer aligned. The Ryan Hall way is the best I've seen. The key point to this choke is collarbone on the opponent's shoulder.

The advantages of knee on belly is that you can eliminate them rocking their hips to gain space on their artery, and you eliminate their ability to rotate which slightly changes the direction of pressure on the artery. With a head an arm choke, its a game of centimeters, and a slight movement is the difference between top guy gassing and bottom guy sleeping.

As a based, i follow Ryan's method, I see some benefits with knee on belly, one is to stop the person turning away, although, to finish the choke, once the position has been stablished, i move from kob to flat, but i do put a lot on emphasis on the direction of your hips. Basically you want to stay flat but with your knee (the one that was on belly) pointing towards the hip, this makes sure you are putting the right pressure on the shoulder and not cracking the neck... I do not like the kesa finish, it's a crank more than a choke.

The most important detail about the side choke is pinning their far shoulder to the mat. If his far shoulder comes up, the choke is pretty much lost.

The second most important detail is to be in your 3 hour splits/running man stance. Gives the presh, maintains stability, and bows the back.

Last edited:
I covered this last night teaching in Tokyo....The feet position I now teach is truly the most powerful way....legs hips driving in 2 different vectors intersecting....not arm power (though obviously shoulder extension lasso style taking up slack important in all chokes)

Seriously, if you have not switched to this leg post method try it just stay low and correct

Back