Adults That Don't Drive

...are children or extremely wealthy and get driven around.

Weird stuff. I have a relative who is 25 is still doesn't even have a learners permit.

I got my learners permit when I was 15 and a half years old and had a license at 16 bought a car at 18.been driving since I was 12.
You from Texas?

In the US, public schools have driver education classes so the cost of getting a license is minimal. Do people who use public transportation buy groceries daily? When I go to a grocery store, I have a pretty good load. It takes 4 to 5 trips from the car to the house. I only shop every three or four weeks. I suppose I could get by with a couple of bags if I went a couple of times a week but it would be such a waste of time.

You from Texas?
I'm from California , I drove a truck in rural Mexico as a kid. I could also drive a truck in the inland empire as kid.

for me it has always been a money thing. My wife has a car and license since we were teenagers. For me to get insured is $385 (best rate i can find currently due to my postal/zip code, its been around the same price since I got my learners permit years ago). Its money id rather put towards my mortgage and savings and when I was in my teen and in college it was more than I could afford.

I remember back in HS I saw my nurse being dropped off by an older lady (could be her mom), and the nurse was sitting in the backseat by herself.

That always puzzled me
It's called a taxi you country bumpkin

I don't drive, and only take public transportation. Too risky to drive in the 3rd world where any accident is your fault and scams are abound. And after spending 10 years driving trucks for a living, I've had enough bullshit for a lifetime. :confused:

There are days when I take my dog and just go for a ride for a couple of hours.

There are a lot of reasons why people can't drive. I'm legally blind in one eye and colorblind, my depth perception is all out of whack.. but I'm just barely on the right side of the margin in each case for me to be able to drive. I just fucking hate doing it, so I don't drive much.

If my left eye didn't compensate so well for my right, I'd not be able to drive. If I was colorblind in a broader area of the spectrum (I can't see many shades of yellow, they appear washed-out or white to me - and that affects oranges, greens, etc) then I wouldn't be able to get a license (a provisional one might have been available though), and if I had just a hair less depth perception then I would not be able to get a license. I also have next to no peripheral vision in my right eye, so that's another thing.

A lot of people don't like admitting personal handicaps. Me, I don't give a shit, this is the internet. Not like we were going to fuck anyway.

We didn't ask for your life story. It was obvious the TS wasn't talking about people that couldn't get their DL due to a physical handicap.

A lack of parenting results in many missed skills for people. It's easy to say hey you just need to do this when you already do something or it's commonplace but some people are just trying to survive the best they can.
The main reason I know of people not doing it is due to stress and difficulties paying attention.

Creative people have a much harder time concentrating and it takes a fair bit of driving practice for them to overcome that tendency to let their mind drift.

We have excellent transit system here but I can't imagine not driving.

In the sixties and seventies especially, it wasn't uncommon to find adult in England who didn't drive a car. My dad was a pom[english] and although he could drive we never had a car, and there were a number of people down our street who also never owned a car.[that was in the sixties.]
I don't know the reason, maybe it was a cost factor? Don't know if it's still like that or not?

One thing people who don't drive are side-stepping in here . . .

Properly buying groceries is dang near impossible without a car. Sure you can cram two or three grocery bags full and haul them on the train or bus. OR, maybe once every month you could get a taxi and load up with the bulk of your groceries then. I know when I do a proper grocery shopping (as a single person living alone), I'll often come back with 6 or 8 bags full. I honestly would find it much more difficult for this aspect alone.

THEN, the other aspect, is being more town-bound to your location. I can take off any time to the mountains an hour and a half away in one direction, or a beautiful lake with a great beach 45 minutes in a different direction. I live about midpoint between two larger centres and depending on what's going on I can choose to go to either location at the drop of a hat. For all of the above transit would be pretty much impossible let alone much more inconvenient.

Having your own vehicle adds an amazing amount of flexibility and freedom that non-drivers have no idea about. It makes no sense - except for the gentleman from Singapore or if you literally are physically unable to drive.
2010 welcomes you! Where have you been?

-Grocery store deliver, I've been ordering since forever. It's more expensive but still less than buying a car to go get it. Besides, I don't need to stockpile every week: I do one big grocery/month, then go back on foot for smaller stuff until the next big one.

-There are communal car services in every modern cities. I use it plenty here in Montréal. You RSVP or you just take the nearest available (app tells you). You have to bring it back and you're charged by distance and time. It's rarely expensive, unless you take it all day It's way less than renting a car and much more convenient: you look at the app and there can be one parked just down the street! Yes, the car sucks: Prius, Versa or other lame hybrid. But when you only need to get from A to B, who cares?

-Town bound is a good point but even then, it's easy to arrange with prep time. The only real advantage you have is owning your own car and getting to decide when you leave in a heartbeat. I have to go check on the app if there's a car available nearby. If there isn't, I have to RSVP at a station. have to bring the car back so I won't go for a road trip. But if I want to go trekking in the woods, it's easy as 1-2-3.

-When I receive my monthly bill, I can assure you that it's less than your bills for gas, insurance and buying (or renting) the car itself. I fit in TS exception though: I live in a city where I can get around with communal services alone. I'm moving in a smaller town soon and I will definitely start looking for a car!

I'm one of 5 sibling. My oldest sister got her license at 28, second oldest still can't drive, though she lives in the city and wouldn't keep a car anyway. I started driving at 16, since having a car was sort of a requirement for guys like me to get laid in high school when I was growing up. My two younger brothers, one died at 27 while just then learning to drive, the other is getting his license now in his late 20s.

We all live in a city, so you can get by without one, but we grew up on the periphery, where parking was plentiful and getting around by public transport often required a modal change in the city center.

my mom is in her 60s and can't drive,and a woman i used to work with who's in her 50s who doesn't,never been a problem for them.

Back