Adults That Don't Drive

I live in a city centre, 15 minute walk to work, 5 minutes to the supermarket and 10 minutes to the train station if I'm going somewhere far.

I don't really have any incentive to drive.

I didn't learn to drive a car until I was 33.

It came down to simple economics, at 22 it was cheaper for me to buy my first house close to work and walk there, then to pay for a car, insurance and petrol.

I think it's weird as shit. I live in NYC so I don't have a car but when I needed to move some of my GF's shit from her storage unit last week, I rented a van and drove it. All adults should know how to drive a car.

Nice articles. My brother is 21 without a license. Sometimes I think that it's anxiety preventing him from driving, and I want to help him overcome it. Other times I feel like it's pretty common nowadays, driving is less necessary and it's not a big deal.

Just from my perspective/experience:

Younger folks nowadays were born in a world with internet. They grew up on social media. To them, their whole social world is literally always with them. Physical movement is just not as important to them as it was to my peer group.

And it's not just their social group -- literally they have access to the whole world, from the phone in their pocket. The world is a lot smaller for them. We had to GTFO if we didn't want to be stuck in our house. Them, they can be talking with folks across the world from their bedroom.

I do think the anxiety of it is some part of it. Younger folks these days seem, as a whole, more nervous of new situations, and driving certainly is a departure from normal activity if you're not used to it.

I can't judge people that don't drive for any myriad of reasons. Yeah, it's inconvenient to others, but driving really sucks. There's old people on the roads going too slow, braking too much, there's entitled drivers going too fast, people not signaling, dangers of idiots making brainfart mistakes.. It really sucks and it's not for everyone.

This.

America is very different. A lot of empty places where you need a car just to get to the nearest shop 10 miles away or something.

I live in the city, everything I need is within walking distance. That being said, I am taking my driving lessons at the moment, but don't have any intention on actually buying a car anytime soon. But it'll be handy to have it just in case I ever choose to.

The couple that lives below me can't drive do to mental disabilities. Does that count?

From what I understand it's a hell of a lot easier getting a driving license in the US than most other countries.

I could be wrong though.

If a person's work and family life doesn't require a car, I can see a major upside with going carless. I really would if I could.

-Cars are expensive: car payments, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc
-Cars are dangerous: automobile accidents being one of the leading causes of death and injury in the U.S.
-Traffic sucks and parking sucks
-Being uncomfortable on the road every time you see the words "to protect and serve" in black and white
-Walking/biking is healthier
-Cars are bad for the environment

It's really a bizarre time that we live in when not driving a gas-fueled steel box is considered "unnatural"

I didn't learn to drive a car until I was 33.

It came down to simple economics, at 22 it was cheaper for me to buy my first house close to work and walk there, then to pay for a car, insurance and petrol.

Lol wtf ...can't wait to finally meet you

I am not talking bout City Folks where parking is too much of a hassle or Poor Folks that can't pay for a car but normal people in that just don't drive.

I got a sister in-law who has a 26yr old boyfriend who does not drive cause he doesn't have a DL. I have asked them both why and they dance around the question but its is strange as hell to for a adult that doesn't drive. Its seem to be a Major strain on their life. She has to drive dude around all the time,she has 2 cars and ask me to help move one of the cars to her new place today. So now they have come pick me up, drive me over their old Apt. to pick up the car, drive it to their new place and then bring me back home. Its just seem like a big pain in the ass to not be able to drive at all. I have never not had a DL. I have gone with a car for a few weeks but always had access to a working car since forever. So its is very strange to me for a Adult to not be able to drive.

So are there any adults here that don't drive. Does it impact your daily life. Why haven't you got a DL.

I know two grown ass men in Hawaii who don't drive. And they both can't get dates.

I don't drive. It's usually not a big deal. But sometimes sucks having to hassle my mother for a drive lol.

I just never learned. Used to have anxiety. Now I'd kinda like to but, just don't x:

Public transportation is a joke where I live so it's not plausible.

Started driving when I was 16 and never looked back. You need to have a car here

I am not talking bout City Folks where parking is too much of a hassle or Poor Folks that can't pay for a car but normal people in that just don't drive.

I got a sister in-law who has a 26yr old boyfriend who does not drive cause he doesn't have a DL. I have asked them both why and they dance around the question but its is strange as hell to for a adult that doesn't drive. Its seem to be a Major strain on their life. She has to drive dude around all the time,she has 2 cars and ask me to help move one of the cars to her new place today. So now they have come pick me up, drive me over their old Apt. to pick up the car, drive it to their new place and then bring me back home. Its just seem like a big pain in the ass to not be able to drive at all. I have never not had a DL. I have gone with a car for a few weeks but always had access to a working car since forever. So its is very strange to me for a Adult to not be able to drive.

So are there any adults here that don't drive. Does it impact your daily life. Why haven't you got a DL.
Two possible theories...

1. Could be a medical condition such as epilepsy, anxiety attacks, what the DMV call a "lapse of consciousness disorder" that prevent you from having a license.

2. He lost his license from a dui or especially multiple duis.

Both are things that will keep you from driving and things some people aren't comfortable talking about

Very interesting . . .

I work with a young guy (24), who was hired at my place of work about a year ago. We get paid very well. He came out and told us his coworkers that he had a DUI for which most sort of honored him for the honesty even though having a clean driving record is one of the criteria for working at this company. He did know a senior exec's daughter (he was in college with her) and that's how he got the job.

Now, beyond that, the guy told everyone that his DUI expired in Sept. and that he'd have his license back then. But, 5 months later, the guy doesn't have a car and isn't driving himself anywhere yet. I pick him up and drop him off every day. It's not a huge inconvenience to me, but it is a small one.

SO, either he told us the whole truth and there's more to the story or he told us a half-truth/partial truth/lie. I mean, the guy would get approved for a 100K+ car and most young guys like that probably would do that (maybe not the full amount but you know what I mean). If he didn't want debt, he could easily have paid for a decent vehicle long ago in cash.

Makes no sense. So I know what you're saying TS. There has to be more to the story.

Maybe the guy I work with hit someone, got sued with his DUI. Maybe it wasn't a DUI. Maybe he was driving with expired insurance. Maybe his insurance is so high now he can't afford to . . . But that's not even true, because with the money he makes that's pretty much impossible.

Like I said, there's got to be more to the story. And it sucks. We're friends . . . mostly we golf together and then through work. But we're not huge buddies particularly with the age gap.

I never mention it due to me knowing there's got to be more to the story and he's too embarrased to come out with it. I wouldn't be surprised if one day confesses the situation to me. If it is him just dragging his heels . . . Then really lame. And the young guy has a girlfriend who always makes the trek from another city to see him and then drives him around. The whole thing makes no sense unless there's a really good reason for it. I don't want to be his taxi for another year.

*edit*

Forgot to mention that this young guy I work with has talked steadily for the last 5 months about what car he'd like, or he's looking at . . . If I'm being honest, it sounds to me like talk; like he's just trying to sound to my coworkers that he's actively transitioning from non-driver to driver. As usual I call BS in my mind. Until he's behind the wheel of his own vehicle and gettig himself around, its a lame-ass situation. Unless he's incapable of driving due to a handicap he's not letting anyone know about (as an early poster said).
One possibility is that it's hard to get car insurance right after a dui and it's super expensive.

I know a lot of people who drive but don't drive on the freeway

I know a few people who have a fear of driving and don't drive but take public transport.

I also knew a guy who had his license but didn't drive he rode his back to work and back, he was a hippy guy who worked on a beach front store for some health food place.

The idea of not driving and especially not having a driver's license just seems so weird to me.

Weird stuff. I have a relative who is 25 is still doesn't even have a learners permit.

I got my learners permit when I was 15 and a half years old and had a license at 16 bought a car at 18.been driving since I was 12.

Sold my vehicle a year ago,

Take Uber everywhere now.

It's amazing, stress free, no parking problems, lots of free time, etc

Back