Adults That Don't Drive

Lost my DL due to a medical reason (Grand Mal seizures). You really do not realize how bad it sucks until you actually lose it. After driving for 17+ years and then not, you kind of feel like a kid again. You either walk, catch a ride, use public transportation or don't go lol...

at the moment I don't. I live and work in the city and parking is ridiculous. The public transport is pretty decent and I save a lot of money. I still maintain a full license, but I don't drive. I'm a little nervous at the moment, never driven on the left hand side before and never done things like roundabouts before.

But I'll probably get back on the horse in a few months, got too much shit to do.

I worked in Helensburg, Scotland and for the life of me could not get used to driving on the opposite side. Roundabouts were weird too. I know that feeling. Beat the hell out of the rental car's rims hitting curbs and such...

I can't drive and I don't really need to. I walk to work and wouldn't want to drive to either of the nearest cities (London & Brighton) because the roads are shit and parking is expensive as fuck. My girlfriend drives but we barely use her car already.

I've not driven for the best part of a year. My licence ran out about 3 years ago and in the couple of months it took me to renew it I was in complete panic mode, I felt really prohibited - almost claustrophobic.

Sounds like they're "dancing around" the boyfriend's DUI.

Could be this. TS google her bfs first/last name plus the word 'conviction'.

My mother got her license around 30 years old as she didn't need it before that but I haven't encountered any men that don't drive just because they don't want to, but there probably are some.

Here in the UK it costs a f*cking bomb to learn to drive. Never mind to actually buy the car and be able to afford the insurance & fuel. With me, it's simply that I was never motivated too. I thought the costs would outweigh the benefits. Most places are within walking/public transport distance. It just wasn't a necessity.

As I get older though I realise that having a car would be allot easier. I wouldn't have to walk the 4miles too and from BJJ/judo and I could try more activities that are further afield. Like now I'm starting to develop an interest for hiking/mountaineering/mountain biking but the meeting locations are in the middle of nowhere and it's a pain in the ass to carry all that stuff on the train with me.

The same goes for jobs. Having a car does give you more access to a wider variety of jobs.

Last edited:
My uncle doesn't drive, my aunt's husband. He's a pretty good guy but even when I was a kid I thought he was a bit of a weirdo the way he couldn't drive and my aunt would drive everywhere. My brother is turning 30 next year and he only just got his G1 license a couple months ago, which would essentially be a learners permit I guess. Its a license you get just with a written test that means for 1 year you have to drive with a fully licensed driver in the car, and can't drive on the highway. Until you can take your test for your G2.

I always thought it was weird that he had no interest in driving. I would let him practice a bit driving my car but he didn't really seem to be interested in getting his license. He works right downtown and takes the subway (its insane to work in downtown Toronto and pay to park down there, you have to be balling to afford it) and when he goes out he usually likes to have some drinks anyways so he again will take the bus, cab or a ride from a friend. He only got the license now because his gf is pregnant and he figures at some point he might get a car, so he should get a license. His girl is another example of an adult who doesn't drive, this chick has crazy anxiety and won't drive for that reason. I would always chirp my bro and say he was a weirdo like our uncle, so I'm happy to see that he's finally on the path to getting his license.

my neighbour doesn't have it. she is 26 and has never done anything herself. she never had a job but wears 600

I am not talking bout City Folks where parking is too much of a hassle or Poor Folks that can't pay for a car but normal people in that just don't drive.

I got a sister in-law who has a 26yr old boyfriend who does not drive cause he doesn't have a DL. I have asked them both why and they dance around the question but its is strange as hell to for a adult that doesn't drive. Its seem to be a Major strain on their life. She has to drive dude around all the time,she has 2 cars and ask me to help move one of the cars to her new place today. So now they have come pick me up, drive me over their old Apt. to pick up the car, drive it to their new place and then bring me back home. Its just seem like a big pain in the ass to not be able to drive at all. I have never not had a DL. I have gone with a car for a few weeks but always had access to a working car since forever. So its is very strange to me for a Adult to not be able to drive.

So are there any adults here that don't drive. Does it impact your daily life. Why haven't you got a DL.

That is fucking Asinine , I feel for your pain

I had a friend back in elementary school whos mom never got her DL. It didn't take long before my mom kinda stopped having me hang out with them. She got tired real fast of having to haul his ass back and forth when we hung out. I don't know what she did in trying to get him around to school and other activities.

was she Arabic? my best friend growing up was Egyptian, and anytime his parents would go out, the Mom always sat in the back even if the passenger seat was open. dont know if its an arabic thing or something

or san francisco, lol. i don't drive, but do have a license, etc. it's a pain in the ass to have a car in this city.

Im in Boston and if i could take my car off the road and take the train everywhere id save a fortune. Seriously i didint learn to drive till i was 23 and it was because i couldnt park in the city for 70 a day and mass rakes you over the coals to put a car on the road. Add One of the highest car insurance rates in the country and its enough to deter alot of people from even bothering.

I'm 31 and don't drive. When I reached the age of potentially learning to drive, it was either pay for driving lessons or save the cash to go to university.

I chose the latter. Obviously, didn't have the cash to learn to drive while at Uni, then after Uni I got heavily involved in supervising a nightclub and barely saw daylight for 2years.

Since then, every job I've had has been in the same town/city I lived in, and within 30mins walking. So I used the money I would've spent learning to drive, on travelling extensively and if I'm honest, if I had to choose between owning a nice car and the amazing experiences I've had worldwide, there's no choice really.

I'm not a 'material possessions' person in the slightest so I don't miss not owning a car. Sure, it would make my life a little easier but so far, it's been an unnecessary financial burden that I've always avoided.

I'll drive one day, but not until I've finished exploring the world and finally settle on a city/town I actually want to live in indefinitely.

I'm 31 and don't drive. When I reached the age of potentially learning to drive, it was either pay for driving lessons or save the cash to go to university.

I chose the latter. Obviously, didn't have the cash to learn to drive while at Uni, then after Uni I got heavily involved in supervising a nightclub and barely saw daylight for 2years.

Since then, every job I've had has been in the same town/city I lived in, and within 30mins walking. So I used the money I would've spent learning to drive, on travelling extensively and if I'm honest, if I had to choose between owning a nice car and the amazing experiences I've had worldwide, there's no choice really.

I'm not a 'material possessions' person in the slightest so I don't miss not owning a car. Sure, it would make my life a little easier but so far, it's been an unnecessary financial burden that I've always avoided.

I'll drive one day, but not until I've finished exploring the world and finally settle on a city/town I actually want to live in indefinitely.

Sounds like you were born into a lot of money, and that's chiefly why you haven't had to drive...

Come on. Admit it.

Honestly, if I didn't live in South Florida. I'd probably utilize public transportation a lot more. I'd own a car and sometimes drive no matter where I live (provided I can afford it), but if our public transport system were on par with say, Chicago, I'd be on those buses and trains more often than not. South Florida is great for riding bicycle, and it's something I should do more, but drivers down here are awful. I ride my bike around the park where I'm unlikely to get run over.

One of my friends sister is like that TS, as well as my brothers roommate. Both in their mid to late 20's. Never had a license and never drove. They dont intend to either. Both are very scared and afraid of it. Everyone is better off without another crappy female driver on the road.

Lots of reasons. People don't feel confident, to expensive, people are afraid (accidents, deaths in family), not necessary (Bikes, Bus, Cabs).

My mom never drove even though she had the money for a car, she just never wanted to do it. She always just took a cab or had a friend come get her if push came to shove.

I don't care what you f****** say, public transport is GOAT transportation system. No expensive maintenance, you can use it when you are on the whiskey, no traffic jams if you are on a train.

FS1-1-Presser_05.jpg

Not every city has good public transit. I live in a city of 350k, and it's brutal. It took me over an hour to get to college from my parents house due to the crappy bus schedules and routes. It's honestly no more than a 10-12 minute drive, and that's hitting red lights. I bought a car after 1 year of that nonsense, haven't looked back.

I can go where I want, when I want, and I don't have to wait outside in the cold for transfers in the winter.

I have a few buddies who moved to larger cities with decent public transit, and basically don't have a need for driving. Trust me when I say these are people who you probably don't want driving. One of them failed his beginners test twice, and they give everyone a license in Ontario.

I live in a city, but I don't understand how you go thru life without a car? I go on fishing trips, camping trips, etc all the time. It's great that you don't need a car for day-to-day shit like going to work, getting groceries, etc, but when it comes to any sort of vacation/travelling you're dependant on others.

TS- He may be suspended which is the most common reason adults can not legally drive. He may not want to talk about it.

I can't judge people that don't drive for any myriad of reasons. Yeah, it's inconvenient to others, but driving really sucks. There's old people on the roads going too slow, braking too much, there's entitled drivers going too fast, people not signaling, dangers of idiots making brainfart mistakes.. It really sucks and it's not for everyone.

Back