Adults That Don't Drive

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am not talking bout City Folks where parking is too much of a hassle or Poor Folks that can't pay for a car but normal people in that just don't drive.

I got a sister in-law who has a 26yr old boyfriend who does not drive cause he doesn't have a DL. I have asked them both why and they dance around the question but its is strange as hell to for a adult that doesn't drive. Its seem to be a Major strain on their life. She has to drive dude around all the time,she has 2 cars and ask me to help move one of the cars to her new place today. So now they have come pick me up, drive me over their old Apt. to pick up the car, drive it to their new place and then bring me back home. Its just seem like a big pain in the ass to not be able to drive at all. I have never not had a DL. I have gone with a car for a few weeks but always had access to a working car since forever. So its is very strange to me for a Adult to not be able to drive.

So are there any adults here that don't drive. Does it impact your daily life. Why haven't you got a DL.

Last edited:
I had a friend back in elementary school whos mom never got her DL. It didn't take long before my mom kinda stopped having me hang out with them. She got tired real fast of having to haul his ass back and forth when we hung out. I don't know what she did in trying to get him around to school and other activities.

Adults who dont have a drivers license usually have no desire to get one because the people who surround them enable them

I remember back in HS I saw my nurse being dropped off by an older lady (could be her mom), and the nurse was sitting in the backseat by herself.

That always puzzled me

I remember back in HS I saw my nurse being dropped off by an older lady (could be her mom), and the nurse was sitting in the backseat by herself.

That always puzzled me

She ever call you into her office for a "special" evaluation?

That always puzzled me

Could have dropped off someone else prior to that. She didn't bother changing seats.

There are a lot of reasons why people can't drive. I'm legally blind in one eye and colorblind, my depth perception is all out of whack.. but I'm just barely on the right side of the margin in each case for me to be able to drive. I just fucking hate doing it, so I don't drive much.

If my left eye didn't compensate so well for my right, I'd not be able to drive. If I was colorblind in a broader area of the spectrum (I can't see many shades of yellow, they appear washed-out or white to me - and that affects oranges, greens, etc) then I wouldn't be able to get a license (a provisional one might have been available though), and if I had just a hair less depth perception then I would not be able to get a license. I also have next to no peripheral vision in my right eye, so that's another thing.

A lot of people don't like admitting personal handicaps. Me, I don't give a shit, this is the internet. Not like we were going to fuck anyway.

My sister, she's 27.

i tried to teach her how to drive one time. But a few months after that, she was involved in a terrible accident (the vehicle was totalled). She's a bit paranoid about it now.

i tried telling her it's time to move on, and she has said i'm probably right. But she still hasn't learned.

I own a truck but where I live here in town I hardly every drive it and ride a bicycle everywhere instead. I can get to work on it, am near grocery stores and can walk to them even.

People and co-workers always ask "well what's wrong with your truck?" Like something is wrong with me bike riding all day everyday. Even in this recent cold weather. I like it and I like not having to buy gas.

And sorry I kinda sorta fit into the city folk side sorta kinda but my licence is expired so I technically shouldn't be driving until I go to an MVD. And I procrastinate like a mother on going to those anger infusing places. So, I will continue to get my weird looks and questions. Not sure a fine ladies reaction to a guy who doesn't drive yet. Sure can't be too positive lol

Sounds like they're "dancing around" the boyfriend's DUI.

i know people that don't drive because they are pretty much too nervous behind the wheel.

If you're an adult and you don't drive you better be in NY!

Getting a license in the US is so easy compared to here in France. It easily costs 3000€ with the almost mandatory additionnal hours.

I don't drive because I'm in Paris (though I can drive), so its really not necessary. I'm more interested by a motorcycle.

It's just a thing with younger folks nowadays. Tons of articles about it:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...are-abandoning-car-ownership-and-driving.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/5...buying-cars-or-getting-their-drivers-license/

http://business.time.com/2013/08/09/the-great-debate-do-millennials-really-want-cars-or-not/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ple-getting-drivers-licenses-too-much-hassle/

From that last one:

--37 percent said they were either too busy or didn't have the time to get a license.
--32 percent said that owning and maintaining a vehicle was just too expensive.
--31 percent said they could hitch a ride with someone else if needed.
--22 percent said they'd rather walk or bike.
--17 percent said they'd rather use public transportation.
--9 percent said they were worried about driving's effects on the environment.
--8 percent said they could work or communicate online.
--7 percent cited disability or medical problems as their main reason.

I didn't get my license until I was around 20 which felt a bit longer than most. I was afraid of driving and it seemed hard. After practice it started to become fun and I got the license.

I imagine some people are just too afraid or get too old and feel ashamed to try to learn. Others are just lazy and surrounded by people that do everything for them. I work with a ton of people that do nothing but bum rides from people or ride the bus. They make plenty of money and choose not to own a car. I want to H-Bomb them.

It's just a thing with younger folks nowadays. Tons of articles about it:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...are-abandoning-car-ownership-and-driving.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/5...buying-cars-or-getting-their-drivers-license/

http://business.time.com/2013/08/09/the-great-debate-do-millennials-really-want-cars-or-not/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ple-getting-drivers-licenses-too-much-hassle/

From that last one:

--37 percent said they were either too busy or didn't have the time to get a license.
--32 percent said that owning and maintaining a vehicle was just too expensive.
--31 percent said they could hitch a ride with someone else if needed.
--22 percent said they'd rather walk or bike.
--17 percent said they'd rather use public transportation.
--9 percent said they were worried about driving's effects on the environment.
--8 percent said they could work or communicate online.
--7 percent cited disability or medical problems as their main reason.

Nice articles. My brother is 21 without a license. Sometimes I think that it's anxiety preventing him from driving, and I want to help him overcome it. Other times I feel like it's pretty common nowadays, driving is less necessary and it's not a big deal.

I have a friend who doesnt drive. I've asked him several times but he also dodges the question. I get the feeling he has some sort of underlying physical, or psychological issue preventing him. He is a little off beat but he's not retarded or anything so I don't really understand. I know he's had issues with his heart when he was a kid and had open heart surgery. I'm thinking that might have something to do with it...

I don't care what you f****** say, public transport is GOAT transportation system. No expensive maintenance, you can use it when you are on the whiskey, no traffic jams if you are on a train.

FS1-1-Presser_05.jpg

Back