Adrien Broner Goes Bonkers, Knocks Guy Out on Vegas Strip

yup, it was shocking to see that stuff in those days, even the brutality of boxing didn't prepare me for the morbidity of that, i actually feared for Weit's life, i was worried about his skull popping open. The UFC was extremely lucky not to have any fatalities in those days. Even now, it's just a matter of time, I'm sure they have plans in place for it when it does happen, media plans etc..,

Boxing is far more dangerous now.

It's the constant bouncing of the head that causes these guys to go into comas. In MMA u are done after a few good shots usually. In Boxing guys take constant shots over 12 rounds. The bigger the glove the worse for the fighters in some ways

one of my close friends was sucker punched and fell down some stone stairs. cracked his skull, spent a month in the hospital. doesn't remember any of that summer.

one punch, and an unfortunate fall.

That sucks man.

A kid from my town slipped in the bathroom at a party. Hit the back of his head on the tile floor, went into a coma for 3 or so years, then died.

It's amazing that the human body can take so much punishment sometimes and live through incredible circumstances, and other times, take mortal wounds from small happenings

that's all hindsight, it was a new sport taking form so naturally there would be some randomness in it, i still give those guys credit for heart, it's a frightening thing to deal with, a streetfight is a frightening thing to deal with for the same reason, if you don't know what to expect, gun, knife, people jumping in, you could easily end up in a position where you're completely at someone else's mercy, it's not like a sparring session or even a sanctioned fight. In the early days those ufc guys faced the challenge when I really can't see any top names even considering it for the money and the possible embarrassement.

I was speaking in hindsight

that's all hindsight, it was a new sport taking form so naturally there would be some randomness in it, i still give those guys credit for heart, it's a frightening thing to deal with, a streetfight is a frightening thing to deal with for the same reason, if you don't know what to expect, gun, knife, people jumping in, you could easily end up in a position where you're completely at someone else's mercy, it's not like a sparring session or even a sanctioned fight. In the early days those ufc guys faced the challenge when I really can't see any top names even considering it for the money and the possible embarrassement.

The first UFCs were a showcase for Royce Gracie. They knew he was gonna roll through the competition

Boxing is far more dangerous now.

It's the constant bouncing of the head that causes these guys to go into comas. In MMA u are done after a few good shots usually. In Boxing guys take constant shots over 12 rounds. The bigger the glove the worse for the fighters in some ways
some of those guys were not used to punishment, in fact, maybe even most of them. people are a lot more likely to get hurt when they haven't taken punches before, it happens all the time in streetfights, a guy gets coldcocked, hits' his head and dies, and in the ufc, even today, guys drop all the time from punches that aren't even that hard. Boxing at least prepares some of these guys since puberty to take punishment. It makes a difference, a huge difference, in the ability to take the abuse and not be hurt and even not to be kayoed by punches that would put a normal person right out. Like a boxer told me years ago "it's not that hard to knock a person out", it's that simple when we talk of inexperienced people.

It's why u just don't get in a street fight. These days u just never know. And concrete is so unforgiving.

I hate that we live in a society that the first thing people do when they see someone taking damage on the street is to reach for their phones to film it

The first UFCs were a showcase for Royce Gracie. They knew he was gonna roll through the competition
certainly, they were, there were still some things for us, I say us as us martial artists/fighters to learn. The first was how absolutely useless all the skills we'd been working so hard on actually could be. I still regret not getting better on the ground, god willing, i'll correct that soon.

some of those guys were not used to punishment, in fact, maybe even most of them. people are a lot more likely to get hurt when they haven't taken punches before, it happens all the time in streetfights, a guy gets coldcocked, hits' his head and dies, and in the ufc, even today, guys drop all the time from punches that aren't even that hard. Boxing at least prepares some of these guys since puberty to take punishment. It makes a difference, a huge difference, in the ability to take the abuse and not be hurt and even not to be kayoed by punches that would put a normal person right out. Like a boxer told me years ago "it's not that hard to knock a person out", it's that simple when we talk of inexperienced people.

Far more damage to the brain in boxing. It's just a fact.

I'm telling you, just research it. MMA is far from barbaric now.

Sucks because u can get your arm dislocated or broken. But as for brain trauma. Boxing is on a whole other level

It's why u just don't get in a street fight. These days u just never know. And concrete is so unforgiving.

I hate that we live in a society that the first thing people do when they see someone taking damage on the street is to reach for their phones to film it
that's right, i try to avoid them myself, but things still happen a couple times a year, i never start anything but it's very difficult for any man to just leave things be. In a major city, there will be all kinds of mentally ill, disgruntled, angry, disconnected people and that's not to even count the way men are always fucking with each other on the job. I avoid what I can, try to stay out of certain parts of the town, I know i have an ugly side and I still feel bad about some of the things I've done, it all seems so stupid when you look back on it, I don't think anyone normal enjoys hurting or almost killing people but goddamn, so much ignorance out there. One thing, you have to be ready if and when it comes to you, no doubt about that, otherwise, you're just a victim.

certainly, they were, there were still some things for us, I say us as us martial artists/fighters to learn. The first was how absolutely useless all the skills we'd been working so hard on actually could be. I still regret not getting better on the ground, god willing, i'll correct that soon.

Yea. I took TKD for years and had boxed for a couple years. First UFC came out I believe my second year of High School Wrestling. We kinda already knew the ground was dominant in a fight but had no clue what BJJ was

that's right, i try to avoid them myself, but things still happen a couple times a year, i never start anything but it's very difficult for any man to just leave things be. In a major city, there will be all kinds of mentally ill, disgruntled, angry, disconnected people and that's not to even count the way men are always fucking with each other on the job. I avoid what I can, try to stay out of certain parts of the town, I know i have an ugly side and I still feel bad about some of the things I've done, it all seems so stupid when you look back on it, I don't think anyone normal enjoys hurting or almost killing people but goddamn, so much ignorance out there. One thing, you have to be ready if and when it comes to you, no doubt about that, otherwise, you're just a victim.

It's why I have a Conceal n Carry Permit

Sucks because u can get your arm dislocated or broken. But as for brain trauma. Boxing is on a whole other level
I know that, not just because of the abuse we see them take, most of those guys were taking shots since they were teenagers, it's all accumulative. MMA is a seperate case, most of them can't really punch, many of them never get over the fear of getting hit so it's amateurish in comparison to good boxers, what did Mayweather do when conor got in a clean shot? Nothing at all, just looked at him like nothing happened. MMA, Martial Arts, football, it's all damaging, I wont name anyone but I've known probably more pro mma'rs than pro boxers by now and i can tell you there is definitely brain damage amongst them.

It's why I have a Conceal n Carry Permit
I've considered that recently, my city is growing so rapidly and young men are well, young men. I don't worry about a clean fight but that's no guarantee anymore, couple months ago, some guy came up asking for something and we got into it, he had something in his hand, I don't know what it was but i assume it wasn't any good for me. Just a whole different city than it used to be, not that there was never violence but now we have so many different kinds of people to deal with. It's usually young men who really don't have any man training though and too much time on their hands.

Early stoppage, IMO.

Gary Goodridge used to post here. He was pretty cool.
ya, he seemed like a good man. fighters are walking contradictions.

Yea. I took TKD for years and had boxed for a couple years. First UFC came out I believe my second year of High School Wrestling. We kinda already knew the ground was dominant in a fight but had no clue what BJJ was
ya, you'll never feel so helpless as when some grappler gets you on the ground, it's so disorienting, you don't know up from down when you start. I personally just never really liked being that close to another person but it's a necessity to learn.

Can you just agree that getting smacked in the head isn't good for your brain. Concussion, which is the cause of a lot of stoppages is bad, m'kay.

Can you just agree that getting smacked in the head isn't good for your brain. Concussion, which is the cause of a lot of stoppages is bad, m'kay.
I'm gonna take it u didn't read my posts. It's exactly what I was saying

I'm gonna take it u didn't read my posts. It's exactly what I was saying
You were saying boxing is far more dangerous, it's comparing two things that anseriously bad for you but one happens to be worse. They both fuck your brain up.

So it wasn't exactly what you were saying and I did read your post, will probably skip them in future if you're incapable of understanding what you wrote or conversing sensibly about them.

Back