Adding lifts to established programs

zapataxiv

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
so this is cautioned against in pretty much all the FAQs and for good reason. My main program i have been running for years now off and on is Madcow and i love it and i always get great results despite having periods of inactivity life or laziness related i always fond myself working back to it. recently i have been interested in learning how to power cleans and push presses. They both seem like great exercises with plenty of crossover for the big three and would have tremendous boost to to whatever athletic things i want to do.
Right now my first order of business is getting some proper instruction on the lifts before actually incorporating them. After that actually putting them into a program to make it successful. the reason i am think this might be possible is from my limited noob knowledge of bill starr and 5x5 history power cleans and hangs were a major part of the original system. And from my limited knowledge he valued the lift when measuring an athletes ability.

Cliffs
can i add Cleans, push presses, etc to madcow?
How do i program that?
Is heading down to a crossfire gym to learn how to do the lifts properly smart?

you could make it a 4 day a week program where you go in do some powercleans and push presses and maybe do some type of cardio work. Good choice in program though it is probably the most successful program amongst generic programs for intermediates

any suggestions on cardio options. i already get a fair amount of sport specific cardio work from boxing (bags, shadowboxing, sparring, skipping and running). i would love some more conditioning/cardio drill in my repertoire

Biggest thing with extra cardio, is to find something you ENJOY. Do you enjoy biking? Swimming? Any other sports?

Back