ADCC Brackets just released on Flo (AND PBP)

I probably missed it, but what happened with the viera and sonnen super fight? Renzos too for that matter.

I probably missed it, but what happened with the viera and sonnen super fight? Renzos too for that matter.
Sonnen shot immediately and almost got guiloteened for it, popped his head out and the rest of the match was spent with him trying and failing to pass open guard. OT Viera shot in and failed then pulled guard for 5 more minutes of the same. Ref decision to Sonnen and pretty boring

Renzo and Kikuto stayed in the feet the whole time through regulation and up until the last 20 seconds of overtime. Boring as hell and mostly inactive. Kikuto got a penalty somewhere throughout. In the last 20 seconds of overtime Renzo shot in and got sprawled on and Kikuto spun to his back. With about 10 seconds left Kikuto had Renzo's back with one hook in but couldn't get the other in in time. Renzo won 0-0 due to Kikuto's penalty point

I really don't see the point of these matches... Liborio vs Ze Mario was horrible.. It seems both of 2017 matches were just as bad...

Last edited:
Can someone tell me who beat Xande? Bracket results on the internet are worthless. I'm seeing that he armbarred Salter and Chsiev, then beat Chris Jones to take bronze, but I can't see who beat Xande to knock him out of gold/silver contention.

Gordon attacking a heel hook, Pena rolls and comes on top, inside senkaku, Pena turns and extends legs, Pena dives to the back and rolls, GETS THE BACK THE SAME WAY AS THEIR FIRST MATCH!!, 3-0 with 1 and a half minutes left

Pena had actually used that same move several times before hand in their 540 match as well, to escape the saddle, before sticking the last attempt. It definitely looks like something he specifically worked on for dealing with the saddle in general, and Gordon Ryan in particular.

Like finishing a go behind, it's all about getting a handle on the far hip (after all, biomechanically, the only difference between the saddle and a leg weave is whether your own leg is extended or not). You usually can't dive for it right away from 'normal' saddle position on your butt, since the ground is in the way, and most leg lockers are experienced with guy's trying to spin that direction anyways, so what he does is turn away first, going to all fours, which turns the guy on the saddle with you belly down posting on his head, which opens up the daylight you need, and thats when you turn back in with the limp leg hip switch, diving for the far hip.

It also seems like something Gordon's camp, for all his talent and Danaher's quality coaching, has so far seemed unable to adapt too. Perhaps they figure it's simply a one off? But you know a hole is a hole, unless he's really content to just be second banana to Pena for the rest of his competitive career (which sometimes happens in combat sports; for instance how Chris Pendleton somehow always had Ben Askren's number in the NCAAs), but even if they want to write it off as an exception, since Felipe's put that tech out there there's always the chance more people start to pick it up, especially as leg entanglements get more popular.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me who beat Xande? Bracket results on the internet are worthless. I'm seeing that he armbarred Salter and Chsiev, then beat Chris Jones to take bronze, but I can't see who beat Xande to knock him out of gold/silver contention.
Gordon. By decision, I think.

Pena had actually used that same move several times before hand in their 540 match as well, to escape the saddle, before sticking the last attempt. It definitely looks like something he specifically worked on for dealing with the saddle in general, and Gordon Ryan in particular.

Like finishing a go behind, it's all about getting a handle on the far hip (after all, biomechanically, the only difference between the saddle and a leg weave is whether your own leg is extended or not). You usually can't dive for it right away from 'normal' saddle position on your butt, since the ground is in the way, and most leg lockers are experienced with guy's trying to spin that direction anyways, so what he does is turn away first, going to all fours, which turns the guy on the saddle with you belly down posting on his head, which opens up the daylight you need, and thats when you turn back in with the limp leg hip switch, diving for the far hip.

It also seems like something Gordon's camp, for all his talent and Danaher's quality coaching, has so far seemed unable to adapt too. Perhaps they figure it's simply a one off? But you know a hole is a hole, unless he's really content to just be second banana to Pena for the rest of his competitive career (which sometimes happens in combat sports; for instance how Chris Pendleton somehow always had Ben Askren's number in the NCAAs), but even if they want to write it off as an exception, since Felipe's put that tech out there there's always the chance more people start to pick it up, especially as leg entanglements get more popular.
Great post man

This post is amazing. Thank you!

So Pena wasn't waiting for Ryan to turn belly down before trying? He was actively pulling him belly down and then hip switching out?

Ok because the normal way of escaping inside senkaku is to push off the near side knee and turn away and start to pull/retract your leg out, but from here you jump back into your legs being entangled into a berimbolo.

Well, he beat Nicky Ryan in the opening round, and got silver overall. That's not too bad.

Yeah, I was totally wrong about AJ. This was his coming out party. He surprised the hell out of me and had an amazing run.

bro he isnt beating tanq, no one is saying that, but to say ryan has a chance in hell against aj specially in ths format is quite a call... Who has ever nicky beat thats elite? who has he ever hanged with whos elite?

the kid might be a prodigy, but his 16 gong against an elite grappler, who might be the veteran, but his no 40 years old zombie walking. Im sorry, I think your bias is getting in the way, bias towards aj and bias in favor of nicky, this is got to be the first time in I dont know how many years I do not agree with you.

Aj aint winning shit, but nicky is not beating him.

Looks like we were both wrong. Apparently AJ is a lot better (or has gotten a lot better) than hardly anyone gave him credit for.

Yeah, I was totally wrong about AJ. This was his coming out party. He surprised the hell out of me and had an amazing run.

He did well, but let's not get too hyperbolic. He faced teenager Ryan in the first round, and fought off numerous close sub attempts and back takes against Crelinsten in the second round. AJ is uniquely good at fighting from the brink of disaster, but I don't watch many of his matches and come away thinking he "won" in the holistic sense.

When was the last time AJ attempted a submission, seriously?

I watched all of his ADCC matches and all of his submission only contests over the last year or so, I've yet to see him attempt one legitimate submission, or at least one attempt where it looks like he's confident he can finish his opponent.

Nothing wrong with being almost impossible to submit, but I feel like he gets a pass on never ever attempting to actually submit anyone.

LOL

Sorry, now that I'm off the floor.

They would all (most) fell miserably.

That is kinda what i figured - some of them just look comical in their physiques (as in like comic book characters)

Some of them just never seem to tire out.

That is kinda what i figured - some of them just look comical in their physiques (as in like comic book characters)

Some of them just never seem to tire out.

Well, the things is the nature of the training is so brutal. Most people can't train more than 4 or 5 days a week, one time a day for an extended period of time and recover and not get injured. These guys are training multiple times a day, plus doing strength and conditioning EVERYDAY. So many of the young ones in their twenties are on gear, just imagine the older ones in there 30s, or Renzo Gracie who's like 50 and still competing? Anybody actually think they are just supermen who's body is built of steel parts unlike everybody else? Nah... 35 plus year old man just doesn't recover naturally like a 22 year old man. Especially considering the 22 year olds are on gear too...

Back