Adapting grappling for a one on one fight with no weapons/rules

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would like feedback from experienced grapplers.

Hypothetical situation: you get into a fight with one person on a hard surface, concrete for example. You can't talk them out of it or run away. There's no one else around to interfere and there's nothing available to be used as a weapon.

To me, it would be advisable to avoid guard or being on your back period. I know some of you guys are really great at sweeps but I feel like in this particular scenario, wrestling for top control would be more effective and safe.

I've never understood people jumping guard while standing. It seems like a bad habit to get into which could get you slammed if you're not protected by rules that don't allow it.

Is wrestling style top control more effective in this situation than getting into guard on the back?

I strongly feel you can take a person to the ground without following them there. Judo is great at keeping the thrower on their feet. Shiai or competition, going for the ippon you may want to ensure they lay flat on their back after they're thrown, so you follow to flatten them or transition to going for the pin. However, you don't have to follow them. I prefer stand up grappling with foot sweeps, leg reaps, head snap downs, etc.

I wouldn't want to chance being on my back in the situation you presented. However, I came from a wrestling and judo background so I may be presenting a biased perspective.

Call their mother a whore and then poke them in the eyes. Maybe a nut slap if they are super tough

I read some posts on a German martial arts forum about some grapplers (MMA and HEMA) who tried to play around with Pankration (ie. only eye gouges and biting are banned). Meaning: They tried to recreate the style unprofessionally by looking at statues, vases and old books and using their own expertise and skills to fill in the gaps.
In the end, they pretty quickly realized that many modern grappling/MMA approaches are pretty useless in such an environment.

For example, the guard was easily countered by punching the bottom guy in the balls several times. If you slipped a jab, you didn't hit the other guy in the body or face, you punched or grabbed his balls. Everything changed when basically nothing was banned. They expected Pankration to be a kind of watered-down MMA, but it turned out that Pankration was a much more brutal sport where anyone using a modern approach was basically completely lost. It was completely incompatible with modern ideas of combat sports.

Moral of the story: You have to change your mind set completely when there are no rules.

I read some posts on a German martial arts forum about some grapplers (MMA and HEMA) who tried to play around with Pankration (ie. only eye gouges and biting are banned). Meaning: They tried to recreate the style unprofessionally by looking at statues, vases and old books and using their own expertise and skills to fill in the gaps.
In the end, they pretty quickly realized that many modern grappling/MMA approaches are pretty useless in such an environment.

For example, the guard was easily countered by punching the bottom guy in the balls several times. If you slipped a jab, you didn't hit the other guy in the body or face, you punched or grabbed his balls. Everything changed when basically nothing was banned. They expected Pankration to be a kind of watered-down MMA, but it turned out that Pankration was a much more brutal sport where anyone using a modern approach was basically completely lost. It was completely incompatible with modern ideas of combat sports.

Moral of the story: You have to change your mind set completely when there are no rules.

Well your friends I’m thar forum have never heard abou ufc? First ufcs were NHB, groom shots were legal...

The guard? What guard? Close guard? How the heck are you going to strike the groin? has people grown groins on their pelvis?

The guard is not useless, is not ideal, but If you know what your doing, it’s quite safe... if it’s a one vs one scenario.

I always teach closing the distance and wall wrestling or stand up clinch in my BJJ so it is the basic strategy of clinching, taking away distance for strikes, doing a takedown and choking your opponent out. All that without relying on mats or soft surface......

Seems like bullshit. In all the bullshit martial arts they claim all the stuff that actually works is countered by some bullshit moves.

Well your friends I’m thar forum have never heard abou ufc? First ufcs were NHB, groom shots were legal...
First: Those guys were MMA and HEMA guys, so yeah, I guess they "heard" about UFC. And they aren't my friends either, just some guys on a German martial arts board.
UFCs were never NHB, man (neither was/is vale Tudo). How old are you? Eye gouges, biting and groin shots were illegal in UFC 1, groin shots were only allowed in UFC 2 - fighters wore steel cups then.
Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/26/2890710/mma-origins-ufc-1-MMA-History
Source for cups: https://books.google.com/books?id=P...ere you allowed to wear cups in ufc 1&f=false

I don't know what this has to do with the faux-Pankration they did, but I guess you'll explain yourself shortly. Not to mention we have lots of youtube videos where groin strikes look pretty effective even with cups and even in MMA pro fights.

So what is your point?

The guard? What guard? Close guard? How the heck are you going to strike the groin? has people grown groins on their pelvis?
You can't punch (or grab) someone's balls in a closed guard? Okay, buddy.

The guard is not useless, is not ideal, but If you know what your doing, it’s quite safe... if it’s a one vs one scenario.
Ofc it's not useless - in BJJ and MMA.

Seems like bullshit. In all the bullshit martial arts they claim all the stuff that actually works is countered by some bullshit moves.
You think hitting someone in the balls is bullshit?

EDIT: Added source for fighters wearing steel cups in UFC 2

I read some posts on a German martial arts forum about some grapplers (MMA and HEMA)

So, in other words, not necessarily highly skilled grapplers?

who tried to play around with Pankration (ie. only eye gouges and biting are banned). Meaning: They tried to recreate the style unprofessionally by looking at statues, vases and old books and using their own expertise and skills to fill in the gaps.

Most certainly not high skilled grapplers then.

For example, the guard was easily countered by punching the bottom guy in the balls several times.

Limb control is a primary principal of good grappling. If your opponent is in your guard and has time to sit up and start throwing punches then, again, you're failing in your control attempts. You need to control the wrists and the head as well as using your legs to off balance your opponent. I'm having a hard time (heheheheh) effectively visualizing such strikes from a closed guard scenario, so I'm assuming open guard.

they expected Pankration to be a kind of watered-down MMA, but it turned out that Pankration was a much more brutal sport where anyone using a modern approach was basically completely lost. It was completely incompatible with modern ideas of combat sports. Moral of the story: You have to change your mind set completely when there are no rules.

You're ignoring the possibility that these individuals, whose knowledge was limited to analyzing vases, were insufficiently skilled to demonstrate the conclusions you're making. If I took two white belts, told them they could hit each other in the balls, and set them loose, I would expect a similar result to what you're encountering. However, that's because they aren't good at grappling. To analogize it differently, beginners in the dog brothers stickfighting classes that knew some grappling would bum rush, lock sticks, and then turn it into a BJJ match. This doesn't mean that this was the alpha strategy, but rather that they sucked at stick fighting. When they went against a real stick fighter, they couldn't get close enough to do it without taking some cracks in the dome.

Pankration featured back attacks, leg locks, and other grappling maneuvers, in this self-same referenced vases/historical documents. Are we to assume that this was in a moment immediately preceding a devastating, game ending groin strike? No, that's silly.

When one does a google image search of "Pankration", it is surprising that not a single historical image features groin shots, even ones where people are held in a guillotine like position, ripe for the groining. Or that someone is depicted finishing a single leg, instead of reaching for the groin. Indeed, one would ask, if the groin grab is the end-all-be-all to counter grappling, pankration should have taken a stylistic approach such that the game revolved around it; the ball grabbing meta-game would change the posture, stance, and submissions of the sport. Both men would stand bladed, with hands at a low level, ready to reach for the groin. Grappling exists only in so far as you are forcing your opponents legs open to expose his delicate loins. Submissions are wastes of time and effort, as groin grabs are both the counter to submissions, AND the only submission worth pursuing.

But that didn't happen, did it? It would seem to imply, instead, that they have less of an impact than you would imagine. Especially against the hard men who fought in pankration.

First: Those guys were MMA and HEMA guys, so yeah, I guess they "heard" about UFC. And they aren't my friends either, just some guys on a German martial arts board.
UFCs were never NHB, man (neither was/is vale Tudo). How old are you? Eye gouges, biting and groin shots were illegal in UFC 1, groin shots were only allowed in UFC 2 - fighters wore steel cups then.
Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/26/2890710/mma-origins-ufc-1-MMA-History
Source for cups: https://books.google.com/books?id=PX3iAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT143&lpg=PT143&dq=were+you+allowed+to+wear+cups+in+ufc+1&source=bl&ots=pyjjvT2vOF&sig=65SDB9xtWpnVX6OSEpaxKXJWz08&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=were you allowed to wear cups in ufc 1&f=false

I don't know what this has to do with the faux-Pankration they did, but I guess you'll explain yourself shortly. Not to mention we have lots of youtube videos where groin strikes look pretty effective even with cups and even in MMA pro fights.

So what is your point?

You can't punch (or grab) someone's balls in a closed guard? Okay, buddy.

Ofc it's not useless - in BJJ and MMA.

You think hitting someone in the balls is bullshit?

EDIT: Added source for fighters wearing steel cups in UFC 2

You think you can grab balls in a close guard? Yeah if your fighting a zombie... fish hooking and biting were never legal that’s true, but if someone can bite so can you...

How long have you been grappling? I’m going to take a wild guess, zero days

This has been discussed to death, hitting someone in the balls works, just not from close guard, eye poking someone inside close guard? It could, again if the guy defending has no clue what he’s doing..

Here

Enjoy...

Last edited:
I would like feedback from experienced grapplers.

Hypothetical situation: you get into a fight with one person on a hard surface, concrete for example. You can't talk them out of it or run away. There's no one else around to interfere and there's nothing available to be used as a weapon.

To me, it would be advisable to avoid guard or being on your back period. I know some of you guys are really great at sweeps but I feel like in this particular scenario, wrestling for top control would be more effective and safe.

I've never understood people jumping guard while standing. It seems like a bad habit to get into which could get you slammed if you're not protected by rules that don't allow it.

Is wrestling style top control more effective in this situation than getting into guard on the back?
No one else around to interfere?

Eye gouging and biting it is...<{jackyeah}>

So, in other words, not necessarily highly skilled grapplers?
Whoo-boy getting quite defensive there, m8.
I'm just gonna ignore your weird way of discussing ("If ball attacks work in grappling, the fighters suck.") and logical fallacies ("I haven't seen groin punches on vases, so they didn't exist") and ask:

What is your point? I'm just referring to a post on a forum. Are you taking it personal? Is your problem you cannot visualize attacking someone's balls while being between his legs? This sounds like some late 90s troll post on Bullshido where you try to convince people that eye gouges don't work on you because you're hard as f**k. Chill out. I wasn't there when those guys did their faux-Pankration, I wouldn't know if they were going at it realistically. I just know they were grapplers and what they posted. Take it or leave it.

How long have you been grappling? I’m going to take a wild guess, zero days
Do Judo and sparring wrestlers count? Does it even have anything to do with the fact that some grapplers I don't know personally tried it out? Why would it?

This has been discussed to death, hitting someone in the balls works, just not from close guard, eye poking someone inside close guard? It could, again if the guy defending has no clue what he’s doing.
Hey, tell that to the guys who realized it works after trying it (according to themselves), I never tried it.

tl;dr: Stop taking it so personally and stop acting as if I was there. Sheesh.

How do you think Turkish Oil Wrasslin' came to fruition? It was made for teh streetz

Whoo-boy getting quite defensive there, m8.
I'm just gonna ignore your weird way of discussing ("If ball attacks work in grappling, the fighters suck.") and logical fallacies ("I haven't seen groin punches on vases, so they didn't exist") and ask:

What is your point? I'm just referring to a post on a forum. Are you taking it personal? Is your problem you cannot visualize attacking someone's balls while being between his legs? This sounds like some late 90s troll post on Bullshido where you try to convince people that eye gouges don't work on you because you're hard as f**k. Chill out. I wasn't there when those guys did their faux-Pankration, I wouldn't know if they were going at it realistically. I just know they were grapplers and what they posted. Take it or leave it.

Do Judo and sparring wrestlers count? Does it even have anything to do with the fact that some grapplers I don't know personally tried it out? Why would it?

Hey, tell that to the guys who realized it works after trying it (according to themselves), I never tried it.

tl;dr: Stop taking it so personally and stop acting as if I was there. Sheesh.

If you do judo, I think you would know that grabbing someone’s balls in close guard is not very realistic, bullshido my ass.

You weren’t there, but for some reason you took a strong stance on “guard doesn’t work cause 2 guys I have no idea who they are could hit each other’s balls”

Actually the bullshido side of things are death touch and sd systems based on dirty ninja crap...

If you do judo, I think you would know that grabbing someone’s balls in close guard is not very realistic, bullshido my ass.
What's the problem here exactly? You're looking for internet trouble or something?

You weren’t there, but for some reason you took a strong stance on “guard doesn’t work cause 2 guys I have no idea who they are could hit each other’s balls”
You think so? I just shared a post from another forum which sounded plausible to me. No idea why you're offended by that.

Actually the bullshido side of things are death touch and sd systems based on dirty ninja crap...
Yeah, we got it, you think hitting the balls doesn't work.

The most important grappling skill for people who might realistically find themselves in altercations (like police or security guards) is weapon retention.

The second most important skill is staying on your feet.

Finally, the third most important skill is being able to take someone who is standing up and make them be on the ground.

Last edited:
Foot sweeps, trips, and throws that keep you stand -> stomps and soccer kicks -> run like hell.

Back