Adams Boxing 16oz Custom Velcro Training Gloves

deh707

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Initial impressions and photos.

Performance review to follow up in the future.

Note that the only thing custom about my order is cosmetic. Metallic Silver and White theme. That's it. Everything else is default.

I must mention that these are technically still a Prototype model, and that future changes will be minimal.

yPph1Dz.jpg

QLwLhf2.jpg

YW7w2GN.jpg

For those that aren't aware, Adams Boxing has been a creator of top quality boxing shoes for a few years now. His shoes have been seen worn (and still being worn) by some high profile boxers televised on HBO/Shotime/etc on fight night.

This is his first attempt in the boxing glove market, but has been preparing for years.

From what he has told me, they are designed towards the protective style, blended with mexican gloves' feedback.

2 year warranty on the leather and padding. Meaning that if the leather/padding is damaged from normal wear, he will replace the gloves with a new pair.

Here are 2 screenshots of his statement of his gloves:

Part 1 of 2:

UmLCcsU.jpg

Part 2 of 2:

niLeuwN.jpg

Price: $230 shipped, but I paid $184 due to a 20% discount promo for donating any pair of used/new gloves. I'm not sure if he still runs this promo.

Processing time: I placed my order on 5/22/17, and they arrived 7/17/17. There were 2 delays. The first delay was due to the glove crafter recently having a child, and the second delay was due to the mistake of thinking my order was a hybrid lace/velcro (I ordered velcro). That pair is what is featured in his screenshots above ^.

I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but here are my initial impressions:

- They have a very broken in feel, similar to a blend of Sabas ProSeries 16oz and Winning 16oz. I can easily make a fist in them.

- Actual weight. 13.79oz and 13.86oz. Given the underweight, these are pretty much 14oz. This may be an issue to some, but personally I'm ok with it, as I plan on using Winning NG2 knuckle guards with them (adding an extra 1.1oz) after I use the gloves enough to provide room.

I've contacted Adams Boxing about this, and he plans on correcting it by adding more weight to the wrist area.

- Padding. 2 layers. I'm not sure what they consist of, but it is a special custom blend of Adams'. From what I can feel, they definitely remind me of Winning. I asked if they contain latex, they do not.

- Leather. Goatskin leather (like Cleto Reyes' fight gloves). Thinner than typical cowhide leather, but more water resistant.

- I like the thumb. The thumbs LOOK like they are over-curved like Reyes' trainers (and some people have issues with this), but they fit me very well, whereas I have a slight issue with the thumb of 12oz/14oz/16oz Reyes' trainers.

- Double stitching.

- The palm side's wrist area has some thick padding, I'm not sure if it's cotton or EVA. Feels more like EVA, but quite thick and spongy. Definitely more thick than Winning's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE - Performance impression*

Finally put the gloves to use. 15 rounds on the heavybag.

Pros:
- Very shock absorbing. Definitely the most Winning-like feel, probably the most similar to Winning out of all the Winning-clones I have tried (Sabas Supersoft, UMA RT41, Ring To Cage C17).

If I were to rate Winning trainers a 10/10 on shock absorption, I would rate these a 9.2/10.
And If I were to rate Winning trainers a 7.5/10 on punch feedback, I would rate these a 8.5/10 (Where Reyes' trainers is probably a 10/10).

- After 15 rounds of intense heavybag work, my hands were not sore at all. This is typical of high-end training gloves.

- That goatskin leather SMELL! I love it, don't know why.

- Can actually hear more impact compared to Winning, but not as loud as Reyes or Rival RB11/RB10 bag gloves.

- No issues with thumb placement.

- Excellent wrist support. The puffy, thick EVA foam on the wrists probably tributes to that. Good velcro strap, good typical black elastic band that is usually seen in velcro gloves.

Cons:

- Liner is a bit rough, some areas of my fingers were getting rubbed a little too aggressively during use. The liner in the final version will be updated to a more smooth type.

- No vent holes, although I did not notice any excessive heat like I do with Ringside IMF gloves and Rival's RS2V velcro sparring gloves. I'm sure you can request vent holes upon your custom order.

- A bit pricey at ~$230 USD, but I mention again that I paid $184 due to a 20% promo for donating any pair of used or new gloves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra notes:
I have been told that both layers of the foam are produced by a factory in Mexico that also produces high end foam for automobiles.

Since they actually weigh 13.xx ounces each, of course they feel "fast/light" compared to usual 16oz gloves. I have been told that this issue will be corrected by either adding more padding to the wrist and/or knuckles.

That's it for now, let's see how long these can hold up!

Last edited:
I notice that the photos are displaying a bunch of yellow/greenish colors.

This is NOT the case with my actual gloves.

My camera is just being weird I guess.

That is possibly the ugliest thumb I've ever seen on a glove (save for old 1960's gloves) rest of it looks great.

They look great. Thumb looks odd but if it fits then it fits. A 2 year warranty is definitely very ambitious.

If I were you, I'd abuse the hell out of them. Make them your sole gloves to see if they'll hold up...

If I were you, I'd abuse the hell out of them. Make them your sole gloves to see if they'll hold up...

Lol this is exactly what I've been having in mind.

And will probably do it.

Time to put these gloves up to the test by my heavyweight self!

I wonder if 8oz or 10oz gloves come with the same 2 year warranty. Also wonder how damaged they'd need to be for the warranty to come into effect. 2 years is a long time to sustain heavy use and still come out sparkling.

Leather with 2 year warranty is reasonable and doable. But 2 year warranty on padding too? That's a sweet deal for anyone who only own 1 or 2 pair at a time.

Update posted in OP.

Last edited:
Are these gloves made in the US? If so I think the high price seems reasonable considering the quality of the glove, and if they really do end up lasting a very long time, how they could potentially be competing with Winning and Reyes and Grant and occupy that same bracket etc.

Are these gloves made in the US? If so I think the high price seems reasonable considering the quality of the glove, and if they really do end up lasting a very long time, how they could potentially be competing with Winning and Reyes and Grant and occupy that same bracket etc.
Made in Mexico.

Mexico.

The brand label also mentions "Hecho En Mexico", just like Cleto Reyes' logo/label.

And I agree, if they are turn out to be very durable, they can definitely compete with the Big 3.

I'm on day 4 of using them as my only glove for mitts/bag, and the padding still hasn't softened up a bit, and remain super protective. It's one of the few pairs where I've no fear of throwing maximum power shots when they are still new (others being Sabas ProSeries/SuperSoft and Winning).

The reason why I brought up the thumb is with such a pronounced profile you have more chance of catching it on an opponent (sparring) and even clipping a bag badly and damaging your thumb. Now this isn't a big danger but it is still a danger as accidents can happen. It's why most gloves keep low profile of the thumb to protect your thumb and other fighters eyes.

Yo Deh,

How are the gloves holding up? Any updates?

Very well.

I've used them about 4-5x a week on the bag since I got them, and the padding is just now starting to soften. Both my 16oz Winning and 16oz Reyes of the past would have softened up a bit more by this point.

One thing worth noting, is the wrist support seems to have gotten a bit loose/weak. Not the velcro, but the padding on the wrist/palm areas.

Which is no problem since you can just adjust your handwraps accordingly (more on the wrist).

Will continue to use them as my primary glove and see how they hold up.

Very well.

I've used them about 4-5x a week on the bag since I got them, and the padding is just now starting to soften. Both my 16oz Winning and 16oz Reyes of the past would have softened up a bit more by this point.

One thing worth noting, is the wrist support seems to have gotten a bit loose/weak. Not the velcro, but the padding on the wrist/palm areas.

Which is no problem since you can just adjust your handwraps accordingly (more on the wrist).

Will continue to use them as my primary glove and see how they hold up.

How are these gloves doing a year and a half on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back