Adam chan on woman self defense

yeah the hesitation is a big thing. You really need that killer instinct and alot of tma doesnt teach it.

yeah the hesitation is a big thing. You really need that killer instinct and alot of tma doesnt teach it.

That's a big failing of the instruction where people are just caught up in shadow drilling without training the mindset at the same time. You see it more in the TMA's because the instructors aren't really trying to make aggressive fighters out of everyone there. They save the 'killer instinct" for their competition teams as if the regular students don't need it too.

That's a big failing of the instruction where people are just caught up in shadow drilling without training the mindset at the same time. You see it more in the TMA's because the instructors aren't really trying to make aggressive fighters out of everyone there. They save the 'killer instinct" for their competition teams as if the regular students don't need it too.
for me it wasnt that. i was good in sparring. but you need to get drilled into your head that you very likely will be kicking someone in the head, because they would do the same to you. at least where I live.

Do you ever post something usefull?

I learned it in my TMA (Shotokan), mostly because the dojo was "traditional" i.e. self defense oriented. Sports clubs with focus on WKF tourneys probably don't.

for me it wasnt that. i was good in sparring. but you need to get drilled into your head that you very likely will be kicking someone in the head, because they would do the same to you. at least where I live.

But it is teachable, so if it's not there it's because the instructor has chosen not to teach it. When you're teaching some soccer mom, she doesn't want to be told that she needs to be ready to permanently harm the other person. It's too far removed from her lifestyle and so the instructors don't touch it. The same thing applies with the kids classes, no one wants to teach little Johnny that the point of his martial arts class is to eventually be prepared to kill someone.

And so these people learn techniques without spirit. It becomes glorified dance moves, not just things like kata, but even the partner drills. Things you do in class but don't really think about in the real world. Even the sparring isn't really teaching it because everyone's friends and no one is really trying to hurt each other.

As a former inner city homeless shelter security staff, you have to be in it for real to react to it. The first couple of incidents as a rookie happen so fast the team was acting before I caught the escalation. That's what it's like, no amount of training prepares you for the real thing. With in a few months I could see the people set on violence before they attacked clients and staff and that's when the training becomes effective.

If you have to defend yourself you've already missed 20 situational awareness and threat assessment indicators that you were heading into trouble.

Down side to that experience is I'm still jumpy at any sudden noise or raised voice.

But even in that clip he never shows what he's detailing in real time with the other guy going full on against him.

As a former inner city homeless shelter security staff, you have to be in it for real to react to it. The first couple of incidents as a rookie happen so fast the team was acting before I caught the escalation. That's what it's like, no amount of training prepares you for the real thing. With in a few months I could see the people set on violence before they attacked clients and staff and that's when the training becomes effective.

If you have to defend yourself you've already missed 20 situational awareness and threat assessment indicators that you were heading into trouble.

Down side to that experience is I'm still jumpy at any sudden noise or raised voice.

But even in that clip he never shows what he's detailing in real time with the other guy going full on against him.

I used to train with a police officer who was in a special unit and he was big on those points. Real world violence is just extremely hard to train for unless you're constantly exposed to it. He had some drills we worked on but he was also pretty clear about the limitations of safe drills in the dojo vs. sudden escalation in a subway tunnel, for example.

I don't know, I'm only a 1:30 in and I'm already not liking this vid. The women in all those assault videos (except for the one that got laid out with one shot.) Could have defended themselves by employing the classic combat jiujitsu strategy.
Close the distance, enter the clinch, take the fight down, achieve a dominate position, GnP to a joint lock or choke hold.

Back