Actresses

Tilda Swindon is the new Gary Oldman, and has been for like ten years now.

Always liked Jodie Foster. I don't think I've felt more for a character than I did for Clarice in Silence of the Lambs.

I also like Rachel McAdams, Emily Blunt, and most of the actresses on Tol's list a few posts up.

Might as well add Allison Janney and Toni Collette.

Last edited:
Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit
Naomi Watts - King Kong
Toni Colette - Sixth Sense
Cate Blanchett - Little Fish
Jody Foster - Silence of the Lambs

Sarah Paulson - Generally anything she is in

I'm not too big on most actresses, BUT, I love Kristen Wiig. I had no appreciation of female comedy before her (even though ages ago as a small child I laughed with my parents and siblings at Carol Burnett).

Similarly, almost, I think Mo Collins is an underrated female comic. Her work on Mad TV was some of the best ever.

For more serious actresses, I'd say: Mila Jovovich, Natalie Portman, Wynona Ryder, Emily Blunt, Isla Fisher, Chloe Moretz, Naomi Watts, Marisa Tomei, Julia Ormond and Jennifer Anniston are ones that come to mind.

Ranked, I'd put them in this order I think:

1. Kristen Wiig
2. Mila Jovovich
3. Natalie Portman
4. Mo Collins
5. Wynona Ryder
6. Emily Blunt
7. Naomi Watts
8. Jennifer Anniston
9. Isla Fisher
10. Chloe Moretz

Hon: Julia Ormond, Kristen Bell, Ana Faris, Marisa Tomei, Amy Poehler

170px-Emily_Blunt_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg
I think she looked her best in Looper

still-of-joseph-gordon-levitt-and-emily-blunt-in-looper-2012-large-picture-e1424322225531.jpg

Last edited:
Frances McDormand is probably one of the best actresses still going.

I thought that Rosie O'Donnell was pretty hot in those S&M scenes in Exit to Eden.

She looked great in The Adjustment Bureau too.
Forgot about that flick. Yeah, her face looked better because she was skinnier but I prefer her with some meat on her bones.

Her figure can support it.

Jodie Foster
Natalie Portman
Scarlett Johansson
Sigourney Weaver
Frances McDormand

In the current context there are several that just jump out to me

Saoirse Ronan- since I saw and really liked Atonement a decade ago, I knew she was legit. Her work in both Brooklyn and Lady Bird was awesome and she is very capable of a wide range of roles/performances. I feel the sky is the limit for her. Still real young and already an (about to be) three-time Oscar nominee. Very talented and one of my favorite actresses of the past couple of decades.

Michelle Williams- another actress where you can very much see the commitment to the roles and she does not seem averse to trying different things and stepping outside of her comfort zone. Really thought she was great in All the Money in the World, Manchester by the Sea, Blue Valentine, etc.

Vikander, Chastain, Rachel McAdams, Octavia Spencer, Emily Blunt and Annette Benning are some other actresses whose work I've consistently enjoyed.

You guys definitely brought up some people I forgot to give props to as well. Swinton, in particular, is awesome every time out. And she is capable of widely diverse roles. Check out Trainwreck and Doctor Strange, Michael Clayton and Hail Caesar just to get a sense of that.

Probably not a huge stretch for her but Anna Faris plays a bimbo better than most:

062110-anna-ferris2-400x580.jpg

That is a rock solid line up. I'd throw in Maria Bello, Molly Parker, and Lily Taylor into this mix. I'm also a huge fan of Viola Davis.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Lily Taylor. She's great.

Barbara Stanwyck
Helen Mirren
Cate Blanchett
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Setsuko Hara
Ingrid Thulin
Liv Ullmann
Harriet Andersson

Anya Taylor-Joy just got started but she's off to a very promising start with The Witch and Split.

Last edited:
Streep knows how to act. Lead or character. She's beloved as shit though, and I don't see it.

McDermott breaks out. All-the-fucking-time. She wins.

Back