accepting rank from non-black belts | Page 6

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Steve08, Oct 25, 2015.

1. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
    Interesting. Never thought of it that way but it makes sense.

I've never received a certificate of any kind. We don't do stripes either. They basically just throw a belt at you one day.

I also would describe my place as more of a club and less of an academy or school, so I guess that lines up and makes sense that I wouldn't have a cert.

2. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
    Really? I'm a brown belt that has received no certificates, but I was able to compete at Worlds as a brown belt. I got my paperwork signed and everything.

I also have an IBJJF membership card.

But again I have never received a certificate of any sort in my BJJ career. FWIW the black belts at my school do receive certificates, but no other belts colors do.

I plan to open a school within the next few years. Is this going to be a problem for me? Or will the certificate at black belt make up for the lack of certificates at other belts?

3. esteven Blue Belt

esteven
    Nobody will know anything about certificates, or lineage, or who promoted whom or when. Nor will they care.

SummerStriker and mataleaos like this.
  4. lechien Gold Belt

lechien
    So you got your brown belt membership application signed by your black belt instructor?

I had to send each certificate for my membership and certification.

I guess ibjjf does not care about the certificates as long as the instructors endorsing the application signed for each belt.

So it will not affect your application for bb as it is the same process as brown.

Not sure if you want to spend the money for the bb ibjjf certificate.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    mataleaos likes this.
  5. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    So, I just got my second degree on my black belt this past Saturday. I was told that I can now promote to black. I have no interest in this, but I was wondering; can I give out degrees? I don’t think so.
    Hypothetically speaking...

I know it’s just a time issue with ibjjf.

lechien likes this.
  6. lechien Gold Belt

lechien
    Congrats on the second degree s.

It is a rule in the ibjjf that only a second degree ibjjf can endorse the bb ibjjf certificate of his student.

Your question is actually really interesting because in theory, there is nothing written in the federation graduation system.

But it is time based if you follow ibjjf standard.

And the bb degrees no longer follow the need of the endorsement of a bb 2 degrees so to speak.

Let put this way.

I was a ibjjf certified bb endorsed by a 2 degree ibjjf certified bb.

Then I split and had to start my own team.

I no longer need any bb to endorse my next degree.

I actually go straight to the ibjjf for my degrees and no longer affiliated to anyone else.

If someone came to me and said he wants to join me.

I cannot sign for his ibjjf certification because I am only 1 degree.

The day I am second degree, I can sign for my student ibjjf bb certification application.

Even if someone joins the team and he has been a black belt for 3 years and therefore should be one degree

I will not be in the position to sign his application for obvious reason because I am a lowly one degree.

If I was 2 degrees, I could.

However, the federation would only back dated from when he was an ibjjf bb member or ibjjf certified.

I know it is complicated but for example, the day I was promoted to bb by my instructor and the day I was recognised as bb by the ibjjf are 2 different date.

Now if no one cares about ibjjf standards then ignore what I just said because it is useless.

For people that are just members as bb of ibjjf. Don't lose hope as ibjjf still will back date you in case you decide to get certificate later on.

Let out this way.

My team mate that never cared about ibjjf bb certificate but still got his member ship as a bb. He went straight to 1 degree based on his years as a bb from his membership.

It is weird because I had to sign his application as he is my sempai so to speak. Is senior to me. But the reason was due to my ibjjf certification.

For the people that are shaking their head in disbelief saying that they don't care and they don't want politics.

Well guess what,

If you don't want to care and do politics, either stay out of ibjjf or be part o it.

So far, i avoid a lot more politics being part of it and running my own team.

Instead of not being a member which result on being a bottom feeder which meas affiliation and all the good and bad things that come with that type of bs.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Cash Bill 52 likes this.
  7. Shizzx Blue Belt

Shizzx
    We actually have a gym that is in the middle of no where. in East Carolina. ( about 6 hours away from my school).
    We drive down every year and do a rank review. My teach is a 2nd degree bb but the own of the school just received his black belt a little over a year ago. He doesnt do promotion until my teach or Robson comes into town. ( its kinda weird to me) but ehh to each is own. I love coming down there to see the progression and those going for the purple and brown are always gunning for my neck when im there. I love every bit of it. We have a few school around us that we travel to just for that purpose. if they are missing in action or away the teach sometimes just waits till the next one and just stacks on promotions. that part i dont agree on if its a belt. but stripes then thats fine.

8. Quebec Nick Blue Belt

Quebec Nick
    My club is run by a brown belt, who's also the owner. There's pretty much only Gracie Barra that has blackbelts on the Montreal South Shore, the rest are clubs run by brown and purple belt that are managed by Montreal school's in some way.

My coach as a reputation to be very slow for promotions, our school has very good results in competitions, he runs a good Gi program even if we are also an MMA gym... When we do stuff like training camps with the other schools from our affiliation we're pretty much the most advanced in the said belt rank.

So, even if the coach is a brown belt, he's doing whatever he wants, we have a blackbelt from another city that comes for the promotions, he doesn't even aknowledge or sees the guy roll and he gives the guy his belt, sometimes it's the big boss from brazil that comes down to do it during a seminar.

BJJ is not developped equally around north america, not everybody is living in NY or LA where there's blackbelts everywhere.

Franklegit and Tchoker like this.
  9. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    That's all fine and good if you have the patience. Unfortunately, just as many people don't have the patience and want it here and now.

There was a local association that used to have to wait for the head to come over annually for their promotions. It was (rightly) a big deal with seminars, promotions, parties etc.

I guess in that once a year type teams, I feel bad for the person that is never around at the time (say they're on vacation at that time of year). Sometimes they don't care, but again for some it's a huge deal

10. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    That should be the case. But remember a lot of the time, the person promoting doesn't know who all the students are. In some cases, changing the belt is the first time they've met them. It's a trust factor that the instructor knows that the person is ready.

For the cynic in all of us, there used to be stories about promotions on the old Gracie Cruises