accepting rank from non-black belts

I'm a 2 stripe purple who has been training for nearly 7 years under a 2nd degree black belt, I have yet to see a certificate given out to anyone...

Some people do them some people don’t.

I'm a 2 stripe purple who has been training for nearly 7 years under a 2nd degree black belt, I have yet to see a certificate given out to anyone...

At my old club I never saw certificates given out, but at my new club they do it. I guess it just depends on the organisation?

I got my blue belt from a 4 stripe brown belt, who got his black belt a month or two later. I've seen people get purple belts from 3 or 4 stripe brown belts too. I always thought the grade should come from someone two grades higher, ie. brown can promote to blue, black can promote to purple, black 1st degree can promote to brown etc. But maybe something like an experienced brown belt (3 or 4 stripes) giving out a purple is is ok for example.

I dont do promotions but i do the evaluations of them for my teacher and give him the go ahead based on what I feel since im always on the mat with them rolling. I also travel with him and evaluate other students up to my level ( some actually above, when i was purple belt). I wouldn't feel right giving out any belts above blue as a brown belt, even though im the one testing them. That gratification should come from a legit black belt in my honest opinion.

This is my two cents and my opinion only..... I think it's a money market personally and people pay because they are afraid to negotiate. Where I train the instructor pays an affiliation fee + yearly membership dues to the mother association + has to attend one seminar a year with the top dog + has to put on two seminars a year with his instructor.... money! That's why monthly dues are high. Again just my opinion

I'm glad I'm a black belt and can do what the hell I want and am not affiliated with anyone. The politics is crap and sucks. In a little over 5 years I'll have my 2 degrees (IBJJF) and can sign on black belt cards and have no desire to affiliate after that. I currently have someone who will sign any cards I need (black belt) but I'm YEARS away from needing that. I am able to sign purple (Starting 2018) and brown belt cards so that's all we need at this point.

If the guy giving rank has a legit lineage and accountability to that lineage, I see no problem with it.

I'm glad I'm a black belt and can do what the hell I want and am not affiliated with anyone. The politics is crap and sucks. In a little over 5 years I'll have my 2 degrees (IBJJF) and can sign on black belt cards and have no desire to affiliate after that. I currently have someone who will sign any cards I need (black belt) but I'm YEARS away from needing that. I am able to sign purple (Starting 2018) and brown belt cards so that's all we need at this point.

If my main business project takes off over the next few years. I would eventually love to open a completely independent gym. No ibjjf no politics.

I'm an ibjjf recognized gym and have my ibjjf cert but I am my own affiliation. No one to answer too.

I was probably a bit flippant with my first reply.

Essentially some people do and some people don't. These days, more do than don't. It makes it feel a bit more "official" and almost adds to the belt as a form of double entry accounting system type of validation/confirmation. I for one have lost my certificates. Someone might make a big deal out of it down the line but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. They're just not important to me in the greater scheme of things.

If you go old school, you can always go with "the truth are always found on the mats". As I noted previously, be aware though that one just can't look at what happens on the mat and think "that guy doesn't deserve his rank".

I dont do promotions but i do the evaluations of them for my teacher and give him the go ahead based on what I feel since im always on the mat with them rolling. I also travel with him and evaluate other students up to my level ( some actually above, when i was purple belt). I wouldn't feel right giving out any belts above blue as a brown belt, even though im the one testing them. That gratification should come from a legit black belt in my honest opinion.

Yeah where possible. What about if the team is located in the middle of no where? What about come promotion time, student is away on holiday or something.

Some don't care, some want the recognition of progression

This is my two cents and my opinion only..... I think it's a money market personally and people pay because they are afraid to negotiate. Where I train the instructor pays an affiliation fee + yearly membership dues to the mother association + has to attend one seminar a year with the top dog + has to put on two seminars a year with his instructor.... money! That's why monthly dues are high. Again just my opinion

Well it is. Someone's making money out of it. Unfortunately as much as some would all like to believe that martial arts should not be profited on, it is a business and thus livelihood for some people.

It ain't all "love of the game"

Hold on.

You are saying that you did not receive a certificate for you blue and purple belt.

What are you planning to do later on?

If you just happy without one so be it.

Some students would want to get themselves registered as ibjjf members in order to compete or/and get their bb certified by the ibjjf once they get promoted.

They would need to keep their certificates of each belt for that purpose.

Well im sure if it came down to it, I could get something printed up... but Im not remotely concerned with having my instructors legitimacy nor my belt being questioned by anyone.

What happen to having your picture made with the instructor when you are promoted? Personally I like to do that and store the picture away for future use. To me I think that will carry more weight/legitimacy if some guy starts questioning your rank. crap I see tons of that on Farcebook

I don't see an issue with a brown or purple giving rank to blue or purple as long it's not same rank as the person giving it.

I agree with what your saying that the person instructing probably is more aware of an individual students skill level in BJJ. However a student who gets their belt from a particular school is then in a sense a representative of that school. When he participates in a competition or goes to another gym to train he is showing that schools colors. I would imagine if I ever became a black belt and had a school I would want to be personally involved with who got a belt and who didn't because it could reflect negatively on the school if someone is promoted to a belt before they are truly ready for it. However back in the early days of bjj blue belts used to come from Cali and open schools all over the US. No idea how the promotion system worked back then lol

I started in 2001.

At the time, it was acceptable for a Carlson Gracie student to promote up to the level below their rank.

My coach was a brown belt and he promoted people to purple.

This was common!

They were supposed to "ask" for permission but it was more like

"Valo, Dave who is the new blue belt guy?"

"Oh, hey Carlos! I promoted him. That cool???"

"Yeah that's good! Imma sure he strong guy! When's lunch????"

Simple.

Gracie Barra even stated on their website that lower belts could promote to the rank below if there were no black belts in the area. This was back in 2007.

Now everyone just assumes that it's always been black belts promoting, ignoring the fact that America was a bjj wasteland a decade ago, not to mention all over Europe.

I actually miss those days, because now we have people being promoted to black belt level too quickly to facilitate sales in an open market. If some guy in Nowhere Kansas opens a school in an area with rich parents and no competition that dude will get promoted to black belt ASAP no matter how he grapples because he is a cash cow. There is no incentive to be a better grappler anymore.

That's because people would rather get promoted by a terrible black belt then a more skilled purple.

this.. i guess alot of these guys didnt start training till the 2010s when black belts were much more common i remember when my home state only had 1 black belt and blue belts were as rare as browns blacks of today

tbh the old way u could promote to a belt under you if you were a purple basically people didnt get promoted nearly as fast then as they do now as well tons of guys took 12 years to get blacks now you see 2 year purples so yeah times have changed and the belt standards

Hold on.

You are saying that you did not receive a certificate for you blue and purple belt.

What are you planning to do later on?

If you just happy without one so be it.

Some students would want to get themselves registered as ibjjf members in order to compete or/and get their bb certified by the ibjjf once they get promoted.

They would need to keep their certificates of each belt for that purpose.

I never received a certificate for any of my promotions. but i didnt Robson sign off my form when i registered for the iBJJF tournament at purple belt. and since that I dont think i have to get it resigned for my brown belt if im not mistaken.. but now my instructor is a 2nd degree so I'm good if i have to get it signed again.

The lack of certificate is just weird to me.

I mean lot of them make their students call them professor which mean students. They refer to their customer as student.

They refer to their business as a school and/or an academy.

I would have thought that graduation and therefore giving a certificate would be part of any form of teaching.

I don't see an issue with a brown or purple giving rank to blue or purple as long it's not same rank as the person giving it.
I promoted one person before as a brown belt. I bumped them from white to blue. The academy had closed and there was a transition time where it was uncertain if there would be another one, and the student had deserved a blue belt for a very long time. I questioned myself for doing it, but it really felt like the right decision.

Back