accepting rank from non-black belts | Page 4

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Steve08, Oct 25, 2015.

1. fanboysareevil Green Belt

fanboysareevil
    I don't necessarily disagree, but why is the onus on BJJ to be a complete, perfect grappling art and not others? How many Judo black belts have trash newaza? A lot. No one complains about wrestlers not knowing submissions either.

mataleaos likes this.
  2. Mbetz1981 White Belt

Mbetz1981
    Well... This is a good point, and I think my answer would be this:

Judo at it's core is very well rounded, but the rules of sport Judo post WWII, have neutered it into what we see today.

I think something similar has been happening in the last decade or so in the BJJ world.

There have been major strides in certain areas of the game, (more advanced guard work, more refinement of certain subs/set ups, etc), but at the cost of a big core of the art.

If you look at the BJJ stars of years past, then you see that while they probably didn't know much about deep half guard/berimbolos/or bong wizards, they had a much better grasp on fundamental self defense, dealing with strikes, basic judo throws/ clinch work, etc, and were probably generally tougher fighters then our current generation.

To be fair... there were early bjj stars with mediocre takedown skiils, (Wallid Ismail comes to mind), but this seems to be a much bigger issue today, then in times past.

In short... BJJ's roots = Judo/Jujutsu with far more emphasis on the newaza. Not just a marathon of double guard pulls and butt scoots.

mataleaos likes this.
  3. lechien Gold Belt

lechien
    Medhi said that the reason why the gracies promote the guard so much is because they don't know how to throw.

He taught so many of the Gracie's like rolls.

4. Gandhi Birdie num nums

Gandhi
    That’s how i thought it worked as well.

I’m also not getting this instruction thing. We have blacks and browns that teach well.

I spent over an hour going over single leg x stuff I learned from grapple arts to the brown belt and he spent the next week teaching it. And I’m a lowly blue belt. I like belts, they motivate, but it really is just a piece of cloth.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  5. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
    I've never thought about that.

Holy shit you're right.

BJJ Coffee Drinker likes this.
  6. fanboysareevil Green Belt

fanboysareevil
    The thing is, this is just not true. If you discount seperate Judo/Wrestling background experience, the level of TDs in BJJ is much higher now, particularly in no gi. Just because many find inverted buttfloppers aesthetically displeasing doesn't mean they're any worse at takedowns than the closed guard huggers were. In many cases they're actually much better.

PointyShinyBurn likes this.
  7. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    A lot of people promoted by black belts not in main academies are essentially rubber stamped and are based on the opinions on the main instructor(s) that day in day out gauge the improvements in the student.

Yeah, I bet it's awesome to say that say <insert your favourite BJJ superstar> tied a new belt around your waist to promote you, but if they've never seen you train and barely know you from a hole in the wall is it really their opinion that you should be promoted.

In my time, I've only ever seen one where a person due to be promoted as so bad that it took a bit of convincing to have them promoted. Essentially during the test (which by in large is largely ceremonial anyways) the person had a near panic attack and brain farted, forgetting almost every bit of jiu jitsu they knew. There was a lot of "We swear, he's not like this every other day of the year". Ironically if my memory serves me right, there was another guy that got promoted that day and I'm convinced he knew nothing about jiu jitsu beyond being 260 odd lbs of supplementation.

Gandhi likes this.
  8. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    It is, but some people don't care.

9. Darwinambrosius Thought you had a friend, boy?

Darwinambrosius
    BJJ has such a bizarre culture.

10. Striderxdj Brown Belt

Striderxdj
    Came to say this. Although I wouldnt find it unreasonable for a seasoned, proven purple belt passing out blue belts at an out of the way affililate school, provided he went through his instructor to get his blessing.

11. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    Yep, it can still be at some places a bit cultish. It hasn't completed blown wide open with McDojoism yet where it seems everything is a business transaction. BJJ is straddling that line right now

Calibur and Darwinambrosius like this.
  12. lechien Gold Belt

lechien

Well. At the end of the day, I doubt the purple belt can sign the certificate, he will have to get a bb to sign it.

13. Darwinambrosius Thought you had a friend, boy?

Darwinambrosius
    And I say that as a practitioner of nine years (brown belt). Maybe because I spent my whole life wrestling, I don't get all the nuances, but it just seems so silly.

So much talk about what acceptable or not, what is good/bad for development of BJJ, gym owners teaching "self-defense," and soccer moms and soft ass dudes thinking they "fight."

14. Tchoker White Belt

Tchoker
    I got my blue belt from a blue belt and don't have a certificate. Am I breaking the rules when competing at the blue belt level?

15. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    I'd rather people train than not. Everything else, if you've got the energy to get involved with it, more power to you

Darwinambrosius likes this.
  16. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    Respectfully, I doubt anyone is going to check for legitimacy at the blue belt level.

Tchoker likes this.
  17. lechien Gold Belt

lechien
    It depends on the organisers.

Tchoker likes this.
  18. Striderxdj Brown Belt

Striderxdj
    I'm a 2 stripe purple who has been training for nearly 7 years under a 2nd degree black belt, I have yet to see a certificate given out to anyone...

FatherSauce likes this.
  19. lechien Gold Belt

lechien
    Hold on.

You are saying that you did not receive a certificate for you blue and purple belt.

What are you planning to do later on?

If you just happy without one so be it.

Some students would want to get themselves registered as ibjjf members in order to compete or/and get their bb certified by the ibjjf once they get promoted.

They would need to keep their certificates of each belt for that purpose.

20. FatherSauce Blue Belt

FatherSauce
    Maybe where you're at @lechien, that's a real thing, but I haven't seen it mentioned at any of the promotions I've been a part of. I'm sure it happens for the black belts that compete IBJJF or promote the ones that do, but outside of that I don't think most even consider it.