Absolver

Windfall, easily. I'm so used to Dark Souls with dodging that it feels most familiar
I forget the name but I've only tried the style with the parrying ability. It doesn't seem very useful though so maybe you're right and dodging would be a better idea.

Servers are down on PC and have been all day. They've been pretty iffy since launch. Looks like people are requesting refunds because of it, judging by the Steam forums.

Here's a map:
https://www.reddit.com/r/absolver/comments/6x05z6/rudimentary_map_for_hopefully_better_navigation/
nje7fprmfwiz.png

I've had a hell of a time navigating without it for some reason. The entire game is basically a maze.

I like the combat system but there is so much wrong with the game. Some people have been getting double marked ones (2 at a time), myself included. I've encountered a lot of things in the game where I don't know if it's intentional or if it's a bug.

Sometimes when I'm fighting a group of enemies, they'll run back to their area, which is just a few feet away, and they'll suddenly regain full health right in front of me. I don't know if it's a bug or what. I certainly don't see them heal themselves.

Also not sure how the game is supposed to play. When I die and respawn, which happens a lot, everyone else respawns in the game too despite having beaten them. Am I supposed to have a perfect run through a level? I really don't understand? I'll encounter a tough enemy which takes a lot of attempts to beat, and each time I die, I end up just running past everyone else in the game that has respawned as well. I don't understand what's expected.
Enemies respawning when you die is probably normal, at least when you lose a match. I noticed they don't respawn immediately but only when I'm defeated (like after two deaths to the same enemy). I'm still fuzzy on the mechanics though so could be wrong.

Enemies respawning when you die is probably normal, at least when you lose a match. I noticed they don't respawn immediately but only when I'm defeated (like after two deaths to the same enemy). I'm still fuzzy on the mechanics though so could be wrong.

They respawn but the same ones don't respawn. I've noticed some tough ones who beat me and when I go back they're super easy at times.

They respawn but the same ones don't respawn. I've noticed some tough ones who beat me and when I go back they're super easy at times.
Maybe they're just in different positions or something because I remember getting jumped at this one corner near where I kept dying but they weren't there every time I revived.

Then again, I still don't really understand what the hell is going on in this game, lol.

Just became an Absolver, beat Jinn Mesca, and joined the Stagger school. Having windfall stance with drunken moves is funny, it confuses the shit out of people because I can still avoid.

The PVP is the bread and butter, if you're not enamored with it right out the gate, this might not be the right one. They're planning on adding 3v3 fights and dungeons down the road, but the backbone is the combat. It helps to think of it as a fighting game with rpg elements instead of vice versa.

I haven't jumped into PVP yet, haven't had the time. The combat deck and mechanics are definitely enjoyable but I'm not sure that will be enough to keep me playing. The world (although good looking) is a nightmare to navigate and feels pretty small. Not sure how much content this game can churn out.

I tried the drunken boxing style over the weekend and didn't like it. Seems like windfall is the best style right now. The Khalt style can be so annoying on a NPC, though.

If that's the case, then is a perfect run expected?

If dying results in everyone respawning, essentially it's "starting over".

So do the developers expect me to stop and fight everyone again each time I die? I'm just running past everyone to get back to where I died so I can try again. I die a lot, especially against bosses.

I don't understand the intent of that design.

If that's the case, then is a perfect run expected?

If dying results in everyone respawning, essentially it's "starting over".

So do the developers expect me to stop and fight everyone again each time I die? I'm just running past everyone to get back to where I died so I can try again. I die a lot, especially against bosses.

I don't understand the intent of that design.
Their aggro range seems pretty short, meaning they won't pursue very far, so you should be able to run by the enemies you don't want to fight. All the Souls type games are like that so I assume that's what the devs had in mind. I usually fight everything until I know where I'm going and then just run past them to get back to wherever I died, like you're doing.

Maybe Easy123 can chime in if I got any of that wrong.

Their aggro range seems pretty short, meaning they won't pursue very far, so you should be able to run by the enemies you don't want to fight. All the Souls type games are like that so I assume that's what the devs had in mind. I usually fight everything until I know where I'm going and then just run past them to get back to wherever I died, like you're doing.

Maybe Easy123 can chime in if I got any of that wrong.

You're right. Although I run past most NPCs until I get to a boss if I died at one.

Otherwise I fight everyone so I can learn moves. That's one thing this has over Souls games. You can benefit by fighting NPCs by learning their moves. But their Aggro range is short as hell. Then again so are the enemies in Souls games.

Just to note I think the Souls games are better than this anyway. Absolver is still good but lacking in atmosphere and leveling options compared to those. Also there's never any penalty for death so it's a bit easier. But for $30 I never expected a Souls game.

You're right. Although I run past most NPCs until I get to a boss if I died at one.

Otherwise I fight everyone so I can learn moves. That's one thing this has over Souls games. You can benefit by fighting NPCs by learning their moves. But their Aggro range is short as hell. Then again so are the enemies in Souls games.

Just to note I think the Souls games are better than this anyway. Absolver is still good but lacking in atmosphere and leveling options compared to those. Also there's never any penalty for death so it's a bit easier. But for $30 I never expected a Souls game.
Good point. I forgot about being able to learn moves. I haven't been able to do that yet. It's hard to block effectively for very long. I run out of stamina and get guard broken so then I panic and just finish the fight.

BTW how responsive do you find the controls? I can't figure out if they feel a little laggy or if I'm just getting hit too often so my combos are being interrupted. Is there poise in this game? Do you get hyperarmour on any of your attacks?

Good point. I forgot about being able to learn moves. I haven't been able to do that yet. It's hard to block effectively for very long. I run out of stamina and get guard broken so then I panic and just finish the fight.

BTW how responsive do you find the controls? I can't figure out if they feel a little laggy or if I'm just getting hit too often so my combos are being interrupted. Is there poise in this game? Do you get hyperarmour on any of your attacks?

No poise as far as I can tell. A block absorbs everything, just at different stamina costs. Certain things feel a bit laggy to me, like hitting, but dodging has no lag. It kinda makes it harder to learn moves if you dodge, though. Dodging at the perfect time will interrupt an enemy combo and then you can attack. The problem there is that you're taking them out without learning much, so it seems like blocking to absorb moves first is the way to go.

No poise as far as I can tell. A block absorbs everything, just at different stamina costs. Certain things feel a bit laggy to me, like hitting, but dodging has no lag. It kinda makes it harder to learn moves if you dodge, though. Dodging at the perfect time will interrupt an enemy combo and then you can attack. The problem there is that you're taking them out without learning much, so it seems like blocking to absorb moves first is the way to go.

Not even. Dodging helps you learn moves even faster than blocking. Using your class ability on attacks is the best way to learn new moves.

Not even. Dodging helps you learn moves even faster than blocking. Using your class ability on attacks is the best way to learn new moves.

Really? I spent most of my time dodging but didn't think it was doing much. Interesting.

Really? I spent most of my time dodging but didn't think it was doing much. Interesting.

Yep. It was in the opening tutorial. Dodging/Class ability learn new moves much quicker than blocking. I see you're using windfall as well, try to rely on your avoid ability. Not only is it a great dodge, but it will build up your move list quickly.

This isn't 100% confirmed but supposedly windfall avoid isn't affected by mobility so you can keep a quick dodge with heavy armor. Haven't tested it myself, yet.

Can you have more than 1 style on a character in the long run? Im using that Khalt or something thing now, the other 2 were too difficult cause I am bad. What do you guys put stats on?

Can you have more than 1 style on a character in the long run? Im using that Khalt or something thing now, the other 2 were too difficult cause I am bad. What do you guys put stats on?

I'm not sure about that. I thought I read somewhere that you can learn the drunken style but I didn't understand if that was on top of Windfall or whatever. I mostly put points into endurance and vitality. Not sure what all the other categories do.

Sort of.

You will always have one set style that determines your ability.
There's 4 styles you can switch through: Forsaken, Khalt, Windfall, Stagger
With the 4 abilities: Parry, Absorb, Avoid, Special Attacks

You can learn moves from any style and mix n match them in your combat deck as you wish

Sort of.

You will always have one set style that determines your ability.
There's 4 styles you can switch through: Forsaken, Khalt, Windfall, Stagger
With the 4 abilities: Parry, Absorb, Avoid, Special Attacks

You can learn moves from any style and mix n match them in your combat deck as you wish

How do you edit the combat deck?

Yep. It was in the opening tutorial. Dodging/Class ability learn new moves much quicker than blocking. I see you're using windfall as well, try to rely on your avoid ability. Not only is it a great dodge, but it will build up your move list quickly.

This isn't 100% confirmed but supposedly windfall avoid isn't affected by mobility so you can keep a quick dodge with heavy armor. Haven't tested it myself, yet.
Guess I need to try Windfall then. I've only used Forsaken so far and it's kind of meh. Dodging looks like more my style.

I don't remember seeing any other styles though when I was in meditation. Do you have to beat a certain enemy or boss to unlock them?

Back