About WWE Releasing DVD Set On Harley Race's Career

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
WWE has released quite a few DVD sets that document Riv Flair's career including a DVD titled "Ric Flair And The Four Horsemen." WWE really has done a pretty good job on those DVD sets, especially "The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection" which did tremendous sales. That and 3 more DVD sets is a lot for one wrestler, but he is arguably the best pro wrestler of all time and a 16 time World Champion.

If Flair warranted 4 DVD sets, then certainly the 8 time NWA World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race deserves, at the very least, one DVD set of at least 3 discs, considering he is an 8 time NWA World Heavyweight Champion and arguably the second greatest NWA Champion of all time. Ric Flair said Harley was the toughest man he ever faced..

Sadly, since there were no VCRs during the majority of Harley Race's career, there is nowhere near the amount of Harley Race vides on Yutube as there are of Ric Flair, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and The Rock even though Harley Race was the most dominant wrestler of the 1970s, and the biggest draw of any heel wrester of the 70s and early 80s.

Maybe the reason a DVD set documenting Race's amazing career is that Vince McMahon feels that the typical wrestling fan of today isn't familiar enough with just how legendary a wrestler Harley Race is and his vital importance to the history of pro wrestling. Yet that is exactly why a DVD set on Harley Race is needed as much as it is. It's criminal there isn't even one DVD collection covering Harley Race's career considering how great he was, how influential he was, and his place in the history of pro wrestling.

WWE has released quite a few DVD sets that document Riv Flair's career including a DVD titled "Ric Flair And The Four Horsemen." WWE really has done a pretty good job on those DVD sets, especially "The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection" which did tremendous sales. That and 3 more DVD sets is a lot for one wrestler, but he is arguably the best pro wrestler of all time and a 16 time World Champion.

If Flair warranted 4 DVD sets, then certainly the 8 time NWA World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race deserves, at the very least, one DVD set of at least 3 discs, considering he is an 8 time NWA World Heavyweight Champion and arguably the second greatest NWA Champion of all time. Ric Flair said Harley was the toughest man he ever faced..

Sadly, since there were no VCRs during the majority of Harley Race's career, there is nowhere near the amount of Harley Race vides on Yutube as there are of Ric Flair, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and The Rock even though Harley Race was the most dominant wrestler of the 1970s, and the biggest draw of any heel wrester of the 70s and early 80s.

Maybe the reason a DVD set documenting Race's amazing career is that Vince McMahon feels that the typical wrestling fan of today isn't familiar enough with just how legendary a wrestler Harley Race is and his vital importance to the history of pro wrestling. Yet that is exactly why a DVD set on Harley Race is needed as much as it is. It's criminal there isn't even one DVD collection covering Harley Race's career considering how great he was, how influential he was, and his place in the history of pro wrestling.
Maybe they just don't want to release a big expensive DVD when the number of people who buy them has plummeted. I'm sure they will give him a few specials on the WWE network though.

Maybe they just don't want to release a big expensive DVD when the number of people who buy them has plummeted. I'm sure they will give him a few specials on the WWE network though.

I didn't know the number of people who buy WWE DVD sets of legends has plummeted. May I ask you why you think that happened? I don't think the economy has gotten so bad that it would be the cause. Perhaps WWE released DVD sets of the most popular, biggest legends first, (Flair, Rhodes) and later on started releasing DVD sets of the guys who weren't in the first category.

Harley Race, however, is arguably the biggest legend they've never released a DVD set about. So if the reason for less people buying DVD sets of legends has decreased because they just got tired of buying DVD sets, or the novelty of owning DVD sets has worn off, I think that a Harley Race set would be immune to that because people who are big fans of Harley would be just as interested now as they would have been 10 years ago, In fact, I'd say that the only legend who could give a Harley Race collection a contest for highest sales would be Terry Funk. If WWE has any doubts about Harley having enough die hard fans to make releasing a DVD set worthwhile, they could always release a DVD compilation set of Harley Race, The Funk Brothers, and The Briscoe Brothers. That type of DVD set would be essential for any serious fan of classic NWA wrestling! Don't you agree?

I didn't know the number of people who buy WWE DVD sets of legends has plummeted. May I ask you why you think that happened? I don't think the economy has gotten so bad that it would be the cause. Perhaps WWE released DVD sets of the most popular, biggest legends first, (Flair, Rhodes) and later on started releasing DVD sets of the guys who weren't in the first category.

Harley Race, however, is arguably the biggest legend they've never released a DVD set about. So if the reason for less people buying DVD sets of legends has decreased because they just got tired of buying DVD sets, or the novelty of owning DVD sets has worn off, I think that a Harley Race set would be immune to that because people who are big fans of Harley would be just as interested now as they would have been 10 years ago, In fact, I'd say that the only legend who could give a Harley Race collection a contest for highest sales would be Terry Funk. If WWE has any doubts about Harley having enough die hard fans to make releasing a DVD set worthwhile, they could always release a DVD compilation set of Harley Race, The Funk Brothers, and The Briscoe Brothers. That type of DVD set would be essential for any serious fan of classic NWA wrestling! Don't you agree?
I haven't actually seen wwe DVD sales numbers. I more meant DVDs in general. The internet has hit them hard and they can't really compete with stuff like Netflix and Hulu so I'd imagine the same would be true of the network spelling the end for their own DVD market. Oh I'm sure it would have great content but I think they're worried about how best to get it out there to make themselves the most money and I'm not sure DVDs are the way anymore.

The Network should kill any DVD market that's left

I doubt that it's a case of the DVD market tanking. Let's be honest, Race was great and is a true legend and there are numerous legendary stories about him and his toughness. But Race was not a flashy and "exciting" personality. When you think of the legends that have DVD sets, Race doesn't compare to those guys when you take out the ring work from the equation(think Hogan, Flair, Savage, graham, etc)

Now as mentioned above, there isn't that much footage probably of some of his more legendary feuds or matches that aren't already on DVDs of other people.

With the amount of footage on the network, the need for these DVD collections is dwindling. I would like to see them do more legends round tables like the legends of wrestling but a little updated with different people telling stories about that person. Like the JBL roundtable of trips, austin, and HBK talking about Taker. They had great stories and it was all people that had a relationship and connection to him talking. That would be great to see more of in regards to some of these other legends.

They're all on the Network now, anyone that pays $15 for one of those DVD sets is a fucking moron.

Back