??? about scanning old photos

shonuf

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of photos to scan and i'm wondering what's the best way to go about this.

If I fill the area of my scanner with about 10 photos at a time, will i get the same quality as dong one at a time?

Can i just scan like ten and then crop them into single pictures?

Any programs or setting that anyone would recommend? etc. Just anything helpful to people that have done this. What's the best file format to save to?

edit.. i'm deliriously tired. So bear with me.

More photos on the scanner won't hurt the quality. The quality is determined by the dpi you choose in your scanning software. I would recommend something like 600dpi. It takes a little longer, but 300dpi is actually pretty limited.

If you scan ten at once, yes you can then crop them and save them as individual files.

If your only copy of a photo is something like a wallet-sized picture, or else it's a particularly important picture for some reason, you might want to go above 600dpi in that instance.

Take a picture of your picture with your phone.

I've actually done this a few times. Sometimes it's a bitch trying to get an angle so you don't get a glare off the photo.

Nothing for reproduction mind you. Just for a quick let me show you something.

I've gotten some amazing results(better than most home scanners) off a high end DSLR as long as you understand lighting angles(glare...etc).

Go through a local service. Check local Yelp reviews. Your time is better spent elsewhere.

Like here.

#sendnudes

I've gotten some amazing results(better than most home scanners) off a high end DSLR as long as you understand lighting angles(glare...etc).

I do need to do this for a late 1800's photos i have that are under glass and i can't take out. All I have is my phone. Hope they're not too bad.

no comment on the dong. No money for a service to do it. Hopefully my pictures of a young Shonuf dressed as Arnold in Commando come out okay.

This is why I like my old Microtek Scanmaker S 400. It has 9600 x 4800 resolution. It only works with XP so I keep an old desktop not connected to the internet to use with it and transfer files with a thumb drive or external hard drive.

It's a shit load of work.

Most scanners will let you scan different portions of the bed on the same run and make separate files. IE: 1 Scan run but 10 separate images. Scan at the highest resolution possible and save it in the highest quality possible in a lossless format.

Yes, there are diminishing gains and it doesn't offer a ton of value after a point but you don't want to do this over.

Once you're done doing that you'll entire the shit show world of trying to repair damage to the ones you particularly like. Sort of worth it though and I've learned a lot.

Freudian slip if I've ever seen one
240px-FreudianSlip.jpg

More photos on the scanner won't hurt the quality. The quality is determined by the dpi you choose in your scanning software. I would recommend something like 600dpi. It takes a little longer, but 300dpi is actually pretty limited.

If you scan ten at once, yes you can then crop them and save them as individual files.

If your only copy of a photo is something like a wallet-sized picture, or else it's a particularly important picture for some reason, you might want to go above 600dpi in that instance.
Yeh ditto this, if it's an important picture(s) definitely crank the dpi

I scanned some old pics that were really faded or tinted, and used the HP software that came with my printer and fiddled with contrast and looks way more vivid.

The pros can do a fantastic job with restoration.

I'm interested in some make shift stand for positioning your phone to take a high res photo of a photo or for scanning paperless documents.

Back