Ab wheel?

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Saw a Chris Duffin video where he says his athletes don’t train Abs using loaded spinal flexion exercises and rather use the ab wheel, plank and other bracing variations.

What I don’t get is in the video he talks about “releasing the shoulder” during the movement but if I do it it seems like I would just fall on my face. Maybe I’m too weak to do the exercise properly but I’m rigid from beginning to end and feel a ton of lat and tricep involvement while doing these.

Anyone else use the evil wheel?

Yes, I used to use it a lot. I got pretty good with it for a while and would do standing rollouts. I still do sets of 12-15 from the knees every week or so. At the time, I don't always feel it a lot in my core. I'm normally pretty sore the next day though.

I used to train it a lot, too.

I worked up to 5 reps with 50 kg and 2-3 reps standing.

Unweighted roll-outs is still one of my go to ab exercises although I barely feel it in my abs anymore (if I haven't done it for a few weeks I may get mild DOMS from it, though).

Bob Backlund, who is now 68 and in great shape, does a lot of ab wheel work and step-ups on a box as the basis of his training.

ab wheel is the shit .. extend on knee's and hold long as you can .. practice those for a while after you tax your arms and shoulders with an exercise of your choice.. do you do pull ups \ chin ups

ab wheel is the shit .. extend on knee's and hold long as you can .. practice those for a while after you tax your arms and shoulders with an exercise of your choice.. do you do pull ups \ chin ups
Yes

Getting better at these already. Was initially doing sets of 5, then 10, now sets of 12 and it’s been 2 weeks

2 sets/12-15 on Ab wheel, 2 sets/10-12 hanging leg raises, sometimes throw in 100x bicycle crunches. I do this at end of every strength training session, seems to have worked well for me.

6 pack here we come ...

you guys remember how it felt the first time you did these ? Felt like someone punched me in my bladder

I prefer sliding pads. More stable, smaller.

One can use one or two pads, but the same way I do while doing any lateral (ie barbell, pushups etc) exercise, consciously.

i was imagining two but on the extension especially if your standing would be difficult to keep unifom.. yes consciousness helps ..lol

one would be easier for beginners imo

Saw a Chris Duffin video where he says his athletes don’t train Abs using loaded spinal flexion exercises and rather use the ab wheel, plank and other bracing variations.

What I don’t get is in the video he talks about “releasing the shoulder” during the movement but if I do it it seems like I would just fall on my face. Maybe I’m too weak to do the exercise properly but I’m rigid from beginning to end and feel a ton of lat and tricep involvement while doing these.

Anyone else use the evil wheel?

The ab wheel is an amazing core exercise. Chris is right. Crunches and all that type of shit doesn't really do too much for your ab development. I've found that heavy squats and deadlifts will develop your ab muscles as much as you could want. Any accessory work you do should be limited and challenging. When you can do 50 of something or hold a position for more than 2 minutes, you should consider doing something harder for your core. Don't just bang out 100 crunches or 2 minutes of planks everyday and call it.

So apart from the obvious barbell squat and deadlift which should grow your core tremendously, I usually pick two of these each month to train and do them 3x week at the end of each workout.

Ab rollout- 3 sets of X (increase reps daily)
Leg raises - 3 sets of X (increase reps daily)
Turkish getups- 3 sets of X (increase reps daily)
Planks - 1 set max effort (increase weight daily)
Landmine press - 3 sets of 15 (increase weight daily)
Suitcase carry - 1 set max effort (increase weight daily)

I used to train it a lot, too.

I worked up to 5 reps with 50 kg and 2-3 reps standing.

Unweighted roll-outs is still one of my go to ab exercises although I barely feel it in my abs anymore (if I haven't done it for a few weeks I may get mild DOMS from it, though).
Exact same here. Only got to 50KG for 2 and 3 standing.

Having a history of back issues I can tell you with a certainty that ab rollouts, especially weighted, are a godsend

Back