Ab-ril: month four of the S&C weight loss and conditioning log

First official "Gaypril" weigh in - 208.2 lbs.

Semi-nude pics to follow...

Guess we need to get this log name updated. "Gaypril" or "Ab-ril"... hmmm... I wonder.

4/2/2012

BW: 215.6
<-- Whoa. Ate too much this weekend maybe??

CONDITIONING
Beach Run - half on soft sand, half on hard sand

31:25, 3.02 miles, 10:25/mile pace.

292283_3674237742853_1482236580_33181433_675757221_n.jpg

Gaypril, Gaypril, Gaypril, Gaypril, GAYPRIL.

I agree. Gaypril mofos.

4/3 - Bodyweight 212.0 this morning. All I had for dinner last night was beer, I think that helped.

Sorry guys... "Gaypril" is awesome, but I realized that it might be a bit offensive to some people (although my best gay friend would think it was hilarious).

Sorry guys... "Gaypril" is awesome, but I realized that it might be a bit offensive to some people (although my best gay friend would think it was hilarious).

But, But, Gay means happy ! And we're just happy with our progress.

I however do understand,Jaunty.

Coming up with the name for the thread is the only good thing I've contributed so far as I'm still only down 3-4 pounds. I suck at losing weight apparently.

Weighed in last Friday morning at 175, awesome. Trying not to gain to much this week on vacation. Ran a mile on the beach yesterday and did some shoulder work with bands and light weight ohh and planks. Calf's hurt like a bitch today.

Coming up with the name for the thread is the only good thing I've contributed so far as I'm still only down 3-4 pounds. I suck at losing weight apparently.

Alot of people will say to beginners that they should worry about strength first and not concern themselves with putting on fat, because gaining strength is hard and taking off the fat later is easy.

I disagree. I think they are both fairly hard, and for some people one will be easier than the other and this will vary from person to person.

I wish I had not let myself put on some chub while trying to get stronger and instead just been more patient with my strength gains. However, it was a valuable lesson in patience, being comfortable with your own abilities, and training as a life long pursuit that I think will stick with me alot better since I learned it the way I did.

I will say, most of the training lessons I have learned "on my own", have already been said by Wendler. Smart guy that Wendler.

Alot of people will say to beginners that they should worry about strength first and not concern themselves with putting on fat, because gaining strength is hard and taking off the fat later is easy.

I disagree. I think they are both fairly hard, and for some people one will be easier than the other and this will vary from person to person.

I wish I had not let myself put on some chub while trying to get stronger and instead just been more patient with my strength gains. However, it was a valuable lesson in patience, being comfortable with your own abilities, and training as a life long pursuit that I think will stick with me alot better since I learned it the way I did.

I will say, most of the training lessons I have learned "on my own", have already been said by Wendler. Smart guy that Wendler.

I did my own experiment with this a little over a year ago. I strength trained and ate a mostly clean diet, just with higher carbs and perhaps a higher overall caloric intake than I needed to gain strength. I'm working on gaining strength right now but keeping my body fat as low as is possible for a grad student who has a bit of a social life. I don't drink, but I have my limits on how much I'm willing to cut carbs to maintain a level of sanity. I'd say could probably cut out some of the grains I'm getting per day and lose even more fat and I'm not sure I'm willing to do so right now. That said, I'm currently as strong or stronger than I was when I was literally twenty pounds heavier (113 right now; got up to 132 at my highest during last year's bulking experiment, and a lot of it was apparently fat. By the way, I'm 5'2). I have never seen my abs as I'm seeing them right now. My current experiment has really taught me a lot about what my body needs in order to support the work I'm asking it to do--not nearly as many carbs as various people strangely advocate for far more sedentary individuals.

Staying lighter means being able to throw your carcass around more easily. I'm running as part of my cardio workout today (ugh, cardio) and I know it's easier on me to run at a lower weight than a higher one.

Last edited:
I did my own experiment with this a little over a year ago. I strength trained and ate a mostly clean diet, just with higher carbs and perhaps a higher overall caloric intake than I needed to gain strength. I'm working on gaining strength right now but keeping my body fat as low as is possible for a grad student who has a bit of a social life. I don't drink, but I have my limits on how much I'm willing to cut carbs to maintain a level of sanity. I'd say could probably cut out some of the grains I'm getting per day and lose even more fat and I'm not sure I'm willing to do so right now. That said, I'm currently as strong or stronger than I was when I was literally twenty pounds heavier (113 right now; got up to 132 at my highest during last year's bulking experiment, and a lot of it was apparently fat. By the way, I'm 5'2). I have never seen my abs as I'm seeing them right now. My current experiment has really taught me a lot about what my body needs in order to support the work I'm asking it to do--not nearly as many carbs as various people strangely advocate for far more sedentary individuals.

Staying lighter means being able to throw your carcass around more easily. I'm running as part of my cardio workout today (ugh, cardio) and I know it's easier on me to run at a lower weight than a higher one.

Word. Glad to hear that you are at a place/balance that you are more comfortable with.

How long have you been strength training?

I'm only one year into a more informed approach to strength training myself. There is so much to learn in the beginning. You start to think you have it figured out and then realize you are far from it. It is humbling.

Word. Glad to hear that you are at a place/balance that you are more comfortable with.

How long have you been strength training?

I'm only one year into a more informed approach to strength training myself. There is so much to learn in the beginning. You start to think you have it figured out and then realize you are far from it. It is humbling.

I suppose I've been training fairly seriously/slightly more informedly (can't believe informedly is a word) for about 18 months. I THINK I just updated my signature to carry my log link, but here it is in case I failed at that because I apparently am still failing at the mechanics of this message board: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/broken-rattles-tiny-bones-babyeaters-log-2050815/

And you're completely right; you just grow more and more humbled/desirous of better training strategy as you progress with this work, which is one of the reasons I really love it. And I'm actually quite fascinated by how manipulating diet changes body composition, so I admit to being invested in that aspect of strength training at a pretty high level too.

Actually, I believe I've seen you pop up in my log before as a commenter (thanks!) so posting that link was probably unnecessary. Or I've just seen you comment a lot on Keo's log. At any rate, strength training is such a slow process, and I feel like it's really typical for people to just decide to eat more than they really need to in order to achieve strength gains they're impatient for. I did it. It just doesn't really work that way, in my opinion. Eating enough is... enough. And you won't have to cut as much eventually.

Actually, I believe I've seen you pop up in my log before as a commenter (thanks!) so posting that link was probably unnecessary. Or I've just seen you comment a lot on Keo's log. At any rate, strength training is such a slow process, and I feel like it's really typical for people to just decide to eat more than they really need to in order to achieve strength gains they're impatient for. I did it. It just doesn't really work that way, in my opinion. Eating enough is... enough. And you won't have to cut as much eventually.

I agree. Of course it is dependent on the goals and what a person wants to achieve, but for the average person I agree.

Yeah I post in Keo's log semi regularly and have posted in your's once. I check both of them almost everyday though. I probably would post in your's more, but it gets tons of traffic as it is. Wonder why? :)

I agree. Of course it is dependent on the goals and what a person wants to achieve, but for the average person I agree.

Yeah I post in Keo's log semi regularly and have posted in your's once. I check both of them almost everyday though. I probably would post in your's more, but it gets tons of traffic as it is. Wonder why? :)

It's my BRAIN. That's what they're coming in there for. It's the brains.

It's my BRAIN. That's what they're coming in there for. It's the brains.

Absolutely. It is your keen intellect.

And the powerful lifting.

And the talk of artwork, and amusing gifs, and brewing romance.

It has nothing to do with this

1daqU2jL8UgcTnmPNi6HHWWefTTZe21556.jpeg

Or this

1bNAeS243A6nJUoA0rIsedoBbcuE790.jpeg

I joke, I keed. :)

Seriously though, it is impressive lifting.

3/28/12: 203 lbs.

4/3/12: 201 lbs.

4/4/12: 203 lbs.

That is not the right direction. But I am down 5 pounds in 2 weeks, which I will gladly accept.

Wednesday 4/5/12

Conditioning Workout # 31
2 mile run

Wanted to go for a distance run but didn't want to push it too far because I'm maxing out on deadlift tomorrow.

Back