Ab-ril: month four of the S&C weight loss and conditioning log

Wednesday 3/7/12

Conditioning Workout #21

DB Complex
20# DB's
4x8
Upright Rows - Snatch - Push Press - Good Morning - Squat
1 min rest between rounds

This was my second conditioning workout on Wednesday. The burpees were on lunch break and the complex at night. I really really enjoyed these. I have some dumbbells at my house so I was able to do both of these conditioning workouts from my home. I will probably try to do db complexes more often.

I wanna know how many of you are getting stronger while you're losing weight, that's the real question.

I hear a lot of oh you're going to lose a bunch of strength while losing weight yadda yadda. Unless you're an experienced lifter which very few of us are. Or if you have a crazy amount of weight to lose (>30lbs) which very few of us do, if you're nutrition is good, recovery methods are tuned in and training is on point there's no reason you shouldn't be getting stronger.

Most of the guys here seem to only want to lose 15-20lbs. There's no reason you shouldn't be actively working your ass off to get stronger at the same time. I'm not saying I've seen ppl in here saying this shit or making excuses etc. just sayin...

Not sure if this is a real question or a rant, but I'll play along anyways.

So far I have gone from a bodyweight of 204 to 181, with intentions of getting down to about 175 and reassessing from there. I will max out at the end of Juggernaut which will be the week of the 26th and I am honestly curious to see how it goes. If I had to guess right now I would say my bench and squat have stayed roughly the same, my deadlift has gone up, and my overhead press has gone down.

In the end, if I can lose almost 30 pounds of bodyweight while maintaining my bench and squat and adding 35-45 pounds to my deadlift in a period of 12 weeks, I will consider that quite a success (not to mention I have increased my work capacity and conditioning).

Not sure if this is a real question or a rant, but I'll play along anyways.

So far I have gone from a bodyweight of 204 to 181, with intentions of getting down to about 175 and reassessing from there. I will max out at the end of Juggernaut which will be the week of the 26th and I am honestly curious to see how it goes. If I had to guess right now I would say my bench and squat have stayed roughly the same, my deadlift has gone up, and my overhead press has gone down.

In the end, if I can lose almost 30 pounds of bodyweight while maintaining my bench and squat and adding 35-45 pounds to my deadlift in a period of 12 weeks, I will consider that quite a success (not to mention I have increased my work capacity and conditioning).

Exactly.

It was kind of a rant directed at no one in particular. I just don't want guys thinking "Oh I have to lose 20lbs so I'll expect to lose X amount of strength, but any more than that and I'll be worried." Bullshit work your ass off to get stronger no matter what. You're pressing strength may suffer, time and time again this is what is found to suffer the most when losing weight, so work it hard. You may not get stronger but that should always be the goal and what your strive to do.

Losing 30lbs of BW and maintaining strength and even increasing your DL is good shit and the type of effort I'm talking about.

Exactly.

It was kind of a rant directed at no one in particular. I just don't want guys thinking "Oh I have to lose 20lbs so I'll expect to lose X amount of strength, but any more than that and I'll be worried." Bullshit work your ass off to get stronger no matter what. You're pressing strength may suffer, time and time again this is what is found to suffer the most when losing weight, so work it hard. You may not get stronger but that should always be the goal and what your strive to do.

Losing 30lbs of BW and maintaining strength and even increasing your DL is good shit and the type of effort I'm talking about.

Gotcha. Yeah built in excuses can be bullshit. Go and work your ass off and do the right things and see what happens, you might surprise yourself.

Right now I'm really working on my work capacity so that when I start squatting 3x a week and benching 2x a week on your squat program I can still do some conditioning 2-3 times a week. I'm really starting to like how good hard conditioning makes me feel, both while doing it and on a day to day basis, and I don't want to stop doing it.

I wanna know how many of you are getting stronger while you're losing weight, that's the real question.

I hear a lot of oh you're going to lose a bunch of strength while losing weight yadda yadda. Unless you're an experienced lifter which very few of us are. Or if you have a crazy amount of weight to lose (>30lbs) which very few of us do, if you're nutrition is good, recovery methods are tuned in and training is on point there's no reason you shouldn't be getting stronger.

Most of the guys here seem to only want to lose 15-20lbs. There's no reason you shouldn't be actively working your ass off to get stronger at the same time. I'm not saying I've seen ppl in here saying this shit or making excuses etc. just sayin...

My strength is way down, but it's not because of conditioning, it's because I slacked off for a while in late December and early January, and then as soon as I got my shit together I tore my rotator cuff. But I gained strength last year, around May to November while losing weight. As you say, it's definitely possible, the more so the less advanced you are.

Edit- 10/10 for the "ranting about something that has never actually been said here" though. Reminiscent of a young Crokillah.

Edit- 10/10 for the "ranting about something that has never actually been said here" though. Reminiscent of a young Crokillah.

I don't really give a shit. I see this kind of stuff posted here and elsewhere so I don't want guys automatically accepting they're going to lose strength because that's the easy way out.

If you go into training assuming you probably lost some strength, guess what, you probably will.

I don't really give a shit. I see this kind of stuff posted here and elsewhere so I don't want guys automatically accepting they're going to lose strength because that's the easy way out.

It's a decent point, but it's not necessary to be obnoxious about it. This is a fun thread where we support and encourage each other. And you have to be coach, leader or manager-type in order to be able to say "I don't want guys doing this" or "I don't want guys doing that". And you are none of those things here.

Incline walk- 46mins/5km, warmed up to 12% incline/6.4kmph

Pretty good sweat on. As I said in my log, I think I've done 12 of these now, which means that my average is over four a week. Very happy with that.

My week is going well so far, been on the elliptical twice, walked 4 miles another day, my eating has been good too

last 5 days have been

mon: -470 cals
tues: -1305 cals
wed: -662 cals
thurs: -238 cals
fri: -900 cals

week so far = -3575 cals

and i still have 2 days to go

Saturday 3/10/12 Weekly Weigh In - 188.0

Bodyweight has gone from 204 --->195.2 --->191.8 --->192.4 --->189.4 ---> 188.2 --->185.6 --->184.8 --->185.2 --->181.6 --->188.0

I had a big setback this week. I allowed stress to affect my diet in a really negative way. I'll just have to get back to doing the right things from this point on.

Sunday 3/11/12

Conditioning Workout #22

Sledge Hammer Swings

Not sure how many, but is was alot. This was actually done because some concrete needed busting up and taken off around my house. Trust me though, it was a conditioning workout. I finished about half of it, so this will be done again probably next weekend.

Slipped a little on the diet this weekend, ended up at "zero" for the past 2 days

So that leaves me at -3500 calories for the week

Feel skinnier, got my inzer belt into one smaller of a hole, so that's good

Monday 3/12/12

Conditioning Workout #23

Grappling
4 rounds
2 min work
1 min rest

3's Wave
Intensification Phase

Squat
45x5
95x4
135x3
185x2
225x1
245x1
275x1
290x3
290x3
290x3
290x3
290x3

Apparently there is a group of college guys that do some mma training at the gym I go to. Just happened to stumble upon them tonight on my way to do squats. Both squat racks were taken, so I went to the room they were in and joined in. Had a good time, but it made the squats a hell of alot harder. I was proud of myself just for getting through the 290x5x3, because it was tough after the grappling.

Slipped a little on the diet this weekend, ended up at "zero" for the past 2 days

So that leaves me at -3500 calories for the week

Feel skinnier, got my inzer belt into one smaller of a hole, so that's good

Sounds like you're kicking ass man. Keep it up.

Sounds like you're kicking ass man. Keep it up.

Thanks man!

Finally weighed myself this morning, down to 229.6, that's about 10 pounds down in the last month, have 5.5 weeks left to lose the other 9.6, piece o cake

Tuesday 3/13/12

3's Wave
Intensification Phase

Bench
45x5
95x5
135x3
185x1
215x1
230x3
230x3
230x3
230x3
230x? AMAP (worst spotter ever, he decided to start helping me after rep 4 even though i didn't need his help, did three more with his help before I felt really silly and stopped)

Rope Pushdowns
about 7 sets of 10

DB Curls
about 5 sets of 10

Conditioning Workout #24

Incline Treadmill Sprints
20 sprints
15 sec sprint
45 sec rest
9.0 mph @ 6.0 incline

Followed up sprints with a mix of 6.0 jogging with no incline, and 3.5 walking with 3.5 incline for ten minutes.

Conditioning

1. Incline walk: 60mins/approx. 6km, work up to 6.6kmph/13% with 5 min warmdown
2. Heavy bag: 3 rounds of 3 mins with 45 second break

The incline walk was the main thing, the bag work was mainly for fun, although also a little test of my shoulder.

I just stumbled across this thread...I started my new diet & conditioning in March, so I'd like to start logging in here as well. In theory my target weight is 202, which will drop me a weight class for Jiu-jitsu. But if I don't make it all the way to 202, no big deal, just really want to improve my conditioning & appearance for the summer.

For my diet, I'm following the guidelines in Dave Tate's "Stronger 3" ebook. Cycling carbs & tracking macronutrients. I get 2 High-Carb days a week, 2 Medium Days & 3 Low Carb Days. For the month of March, I'm not tracking the diet 100% accurately, I'm just sort of swagging it. I'll tighten it up in April.

For conditioning, I'm also following the guidelines in "Stronger 3". Since I haven't been doing any conditioning, I'm building up slowly:

Week of 3/5: 2x20 min LSD
Week of 3/12: 2x20 min LSD + 1 HIIT Session
Week of 3/19: 2x25 LSD + 2 HIIT Sessions
Week of 3/26: 2x25 LSD + 2 HIIT Sessions
Week of 4/2: 2x30 LSD + 2 HIIT Sessions

In addition to this, I'm sticking with my normal lifting 4 days a week, and reducing my rest periods between sets, especially on assistance work. I also try to get to Jiu-jitsu 2-3 days a week.

To catch up with the program here, here's my weight history for March:

March 1: 220.1
March 5: 218.6
March 12: 215.8

And today I weighed in at 214.6.

Very happy with the way the program is progressing so far!

I just stumbled across this thread...

You heard about Gaypril and LitteringAnd's plan to win the whole thread by posting nudes, and you figure you're going to give him a run for his money, right? As long as you remember, what happens in Gaypril stays in Gaypril.

Back