A Year Later: Seattle Min. Wage Increases =/= Price Hikes

You're using one city to determine the validity of an economic policy?

I would suggest taking an economics 101 course.

Democrats: Ideas so good, they are mandatory...for everyone

Can anyone name a time when wages were increased nationwide that it caused economic catastrophe

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...n-minimum-wage-job-losses-20170611-story.html

Meanwhile in San Diego, Rent, Ultities, and Homelessness are all skyrocketing with the full 'fight' for $15 yet to have taken place. Doesn't help that left wing environmental wackos are also hurting the cities ability to build new housing

Funny that article talks about restaurants and at the end touches on that fact that fast food places are replacing more and more workers with automation. That is happening everywhere regardless of the minimum wage.

Prices are governed by supply and demand, If some fast food place could sell a burger for more $$ they would regardless of how much/little they pay their employees.

The only thing higher wages affect is the viability of a business, but frankly why would we want businesses to exist in our community if we end up having to support their employees with our tax dollars?

Can you explain how you have come to this conclusion?
Common sense. Nationwide the price of creating and delivering goods would increase, so would the cost to the consumer.

Can anyone name a time when wages were increased nationwide that it caused economic catastrophe
No, because generally they are done more conservatively. 50 cents here, 25 cents there. Not a sudden increase of 50%.

Common sense. Nationwide the price of creating and delivering goods would increase, so would the cost to the consumer.

Appeals to common sense are typically made by people who lack education, experience, and expertise.

Do you have any evidence to suggest your opinion is correct?

https://www.fastcompany.com/3059118...s-new-minimum-wage-hasnt-raised-retail-prices

Guess we'll have to add a living wage to the list of things that would kill Business that didn't.

A_Brief_History_of_Corporate_Whining.png

Business Insider: Washington’s economy ranks No. 1 in the nation
By Joel Connelly on January 14, 2016 at 12:59
Washington has the top-ranked state economy, according to a ranking by Business Insider.

Business Insider did a worst-to-first ranking, with West Virginia and New Mexico at the bottom and Washington state and Washington, D.C., topping the chart.The Washington state ranking was decorated with the picture of an orca, the state’s marine mammal, while West Virginia was represented by a sleeping black bear, its state mammal.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepo...washingtons-economy-ranks-no-1-in-the-nation/

Price increases are just one of ways businesses can compensate. Single variable analysis is a gross oversimplification. You should ask yourself what the effect was on employment before you gloat.
Seattle has an unemployment rate of 3%, down from 8% five years ago. It's not clear this hurt employment at all.

You're using one city to determine the validity of an economic policy?

I would suggest taking an economics 101 course.

Washington state also has the highest MW rate in the country for a state.

LOL.

Minimum wage is inflationary

Doesn't matter because inflation is set through banking policy, or to be more exact banking fraud.

If this wasn't true, then we would have seen inflation after printing trillions of dollars.

January 2018. I thought we're still in 2017. Wait til 2018 when the wage is at 15 an hour and we'll talk. I was actually in Seatle recently and things there are crazy expensive.

They also don't have an income tax. SF minimum wage will be 15 an hour also but with income tax. I've seen the prices and Seatle prices are comparable to SF prices but Seattle again doesn't have income taxes. So Seattle makes more money than SF employees do but Seattle housing is much cheaper than SF. Other than housing, everything else is practically the same price as SF.

January 2018. I thought we're still in 2017. Wait til 2018 when the wage is at 15 an hour and we'll talk. I was actually in Seatle recently and things there are crazy expensive.

They also don't have an income tax. SF minimum wage will be 15 an hour also but with income tax. I've seen the prices and Seatle prices are comparable to SF prices but Seattle again doesn't have income taxes. So Seattle makes more money than SF employees do but Seattle housing is much cheaper than SF. Other than housing, everything else is practically the same price as SF.

real estate is no where near SF prices.. prices are skyrocketing though.. lot of foreign investments paying straight cash

We don't have an income tax, because we have the highest sales tax in the country.

Our tax rates are very high in Washington state. Our cost of living is high, but that has more to do with housing, and more people coming here because we have jobs.

To be honest though, being the number 1 economy in the U.S. by state, is kind of like being the shiny'ist piece of shit in the yard.

I have a family member, who is college educated, with 30 years of showing up to work everyday, on time, that hasn't been able to find anything but temp work for 3 years now.

Seattle is fucked regardless. Pricing every day people out of the city with property prices artificially risen, have a giant homeless problem with tent cities everywhere, and make yourself a sanctuary city.

Back