A Year Later: Seattle Min. Wage Increases =/= Price Hikes

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
More than a year after a new minimum wage took effect in Seattle–$12.50 an hour now for small employers, increasing to $15 an hour by January 2018–prices at most stores haven’t gone up.

A new report, researchers from the University of Washington presented data that showed “little or no evidence” of price increases in most sectors. Before the minimum wage law took effect, most retailers said they would have to charge more–and most low-wage workers were worried that they would have to spend more for necessities. So far, that hasn’t happened.

The researchers also checked the prices of things like rent and gas, because they wanted to understand how the law might affect the biggest expenses for low-income families. Those didn’t change either–not a surprising finding, since apartments and gas stations don’t rely on much labor.

The steady prices in the retail sector were more unexpected. “We looked in grocery stores, drugstores, and other types of retail outlets–we were focusing once again on places where your middle class or low-income families would be more likely to shop,” says Jacob Vigdor, a public policy professor at the University of Washington. “The fact that we didn’t find very many price increases in those types of outlets was a little bit more surprising to us.”

https://www.fastcompany.com/3059118...s-new-minimum-wage-hasnt-raised-retail-prices

Guess we'll have to add a living wage to the list of things that would kill Business that didn't.

A_Brief_History_of_Corporate_Whining.png

Last edited:
That's honestly great for that city. However to dictate it to everyone isn't fair as not every local economy is in a position to achieve that same result.

Yet trickle down has been pushed for decades and has never led to prosperity at large. In fact it ruined Kansas.

thats why seattle should do what they need to do, and some rural town in idaho should do what they need to do.

You're using one city to determine the validity of an economic policy?

I would suggest taking an economics 101 course.

I'm currently in Myanmar. Nearly every business here has like 5x as many employees as an equivalent U.S. business has. They have more employees than customers lol. I don't know the laws of Myanmar, but labor must be cheap as hell. Businesses can employ many more people. I was at a pizza hut here and they had like 12 people up front. The restaurant was empty. 12 people just standing around. Who knows how many in back.

I'm not saying this is necessarily good. But its something to recognize and ponder. I know what i wrote here is obvious, but it's sort of striking to see the labour force here.

Last edited:
You're using one city to determine the validity of an economic policy?

I would suggest taking an economics 101 course.
Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm using one city to disprove an economic idea, not to prove one.

Seattle proves that raising minimum wage doesn't necessarily lead to price increases.

Just like dozens of examples from history prove that slashing taxes for the rich don't necessarily create economic growth or greater wages.

In general, I think we'd be a lot better off if we applied the scientific method to economics rather than listening to policy wonks from partisan think tanks who tell us how things should impact the economy.

Unsurprised.

Fucking laughable to try and compete with the 3rd world on low wages.

If it can be done OS it is, if it needs to be done locally the business should be able to support the full cost of their employees and not outsource their support to tax payer funded welfare.

Nationwide wage hikes would lead to price hikes.

Unsurprised.

Fucking laughable to try and compete with the 3rd world on low wages.

If it can be done OS it is, if it needs to be done locally the business should be able to support the full cost of their employees and not outsource their support to tax payer funded welfare.
If I were to draft a piece of legislation it would be called the "Small Businesses Survival Act" and it would give the municipalities and states the right to establish a local minimum wage for businesses who have under X employees.

But it would establish a $15 national minimum wage (with increases tied to cost of living) that applies to national and trans-national businesses. Walmart and McDonald's can pony up so their employees don't need food stamps anymore.

Last edited:
i like how the city is now trying to pass a city income tax... they just passed a soda tax.. fucking idiots running the city..

this shit better not spread to the eastside

I think the main issue with minimum wage is rise in unemployment not prices.

That being said, i dont support minimum wage because it doesnt helps those that cant work, i would rather have free education and healthcare before minimum wage.

If I were to draft a piece of legislation it would be called the "Small Businesses Survival Act" and it would give the municipalities and states the right to establish a local minimum wage for businesses who have under X employees.

But it would establish a $15 national minimum wage (with increases tied to cost of living) that applies to national and trans-state businesses. Walmart and McDonald's can pony up so their employees don't need food stamps anymore.

If a business can't support the lives of their employees it deserves to die. Creative destruction is the corner stone of capitalism.

Why keep inefficient business running when the logical result is they reduce the viability of otherwise sustainable business.

I think the main issue with minimum wage is rise in unemployment not prices.

That being said, i dont support minimum wage because it doesnt helps those that cant work, i would rather have free education and healthcare before minimum wage.

Considering you (I believe) once derisively referred to me as "comrade," I am somewhat surprised to see you choose Marx over Keynes.

Considering you (I believe) once derisively referred to me as "comrade," I am somewhat surprised to see you choose Marx over Keynes.

Free education and healthcare is not exclusive of marxist ideology.

Minimum wage would be logical in a world where everyone had a job, not in a world where people can be easily replaced by machines.

Minimum wage hiking would only increase automation and rig the market in favor of industries that require less labor and are better at exploiting people.

Back