A Tribute to Alice In Chains

What is your favorite Alice In Chains song of all time, and how do you think William DuVall measuers up in Layne Staley's shoes.

IMO William is just there to help Jerry I would really like it if he would take the lead more like on Last of my kind but in this version of AIC Jerry is the man. I really really like that AIC is around agian but it just seems there is no difference between Black gives way to Blue / The Devil put dinosaurs here and Degradation Trip Volumes 1 and 2 not that there anything wrong with that I just would like for the guy that replaced Layne would have a bigger roll then being Jerrys' backup.
as for favorite song God Am

IMO William is just there to help Jerry I would really like it if he would take the lead more like on Last of my kind but in this version of AIC Jerry is the man. I really really like that AIC is around agian but it just seems there is no difference between Black gives way to Blue / The Devil put dinosaurs here and Degradation Trip Volumes 1 and 2 not that there anything wrong with that I just would like for the guy that replaced Layne would have a bigger roll then being Jerrys' backup.
as for favorite song God Am
William Duvall does fill Layne's spot when they sing the Layne era songs...

Last edited:
Can't pick a favorite as different songs allow for different moods. Don't Follow is so peaceful, Frogs is creepy, Am I Inside is dark and emotional, Would? is like a good shout, Got Me Wrong is a good driving song, Nutshell Unplugged is calming and somber, etc.

DuVall is good, but Jerry dominates the songs on the albums, not sure about the live stuff. He's no Layne, but then again who is?

I saw this Alice in Chains tribute band called "Aces in Chains." I thought the lead singer did a very good Layne Staley mimic, and the band overall was solid. Good stuff.

Last edited:
A huge influence in my playing,in my life really.Every song to me is solid depending on mood,time etc.
Can’t think of a song I don’t like with Staley or DuVal.Just one of those bands that just vibes with me more than many others.

Pretty much the only singer who can pull off Layne's vocal vibrato in every sung texture...........especially the hardest yells.

Does a good Bon Scott covering "ride on" by AC/DC as well.

Layne played some of the guitar on most of the albums.

7c6089cc1bbff8629ef0417ce01645a0--jerry-cantrell-layne-staley.jpg

Last edited:
Angry chair
Again
Heaven beside you
Damn that river
What the hell have I
So many good songs

As both an AIC and The Eagles fan, I strongly suspect that AIC was influenced by The Eagles.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-eagles.3038985/page-2

Jerry Cantrell said he grew up on Country music. Layne Staley was a drummer before he started singing (Don Henley). Also listen to the song Nutshell and Witchy Woman, Layne uses the same notes Henley does when they hit the falsetto.

As both an AIC and The Eagles fan, I strongly suspect that AIC was influenced by The Eagles.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-eagles.3038985/page-2

Jerry Cantrell said he grew up on Country music. Layne Staley was a drummer before he started singing (Don Henley). Also listen to the song Nutshell and Witchy Woman, Layne uses the same notes Henley does when they hit the falsetto.

It's certainly possible. Those are two very different sounding bands though.

Favourite is probably Would? but there's a lot. Finally saw them a few years ago with Duval, was great but of course no Layne, amazing voice. As a metal head they resonated the most for me from the Seattle scene for sure.

Back