A Sumo idea to promote more exciting fights?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by bananaeyes, Mar 19, 2018.

1. bananaeyes US Sumo Wrestler

bananaeyes
    Every once in awhile, people try and offer ideas to make fights more exciting and prevent "safe" fighters.

Fight of the night/Performance of the night helps, but its almost like a lottery that you will actually get it sometimes.

In sumo wrestling, instead of having one sponsor for the event, companies sponsor individual matches. The more popular of a wrestler you are, the more sponsors for the match. "This fight is brought to you by." Then the banners are shown in the ring as the fighters prepare for their match. Fighters would have a bit more control over their careers. Exciting fighters garner more interest and get more sponsors. If you are a snoozer, you will just not get as much sponsorship money opportunity. Just winning isn't enough.

This also promotes better matchmaking, because sponsors go for matches that people want to see, not just individuals.

Of course they get base pay, but then it is a winner take all affair for the sponsorship money. So even if you are popular, an up and comer can take it from you. They actually hand you a brick of envelopes filled with money in the ring as they announce you as a winner. It is pretty bad ass. (half of the money goes to the organization, half to the winner)

This will likely never happen, but just wondering what you guys think if something like this were to be instituted. Do you think it would make for more exciting fights, or cause more problems?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Grijswaarde Black Belt

Grijswaarde
    So you want even more money fights, more Conor bullshit and less legit ranked fights?

<{vega}>

3. IDGETKTFO Red Belt

IDGETKTFO
    They just need to bring back this
    <Deported1>

4. bananaeyes US Sumo Wrestler

bananaeyes
    They are all money fights my man. It is prize fighting. It is just an alternative way to distribute the money.

I want exciting fights. And the money you get is based on how exciting a fighter you are based on popular opinion.

This promotes putting on fights that people want to see, and promotes fighters gaining a reputation of being exciting.

Why would I care what numbers the UFC puts next to people's names, especially when there is no objective system for how rankings are decided?

In regards to Mcgregor, although I am not a fan, he was backing up what he said, was exciting, and fighting a lot. Letting him box, giving him individual press conferences, and giving him a separate set of rules that don't apply to everyone else seems to be the problem in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Typrune Goatley and Ken Fresno like this.
  5. Grijswaarde Black Belt

Grijswaarde
    So yes?

6. TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

TheRassler
    cut all the safe wrasslers and we will prevent boring fights from happening.

bananaeyes likes this.
  7. BRaVo cHoKe Purple Belt

BRaVo cHoKe
    Good in theory, but in reality it was just a tool for promoters to pay fighters less money.

DarkfireBoy and bananaeyes like this.
  8. bananaeyes US Sumo Wrestler

bananaeyes
    Is this actually how you talk?

This = Mcgregor

Gotcha

It works in another sport just fine and has for awhile. You don't have to agree but you seem rather simplistic in your approach. Nice talking to you

Egnuldt likes this.
  9. Azderiel Green Belt

Azderiel
    Haven't you just described everything people hate about boxing?

bananaeyes likes this.
  10. Get these Hands Filthy Animal since '08

Get these Hands
    Has anyone actually EVER bought anything that the fighters used to have as sponsors?
    When's the last time you got your rubbers from "Condom Depot" or switched your tires over to "Toyo tires".
    Unless you're a 16 year old and don't have a go to beer already, you're not switching to Modelo.

11. Get these Hands Filthy Animal since '08

Get these Hands
    An easy fix, just give the penalized money to the opponent.

BRaVo cHoKe and bananaeyes like this.
  12. bananaeyes US Sumo Wrestler

bananaeyes
    Possibly, except incentivising performance in a different way.
    If say each boxer was given a base pay, and the winner would then get the lion's share of the sponsorship money and the other gets nothing. One could argue that it would actually lead to a safer fighter, but they would not be able to get to that position without gaining a following, typically from putting on good matches.

13. 209 Life FACE THE PAIN!!!

209 Life
    According to skip bayless, nate diaz has a sumo base

14. bananaeyes US Sumo Wrestler

bananaeyes
    Well ya, the idea of advertising is a whole different conversation. I never click on sponsored Google links, but I have many friends that in marketing at Google and they sell a shit ton of ads to companies backed by metrics, so it must be useful enough for people to pay for it.

15. Ken Fresno ALL the belts

Ken Fresno
    I don't know about this sumo system, but I agree with the sentiment that there should be transparency in performance-based bonuses. Like, if I guy is getting 50k to show, and 50k more to win, why not disclose that? I mean, I get that you can find the info by researching on Sherdog, but why not put it in a graphic for the fans? I feel like knowing that a guy stands to double his money would only make things more interesting.

This is the direction i think sports will eventually have to go to maintain public interest. I don't think the prestige of any title is going to stand the test of time in our society. Things like All-Star games are basically already dead at this point. And they already tried announcing 100k to all the winners of the NBA All-Star game. Not enough money relative to their salaries for anyone to care, but the sentiment is there.

Imagine Tony and Khabib have separate contracts negotiated that dictate amounts they will get based on showing up, winning/losing, PPV points. And nobody but a few of us will know any of those numbers.

Now imagine they both get 500k to show, and the winner gets another 500k, and they make that known to everyone. How is that not more interesting?

Typrune Goatley likes this.
  16. bananaeyes US Sumo Wrestler

bananaeyes
    I like this

17. Megatronlee Black Belt

Megatronlee
    Good

bananaeyes likes this.
  18. rurouni Black Belt

rurouni
    DIDN't READ
    [​IMG]

Axefan4life and bananaeyes like this.
  19. bananaeyes US Sumo Wrestler

bananaeyes
    I don't mind having a disclosed base pay and win bonus. And I agree with you that belts really don't freaking matter, to most any. I am just thinking if they had more stake in being exciting and dynamic instead of trying to point fight, it might increase the amount of entertaining matches.

I don't enjoy watching professional poker. Many like watching the strategy, but I think to many, its the stakes involved. Having that element in a fight would make it more fun in my opinion. In sumo, when an underdog beats a higher ranked person and literally takes money out of his pocket in the ring, the crowd goes wild. I think it is fun.

20. bananaeyes US Sumo Wrestler

bananaeyes
    Is it really that long? lol