A Studio Ghibli 'Legend of Zelda' would be epic.

I think the biggest problem is Nintendo is meticulous about how their IP's are handled. Miyazaki doesn't plan things out, he's done the stories as they go through the animation and needs creative freedom throughout because he makes major changes whenever he feels like it. I agree a collaboration would be great, but it would be a nightmare for Nintendo and Ghibli themselves to actually make. There's probably studios that can nail the aesthetics though wouldn't mind the creative constraint.

I read somewhere that the art style of BoTW was inspired by Mononokes aesthetic, from the soft lush colors to the rolling plains.

It wouldn't have to be an R rating. Many of Mizayakis film have action and violence without being gratuitous. Considering Link is mostly fighting monsters in fantasy setting it wouldn't be him hacking soldiers arms and limbs off. Imo the action would just be the icing on the cake. The real wonder would be seeing the world of LoZ and it's crazy characters come to life through the eyes of Mizayaki.

Well you said this " I was really surprised at the brutality of the battles. Everything in this movie would have translated perfectly to a Legend of Zelda adventure film. " and then posted a gif of a decapitation.

Even if they are monsters or beasts they cant really have things be very graphic or brutal.

Seems to me Nintendo copied Princess Mononoke for Breath of the Wild, or were inspired by it. Link has never worn blue before as his main gear. The art style looks very Ghibli like.

Again as I said a lot of the story with the ancient history, the buried robots and there lasers, the look of the shrines, etc is lifted from Laputa Castle In The Sky.

Ghibli or Madhouse.

Also, my wife laughed at me when I told her I might get a Totoro tattoo.
I think something like this would be much much cooler.

maxresdefault.jpg

I would recommend the Nausicaa manga very strongly, all drawn by him.

Indeed if Ghilbi wanted to adapted a fantasy that's what I'd like to see them do, the original film only covers a simplified version of the very early stages of the manga which becomes far more complex and IMHO far deeper as it advances.

I loved Nausicaa. I didn't realize it was based off a manga though

I loved Nausicaa. I didn't realize it was based off a manga though

The film is basically a simplified version of the early stages of the manga, Miyzaki worked on it inbetween other projects all the way up to 1995.

Very different much wider ranging story involving a war between the Tolmekians(who the valley of the wind are vassels of) and the Dorlock Empire, the tone becomes much more like Princess Mononoke and almost does a flip on the message of the early stages. Princess Kushana and Kurotowa especially become vastly more rounded characters.

Because video game movies are almost always bad and Nintendo learnt their lesson from Super Mario Bros.

Wreck Ralph
Fast and the Furious
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Final Fantasy

were all decent to good.

Wreck Ralph
Fast and the Furious
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Final Fantasy

were all decent to good.
Wreck it Ralph is pretty good but it's basically a animated cartoon with video game cameos. All the rest of those I'd say were ok to meh. FF was the biggest let down in history.

Now Ready Player One that's how a video game movie should be made.

Wreck it Ralph is pretty good but it's basically a animated cartoon with video game cameos. All the rest of those I'd say were ok to meh. FF was the biggest let down in history.

Now Ready Player One that's how a video game movie should be made.

Ready Player One wasn't even a movie.

No offense to Haku, but I'd rather get a Radish god tattoo.
NqhbGjC.jpg
If I were going for something funny I'd go with something like this lol Gimme gimme gimme

images

Studio Ghibli could do a perfect Ico trilogy

Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
The Last Guardian

They got the perfect style for it

Studio Ghibli could do a perfect Ico trilogy

Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
The Last Guardian

They got the perfect style for it

Yeah definitely was thinking Shadow of Colossus while watching PM also.

If done right, a Zelda cartoon would be good.

I wouldn't mind a Dragon Quest Akira Toriyama cartoon.

It'd have to be two movies, one with young Link, one with adult/teenage Link.
It could be a 26 episode series featuring teen Link. Then the OVAs would have chibi Link running around smashing pots.

The film is basically a simplified version of the early stages of the manga, Miyzaki worked on it inbetween other projects all the way up to 1995.

Very different much wider ranging story involving a war between the Tolmekians(who the valley of the wind are vassels of) and the Dorlock Empire, the tone becomes much more like Princess Mononoke and almost does a flip on the message of the early stages. Princess Kushana and Kurotowa especially become vastly more rounded characters.

On the same subject I'm actually supprised Hollywood has never sniffed around making a live action Nausicaa given that its always searching for new franchises, I suspect you could get at least a trilogy out of the manga and really you've already got it storyboarded for you making for a much easier adaptation than something like Dune which is bares more than a little similarity with. Plus of course its existing material that already has a female lead although I spose you might have to deal with Okatu backlash.

Live action casting suggestions? Nausicaa herself would I spose need to be someone pretty young and likely not that well known, maybe Mark Hamil as Yupa? showed a lot of potential in that role however Last Jedi misused him, I'm guessing half of the established actresses in Hollywood would be after Kushana, basically someone who can play a cold bitch as well.

I'd prefer a live action Zelda starring Shia Lebouf as Link.

On the same subject I'm actually supprised Hollywood has never sniffed around making a live action Nausicaa given that its always searching for new franchises, I suspect you could get at least a trilogy out of the manga and really you've already got it storyboarded for you making for a much easier adaptation than something like Dune which is bares more than a little similarity with. Plus of course its existing material that already has a female lead although I spose you might have to deal with Okatu backlash.

Live action casting suggestions? Nausicaa herself would I spose need to be someone pretty young and likely not that well known, maybe Mark Hamil as Yupa? showed a lot of potential in that role however Last Jedi misused him, I'm guessing half of the established actresses in Hollywood would be after Kushana, basically someone who can play a cold bitch as well.

Ridley, Besson or Villeneuve.

Back