A Studio Ghibli 'Legend of Zelda' would be epic.

breadfighter

Toiling in underground sugar caves
@purple
Reaction score
I just finished watching Princess Mononoke for the first time, and I couldn't help thinking how perfect Hayao Mizayakis style would be for a Zelda animated movie. I went into PM thinking it was going to be childish along the lines of Totoro and other Ghibli films, but the main character is shooting heads and arms off with his bow and arrow while traversing across plains and valleys. I was really surprised at the brutality of the battles. Everything in this movie would have translated perfectly to a Legend of Zelda adventure film. From Mizayakis sense of scale in his environments, weather elements, and characters to his beautiful fight scenes.

HzUPjuV.gif

normal_alttp-link-bow.png

I don't know why Nintendo and Ghibli haven't collaborated yet. It's a travesty really.

Last edited:
I don't know why Nintendo and Ghibli haven't collaborated yet. It's a travesty really.

Because video game movies are almost always bad and Nintendo learnt their lesson from Super Mario Bros.

Because video game movies are almost always bad and Nintendo learnt their lesson from Super Mario Bros.

I think this only applies to live action renditions. With the minds behind Nintendo and Ghibli, i'm almost certain they could come up with an animated masterpiece. It probably does have something to do with sorting out the rights to even get it made.

Wouldn't we rather have them focus their efforts on the next game?

Wouldn't we rather have them focus their efforts on the next game?

Not me. I haven't played any of the new gen Nintendo games. I'd rather have the movie. Although I was close to buying a switch just for BoTW. Which I didn't do. But I watch my friends play it and that's what kind of inspired this thread.

Might be cool but I'd rather just play the game tbh

It's a good idea.
Zelda has great potential for an animation. I am surprised that there really hasn't been any big animation done for any of the Nintendo stuff.

It's a good idea.
Zelda has great potential for an animation. I am surprised that there really hasn't been any big animation done for any of the Nintendo stuff.

I can understand any of the other Nintendo properties like Donkey Kong and Mario. But Zelda is basically tailor made for an animated film. It has the lore, characters, creatures and environments. Even a gritty Metroid one would be cool.

Ghibli or Madhouse.

Also, my wife laughed at me when I told her I might get a Totoro tattoo.

Ghibli or Madhouse.

Also, my wife laughed at me when I told her I might get a Totoro tattoo.

No shame in that. Mizayaki is a master illustrator who's art style many have tried to replicate. There's a reason for that, it's because the stuff he draws is beautiful.

No shame in that. Mizayaki is a master illustrator who's art style many have tried to replicate. There's a reason for that, it's because the stuff he draws is beautiful.

The closest mainstream artist that I could compare to Miyazaki would be Suzuki of The Seven Deadly Sins. Rounded, less jagged features and lush background art.

I would recommend the Nausicaa manga very strongly, all drawn by him.

Indeed if Ghilbi wanted to adapted a fantasy that's what I'd like to see them do, the original film only covers a simplified version of the very early stages of the manga which becomes far more complex and IMHO far deeper as it advances.

It'd have to be two movies, one with young Link, one with adult/teenage Link.

Really though part of why the Zelda series of games has worked is that they don't really have much of a set background, you take the basic, young hero saving pincess from evil villain and rework it with a different setting and plot each time.

I would point out that Breath of the Wild clearly took a lot from Castle in The Sky as well.

Really though part of why the Zelda series of games has worked is that they don't really have much of a set background, you take the basic, young hero saving pincess from evil villain and rework it with a different setting and plot each time.

I would point out that Breath of the Wild clearly took a lot from Castle in The Sky as well.
La PUTA!

Wouldnt it be too "artsy" to really please the fans?

The other thing its I doubt they will make it R, Nintendo is not really hardcore like PS or X-box wit h the violence even with third party games, dount they will do it with one of their flagship characthers.

Seems to me Nintendo copied Princess Mononoke for Breath of the Wild, or were inspired by it. Link has never worn blue before as his main gear. The art style looks very Ghibli like.

Seems to me Nintendo copied Princess Mononoke for Breath of the Wild, or were inspired by it. Link has never worn blue before as his main gear. The art style looks very Ghibli like.

I read somewhere that the art style of BoTW was inspired by Mononokes aesthetic, from the soft lush colors to the rolling plains.

Wouldnt it be too "artsy" to really please the fans?

The other thing its I doubt they will make it R, Nintendo is not really hardcore like PS or X-box wit h the violence even with third party games, dount they will do it with one of their flagship characthers.

It wouldn't have to be an R rating. Many of Mizayakis film have action and violence without being gratuitous. Considering Link is mostly fighting monsters in fantasy setting it wouldn't be him hacking soldiers arms and limbs off. Imo the action would just be the icing on the cake. The real wonder would be seeing the world of LoZ and it's crazy characters come to life through the eyes of Mizayaki.

Last edited:
Back