A Southpaw with a great technique; Who should I watch?

shinsuke yamanaka
gifted power in his left
otherwise, his style was the most fundamentally basic i can think of
average reach, build
simple footwork, primarily jab and cross, but knew how to land it better than anyone in his prime

Olympic medalist and three time World Champion Marvin Johnson
johnson-2nd.jpg

Last edited:
I can sort of see it, actually. Pacquiao was more of a puncher though.

I can see it in the sense that they're both fast guys who use a fast footwork and high workrates to open angles and combos. Otherwise, I don't see it at all, Pac is more of a puncher, as you mentioned, but he was also less creative and less varied in his punch selection that what we've seen of Loma so far. He also relied less on lateral movement and worked the straight left more than Loma. Pac was a boxer-puncher hybrid with brawler tendencies
who was so fast, iron-chinned, and freakishly athletic that it made up for his technical failings. Loma is more of a dancer who bounces in and out to pepper combos (he's also way more defensively responsible; he uses head movement and footwork for defense, while Pac uses mostly footwork).

My bad you are right lol Vasyl is much better skillwise than Pacquiao, I was referring to the in and out movement its similar to what Pac uses.

Pac beats Loma at 130 and 135.

Even then, you're refusing to see that Loma is way more lateral in his movement and a bit slower on foot. He also changes stance more for his head movement. It totally changes the dynamic.

If you want a simpler style, then somebody like Khaosai Galaxy is a good textbook. Early on he really was just about using the jab to find range and land his straight left. He became a little more sophisticated as time on but he was always a seek and destroy fighter.

Lara and Rigo are Cuban lefties, tougher to emulate and requiring a lot of slickness and foot speed. Still, a good lesson, no doubt. Lara is boring IMO, but Rigo can put on some bangers.

I'd watch Srisaket Sor Rungvisai as well. Also big on landing the left, bit more of a counterpuncher than his fellow Thai galaxy.

oh, winky, nishioka and flash elorde were Southpaws too, forgot about them. You can wathc Vic Darchinyan too lol, but imght not be your style.

Last edited:
I always thought of Spence as just a southpaw stanced fighter, not exactly a oportunist southpaw like Casamayor and Loma if that makes sense, Spence doesnt rely heavily on straight lefts or moving to his right a lot.
He absolutely does....

Back