A simple thing that every beginner should do

Human Bass

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
To be put in all locks and chokes without resistance just to learn how they feel before live rolling, so injuries can be prevented more easily. I was thinking of that for heelhooks, but I feel it is valid for all kind of subs.

Well I think you definitely learn as you go, and most people you train with give you time to tap and learn. New people should definitely be told to tap to pressure and not wait for pain.

To be put in all locks and chokes without resistance just to learn how they feel before live rolling, so injuries can be prevented more easily. I was thinking of that for heelhooks, but I feel it is valid for all kind of subs.

That's called a regular class where I'm from

If upper belts are heel hooking new guys they should be thrown out

I don't get the mentality of no leglocks on newbies. My coach says it too. I've never seen a bad injury in training from much other than neck cranks and accidents. I think stacking someone is far more dangerous than leg locking them, but no one says anything about it

If upper belts are heel hooking new guys they should be thrown out

I think if you can't trust your upper belts not to exercise enough restraint to keep from hurting your new guys then they shouldn't be upper belts. If I were heel hooking a new student I would a) release the submission and lecture them if they weren't tapping early and b) go for something else entirely if they weren't being controlled enough to prevent injury due to their own spazzing.

Anything can be trained safely if you have the proper gym culture.

I don't get the mentality of no leglocks on newbies. My coach says it too. I've never seen a bad injury in training from much other than neck cranks and accidents. I think stacking someone is far more dangerous than leg locking them, but no one says anything about it

I've heard this same argument a lot. And(imo) it comes down to some variation of two different stances.

There aren't that many injuries from leg locks because...
1. heel hooks and other footlocks aren't inherently more dangerous than other submissions.

2. You don't see as many injuries because it has been establish that lower belts don't do them.

I personally side with #2, but I could see why you would disagree.

I've asked to be heelhooked to know what it feels like. Open communication is the best prevention.

When I'm teaching newer students, or children chokes / arm locks for the first time- I always demonstrate the technique, then take a minute to do it on all of them. I want them to know what it feels like, what the pain point is, etc- so they respect the technique and be careful with their partner.

Especially the first time we do spinning arm bar where the weight is dropping, or inverted heelhooks, guillotines, etc.

Back