A Short Retrospective on Frankie Edgar

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Frankie was relatively unknown before he beat Penn in one of the biggest upsets in the history of the sport. I am among the few who still think Penn was not robbed in that fight, but in any case we know what happened in the rematch and beyond.

But going way back, I remember the first time I saw Frankie was against Tyson Griffin. Now, people won't likely remember Tyson, other than perhaps him getting flattened by Gomi, but he was a motherfucking beast. Well rounded, a bit wild on the hands, but a great wrestler, strong, and super conditioned.

The fight is a classic. People don't realize Frankie has a lot of mileage, and his knees are probably not what they used to be. Look at vintage Frankie, and he was even faster and more explosive than now, a much grittier wrestler as well, always with sharp hands.

He won that fight, and would soon fight Maynard. Little did we know, two future rivals fighting each other before their amazing title bouts. Maynard, before he fell in love with his hands, was a tenacious wrestler, very large at the time for the division. Maynard outwrestled Frankie, in what was also another great fight. Maynard was perceived to be quite boring, and so he had an extremely difficult title run, which would finally be against Frankie as champion. In turn, Frankie bounced very strongly, going after Franca and Sherk, the latter obviously having lost the title to the reigning BJ, and one of the best to ever do it. Frankie outboxed him, and he dominated Franca as well.

After winning against BJ, he fought Maynard in the classics I presume most are familiar with here. If not, go watch them.

Frankie was always small for LW, although many were at the time, like Sherk and Griffin. But he is probably one of the most consistent fighters I have ever seen in the octagon. He never underperforms, even when he loses. I also thought he won the rematch against Benson Henderson, though it was very close. One of the greatest to ever do it.

Last edited:
I remember his fight with Griffin. I liked Frankie right away.
Good stuff TS.
1487630718660s.jpg

Frankie would run circles around Conor and KO him in the 5th

penn should have faced gray before frankie.

bullshit matchmaking.

How not to like him ?

Great guy
Great fighter overall
Heart/toughness like no one

#warFrankie

Rocky.

1440559838_11-edgar-maynard18.jpg

penn should have faced gray before frankie.

bullshit matchmaking.

Yeah, as I mentioned, Gray was just very unpopular because of his style and dry personality. He had a nightmarish rise, like Fitch and other grinders. Unfortunately, I think he was at his best when also at his most conservative.

Frankie Edgar is a living legend.

I will be astounded if Ortega somehow wins this weekend.

ortega gonna finish frankie.

i will actually be very shocked if ortega doesnt get the win.

maybe if it goes to the judges they will give frankie the decision to avoid him throwing his hat all over the cage and having a hissy fit.

1.gif

god that was embarrassing. have some class.

Only thing better would be to swap "short" for abridged in the title.

You're spot on though, the Tyson Griffin fight was an awesome 3 rounds.

Frankie’s the fucking man and there’s no doubt he won the second bendo fight.

So true, he's easily on my top 10 GOAT list. Also ridiculous that he's been doing it this long and has never been finished.

ortega gonna finish frankie.

i will actually be very shocked if ortega doesnt get the win.

maybe if it goes to the judges they will give frankie the decision to avoid him throwing his hat all over the cage and having a hissy fit.

1.gif

god that was embarrassing. have some class.
Stfu, lord frankie can do whatever he wants. Hope he beats ortega, it's a tough matchup for both of them

It's true that h'is one of the most consisten fighter. Lot of heart and humble. Respect

Frankie was relatively unknown before he beat Penn in one of the biggest upsets in the history of the sport. I am among the few who still think Penn was not robbed in that fight, but in any case we know what happened in the rematch and beyond.

But going way back, I remember the first time I saw Frankie was against Tyson Griffin. Now, people won't likely remember Tyson, other than perhaps him getting flattened by Gomi, but he was a motherfucking beast. Well rounded, a bit wild on the hands, but a great wrestler, strong, and super conditioned.

The fight is a classic. People don't realize Frankie has a lot of mileage, and his knees are probably not what they used to be. Look at vintage Frankie, and he was even faster and more explosive than now, a much grittier wrestler as well, always with sharp hands.

He won that fight, and would soon fight Maynard. Little did we know, two future rivals fighting each other before their amazing title bouts. Maynard, before he fell in love with his hands, was a tenacious wrestler, very large at the time for the division. Maynard outwrestled Frankie, in what was also another great fight. Maynard was perceived to be quite boring, and so he had an extremely difficult title run, which would finally be against Frankie as champion. In turn, Frankie bounced very strongly, going after Franca and Sherk, the latter obviously having lost the title to the reigning BJ, and one of the best to ever do it. Frankie outboxed him, and he dominated Franca as well.

After winning against BJ, he fought Maynard in the classics I presume most are familiar with here. If not, go watch them.

Frankie was always small for LW, although many were at the time, like Sherk and Griffin. But he is probably one of the most consistent fighters I have ever seen in the octagon. He never underperforms, even when he loses. I also thought he won the rematch against Benson Henderson, though it was very close. One of the greatest to ever do it.
TFLDR. GTH. GFY.

I remember his fight with Griffin. I liked Frankie right away.
Good stuff TS.
View attachment 347511

Frankie would run circles around Conor and KO him in the 5th

How not to like him ?

Great guy
Great fighter overall
Heart/toughness like no one

#warFrankie

Frankie’s the fucking man and there’s no doubt he won the second bendo fight.

So true, he's easily on my top 10 GOAT list. Also ridiculous that he's been doing it this long and has never been finished.

Stfu, lord frankie can do whatever he wants. Hope he beats ortega, it's a tough matchup for both of them

Thanks TS. Best post I’ve read in awhile.

{<redford}

Edgar is the consummate beast of a wrestler. To be a competitive college wrestler at the level he was at says volumes.
His fights against Tyson are for the ages and also reveals just how good Aldo was. Aldo took so much ugly mileage for years against two stud wrestlers it’s amazing he can still fight.

Seems like he never got a fair shake especially when the wwe mentality took over his weight class. One of the things that made me lose interest in the ufc actually. I would love to see him take the trophy.

Back