Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Endless River (2014)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Satanical Eve

Cro Cop's Left Leg
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of us sherdoggers are fans of Pink Floyd and I decided lets make a thread about the band and all the things associated with them. I've decided also to create a poll to see which album is everyone's favorite (I've only included studio albums)

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (1967) is the only album made under the leadership of founding member Syd Barrett. Syd Barrett was let go from the band on April 6th of 1968 due to his increasing erratic behavior as a result of his ever increasing use of psychedelics and especially LSD. Syd Barrett would go on to produce two albums The Madcap Laughs and Barrett both in 1970. In August of 1974 Barrett was persuaded to go into Abbey Road Studio to hopefully record a third album, the sessions lasted three days. It was after these sessions Syd withdrew from the music industry for good. Barrett died on July 7th of 2006 at his home in Cambridge due to Pancreatic Cancer. There is evidence that Syd Barrett might have suffered from Schizophrenia which was exacerbated due to his heavy use of LSD. Because of that Barrett mental health declined and I don't know if he was ever the same. Syd was a unique and extremely talented guitarist and songwriter. The Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn is one hell of a debut and gave us a glimpse of what might have been from Syd.

Personally my favorite album is and always will be Wish You Were Here and it has to do a lot with David Gilmour and his impeccable guitar playing and the overall quality of the writing (After all he is one of the three biggest influences on my guitar playing next to that of Frank Zappa and Chuck Schuldiner). Not to mention the album is a tribute to founder Syd Barrett

There is one fascinating story about the recording of Wish You Were Here. On June 5th, 1975 the band was in the process of completing the final mix of the song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" when an overweight man with a shaven head, eyebrows and holding a plastic bag walked into the studio. Band members Roger Water's initially did not recognize him, Richard Wright was perplexed as to who it was and asked Waters if he was a friend of of his to which Roger said no. It was only then that Richard Wright figured out it was Syd Barrett. David Gilmour initially thought it was a member of the EMI staff and Nick Mason failed to recognized who it was until Gilmour realized it was Syd and told Mason who became instantly "horrified". The sight of Syd Barrett in that state reduced Roger Waters to tears. the graphic designer Storm Thorgerson who is well known for creating almost all of Pink Floyd's iconic album covers reflected on Barrett's appearance stating "Two or three people cried. He sat round and talked for a bit but he wasn't really there." As well Richard Wright had this to say about the day in question "Roger was there, and he was sitting at the desk, and I came in and I saw this guy sitting behind him – huge, bald, fat guy. I thought, "He looks a bit... strange..." Anyway, so I sat down with Roger at the desk and we worked for about ten minutes, and this guy kept on getting up and brushing his teeth and then sitting – doing really weird things, but keeping quiet. And I said to Roger, "Who is he?" and Roger said "I don't know." and I said "Well, I assumed he was a friend of yours," and he said "No, I don't know who he is." Anyway, it took me a long time, and then suddenly I realised it was Syd, after maybe 45 minutes. He came in as we were doing the vocals for "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", which was basically about Syd. He just, for some incredible reason picked the very day that we were doing a song which was about him. And we hadn't seen him, I don't think, for two years before. That's what's so incredibly... weird about this guy. And a bit disturbing, as well, I mean, particularly when you see a guy, that you don't, you couldn't recognize him. And then, for him to pick the very day we want to start putting vocals on, which is a song about him. Very strange."

None of the band members saw him from that day on until his death in 2006.

Animals is their best album, IMO. I've listened to it the most, I have trouble sleeping and regularly wake up at night, so I'd pack a bowl and put on Animals. Close my eyes, I'm fucking flying.

Inb4 thread fills with videos and becomes too gumpy and slow to enjoy.

Between Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall, holy shit. Each of them I don't get tired of and have listened to a thousand times. It's hard to choose.

I'll say The Wall because double album

I like the Piper at the gates of dawn the best, I always like Syd's guitar sound and his songwriting. His jangley psychedelic sound and his absurd fantasy lyrics have always interested me for whatever reason.

Damn. Hard to choose. I mean there were different eras. Piper At The Gates of Dawn maybe. But that might be because I used to be in a band that covered Interstellar Overdrive. And I was really into the Love and Rockets cover of Lucifer Sam. And Terrance McKenna likened taking DMT to the song Gnomes which I can't disagree with. A new way to say Hooray.

So so many outright incredible trips listening to Darkside and The Wall though. Some collective unconscious shit. Real out of body experiences. I really believe those years shaped who I am today.

And then there's Wish You Were Here. I once did a drawing of a guy staring off into space using only the lyrics to the title track. That is I used the words to create the picture. I was definitely an acid causality at that point.

Definitely hard to choose. I will say that post Roger Waters I began to lose interest. (Full disclosure - I'm a bass player) Still a fan but it just wasn't the same. And I'm glad to see Waters still out there on tour, playing these songs that meant so much to me. Dude is 74 years old and still killing it every night. He's a great one to follow on twitter as he posts clips from each nights show.

And then there was the time I got arrested in my own front yard for violating curfew. I was outside listening to Ummagumma looking up at the sky, lol. My mom was pissed (at the cops).

So yeah, its hard to choose. But for tonight, right now, I'll go with Wish You Were Here. A few years back, I was at an open mic night and this girl, about 12 or 13 got up and played the title track and literally moved me to quiet tears. Her dad told me that his wife, her mom, had died a couple of years earlier. He bought her a guitar to help her cope.

Last edited:
Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece and has possibly the best ending of any album imo.

On a semi-related note i saw the Australian Pink Floyd recently, they were awesome.

Also the Easy Star All Stars do a great dub reggae cover of the Dark Side album, called Dub Side of the Moon.

The Wall is the best, but Animals and The Final Cut have always been my favorite.

The Best of Pink Floyd, imo.

AFootInTheDoorPinkFloyd.jpg

Obvious but Darkside of the Moon is flawless.

Pink Floyd is one of my favorites. Own every studio album. That said, Darkside is essential wire to wire listening. Every other album has atleast one lapse or if not a lapse in quality..maybe a lapse in immediacy after repeated listens

Wish You Were Here and Animals are pretty flawless as well and I often listen to them all the way through... but sometimes when listening to them I’ll skip or fast forward. Not always in the mood to digest the entirety of Shine On You Crazy Diamond(the first end) and Dogs.

Meddle was probably one kickass song away from being in contention. Echoes is probably my favorite Floyd song and I always take that one whole. It’s the album that they discovered themselves on. It set the stage for the rest of their catalog. However, it holds arguably the two worst Floyd songs commited to record. San Tropez and Seamus.

The Wall is of course up there and probably their most important and influential album considering what rock music would become about a decade later.

Last edited:
Obvious but Darkside of the Moon is flawless.

Pink Floyd is one of my favorites. Own every studio album. That said, Darkside is essential wire to wire listening. Every other album has atleast one lapse or if not a lapse in quality..maybe a lapse in immediacy after repeated listens

Wish You Were Here and Animals are pretty flawless as well and I often listen to them all the way through... but sometimes when listening to them I’ll skip or fast forward. Not always in the mood to digest the entirety of Shine On You Crazy Diamond(the first end) and Dogs.

Meddle was probably one kickass song away from being in contention. Echoes is probably my favorite Floyd song and I always take that one whole. It’s the album that they discovered themselves on. It set the stage for the rest of their catalog. However, it holds arguably the two worst Floyd songs commited to record. San Tropez and Seamus.

The Wall is of course up there and probably their most important and influential album considering what rock music would become about a decade later.

I create 8 bit covers of mostly Frank Zappa songs but I decided to try my hand at a Pink Floyd song and produced one for Echoes its near close to the original as I could get

I create 8 bit covers of mostly Frank Zappa songs but I decided to try my hand at a Pink Floyd song and produced one for Echoes its near close to the original as I could get

I probably won't get through this tonight, but so far its awesome.
Haven't listened to this in a long time; I'm catching a very similar riff to A Perfect Day, Lou Reed.

I remixed isThere Anybody Out There? and On The Run into one song a few years back. I titled it Is There Anybody On The Run?

Had to pick one as I love everything Floyd has done as well as all their solo albums. I picked animals as Dogs is my fav song. Ravin and Droolin and You Got to be Crazy are killer early versions of Sheep and Dogs.

Anyone catch Rogers Us & Them tour?

As whole albums? A top five for me would be:

DSotM
Piper (if including BOTH See Emily Play and Astronomy Domine)
Saucerful
The Wall
Animals

One interesting question would be if hypothetically you could take (to a Mars colony let's say) only 60s Floyd (Piper thru More) or anything after More (70s Floyd), which would you choose?

I'd have to go with Piper, Saucerful, and More over all the rest. I'd miss Dark Side for sure, but as I have aged I have just found myself listening to and enjoying Floyd's 60s work far more than their 70s. And it is almost not even close.

But don't get me wrong I like all Floyd.

I like all of it alot. Animals is my vote

From Meddle to Dark Side is all GOAT shit. One of my favorite bands of all time and a major influence of mine.

I'd prolly go with Animals. With a nice stereo, it is pretty amazing. But with with good headphones, it is much better...

The Wall because A: It's one of the first albums I remember my dad playing for me as a kid, B: It's a great concept album, C: There isn't really a single bad song on there and D: The artwork gave me freaking nightmares but I began to appreciate it more the older I got.

Back