A Quiet Place (2018 Horror)

If you’ve seen it, how did you rate it?

• Total voters
every time I had to watch the trailer for this movie I thought to myself, “well this looks fucking dumb” (like why would John Krasinski let his kid have a toy that made loud noises when noise is literally the one thing they need to avoid, for starters), but I’m gonna give it the benefit of the doubt since movie trailers are fucking trash as a rule & are cut w/ scenes taken out of context, like the above scene. so despite the trailer I look forward to checking it out soon since hollywoo is starved for good/great horror films.

Really looking forward to seeing this. I enjoy movies that are as quiet as possible, so this is right up my alley.

I was going to go see this tonight, but it's opening night. My pet peeve is people talking in a movie theater. For a movie like this, I sense that feeling will be enhance 10 fold. Anyone that has already seen it agree about this? @SiKnSiN @GordoBarraBJJ

I was going to go see this tonight, but it's opening night. My pet peeve is people talking in a movie theater. For a movie like this, I sense that feeling will be enhance 10 fold. Anyone that has already seen it agree about this? @SiKnSiN @GordoBarraBJJ
It was very full (the theatre) last night -- which was odd for a late Thursday night showing (which was one of the reasons I decided to go - Thursday's are almost always dead regardless of movie playing). Anyhow, it was very loud during the previews which I thought was going to be an indicator of things to be.

Surprisingly, it was pretty damn quiet throughout the whole movie.

And yes - if you happen to be at a showing with loud teenagers (almost always loud), or any sort of loud people it will ruin the experience for sure.

It was very full (the theatre) last night -- which was odd for a late Thursday night showing (which was one of the reasons I decided to go - Thursday's are almost always dead regardless of movie playing). Anyhow, it was very loud during the previews which I thought was going to be an indicator of things to be.

Surprisingly, it was pretty damn quiet throughout the whole movie.

And yes - if you happen to be at a showing with loud teenagers (almost always loud), or any sort of loud people it will ruin the experience for sure.
Probably gonna skip out on seeing it tonight then. All the theaters around me are notoriously bad for loud inconsiderate teenagers.

Probably gonna skip out on seeing it tonight then. All the theaters around me are notoriously bad for loud inconsiderate teenagers.
I actually wanted to go see it again as I got there late and only seats near the front were available. But school lets out early on Friday in the city I live in so the Theatres are packed.

Helpful hint - early shows on Saturdays and Sundays are usually not to busy (the earliest matinee). Then again it just might be the theatre I go to and not applicable to all.

I was surprised by how well it was acted, written and presented. Very well done

They even snuck in some Neil Young.

I actually wanted to go see it again as I got there late and only seats near the front were available. But school lets out early on Friday in the city I live in so the Theatres are packed.

Helpful hint - early shows on Saturdays and Sundays are usually not to busy (the earliest matinee). Then again it just might be the theatre I go to and not applicable to all.

I was surprised by how well it was acted, written and presented. Very well done

They even snuck in some Neil Young.
Thanks for the tips man. I may still end up taking my chances. My work schedule fluctuates and no idea when I'd be able to go again. Often times when I decide to wait on something like going to see a movie, I end up not seeing it at all.

Pretty solid movie IMO. I loved how quiet it was throughout, it just felt different. Well written for the most part. Krasinski definitely put a few things in there that would just move the story in the direction he wanted, even if it didn't make total sense.

Like how they basically didn't pay attention to the kids at all. They just let them roam freely and didn't care to keep an eye on them. Especially the kid that died in the beginning, why let him walk in the very back, he was like 6. The deaf girl wandered off on her own as well and even before Emily Blunt went into labor, she had no idea her daughter was gone. Keeping an eye on your children seems pretty important with monsters running around.

Also, I don't get why they insisted on having so many kids? It seems like the worst thing you can do in that situation. Other than those 2 things though, I didn't have much of a problem with the movie. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The acting was great, the monsters were pretty cool, the story was a little deeper than the typical horror movie. Overall I would give it a 7.8, definitely deserving of a high 7.

I was lucky enough to catch a very late showing, so the theater was only about 1/4 full. And people were considerate not to talk, but even the slightest sound seems amplified. It's really hard to explain bc I've never watched a movie close to this.

There would be these very intense moments, and you would just hear someone on the other side of the theater moving their cup straw like they had a damn microphone next to it. Like, the person eating popcorn a few rows behind me felt like they are right next to my ear. You could loudly hear the door open and close each time someone was leaving the theater. Hell, even the sound of their seat lifting as they got up was very noticeable.

This movie makes you realize just how much background noise is covered up by a regular movie, and it was a pretty interesting revelation tbh.

Last edited:
Pretty solid movie IMO. I loved how quiet it was throughout, it just felt different. Well written for the most part. Krasinski definitely put a few things in there that would just move the story in the direction he wanted, even if it didn't make total sense.

Like how they basically didn't pay attention to the kids at all. They just let them roam freely and didn't care to keep an eye on them. Especially the kid that died in the beginning, why let him walk in the very back, he was like 6. The deaf girl wandered off on her own as well and even before Emily Blunt went into labor, she had no idea her daughter was gone. Keeping an eye on your children seems pretty important with monsters running around.

Also, I don't get why they insisted on having so many kids? It seems like the worst thing you can do in that situation. Other than those 2 things though, I didn't have much of a problem with the movie. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The acting was great, the monsters were pretty cool, the story was a little deeper than the typical horror movie. Overall I would give it a 7.8, definitely deserving of a high 7.

Its like they didn't even have a plan or a spot to meet up if something like this happened

They had all this other shit set up like the red lights and the fireworks but they dont have a designated area to meet up at

Its like they didn't even have a plan or a spot to meet up if something like this happened

They had all this other shit set up like the red lights and the fireworks but they dont have a designated area to meet up at

Yeah that seems like a pretty important thing to figure out. I remember Emily Blunt saying something like he knows he's supposed to stay there and wait for you, referring to the kid that set off the fireworks, but they had no idea where the girl was. She was out at the bridge where her brother died so they really had no way of knowing where she was, but they still should've had a spot that John could always go to and check just in case something went wrong.

As you said Anderson, the plan was for the son to stay at the firework site. But he got spooked and ran.

As for the girl, it's not realistic--even in a situation like the one in the movie--for parents to keep their eye on their children literally 24 hours a day. Is everyone just supposed to sit in the same room together, all day every day? Even in intense circumstances a kind of normalcy will eventually work itself out.

As for having so many kids, the three kids that are with them at the beginning were all born before the creatures arrived. The new child we can't know for certain was even planned or if that was an accident. But if it was planned, I imagine it was out of a parental sense of replacing one of their number.

What I am more wondering about is how the fuck did Emily Blunt have a baby in like five minutes. WTF? Women are usually in labor for hours!

As you said Anderson, the plan was for the son to stay at the firework site. But he got spooked and ran.

As for the girl, it's not realistic--even in a situation like the one in the movie--for parents to keep their eye on their children literally 24 hours a day. Is everyone just supposed to sit in the same room together, all day every day? Even in intense circumstances a kind of normalcy will eventually work itself out.

As for having so many kids, the three kids that are with them at the beginning were all born before the creatures arrived. The new child we can't know for certain was even planned or if that was an accident. But if it was planned, I imagine it was out of a parental sense of replacing one of their number.

What I am more wondering about is how the fuck did Emily Blunt have a baby in like five minutes. WTF? Women are usually in labor for hours!

Yeah true, I forgot that it started on day 49. Good point there. But still, even though they planned ahead for the noise that the kid would make, it's still a huge risk that could end up getting them all killed. But it was a fun way to create some tension so I get it.

I did feel like maybe I was over-thinking the amount of attention that they kept on their kids, but in that situation things should be pretty strict. It's literally their lives on the line. I get that they can't just watch them 24-7, especially since they have their land under surveillance, but idk, felt like they weren't being attentive enough, especially in the beginning. This is just nitpicking though, I liked the movie quite a bit.

Yeah true, I forgot that it started on day 49. Good point there. But still, even though they planned ahead for the noise that the kid would make, it's still a huge risk that could end up getting them all killed. But it was a fun way to create some tension so I get it.

I did feel like maybe I was over-thinking the amount of attention that they kept on their kids, but in that situation things should be pretty strict. It's literally their lives on the line. I get that they can't just watch them 24-7, especially since they have their land under surveillance, but idk, felt like they weren't being attentive enough, especially in the beginning. This is just nitpicking though, I liked the movie quite a bit.

The noise was a huge risk, but my take on it was just that in this crazy ass world sometimes big risks must be taken to have a chance of staying alive. I actually thought the fireworks idea was pretty damn clever. Normally, I'm sure that Krasinski's character would be expected to do it himself, but he was needed elsewhere.

One thing to keep in mind was that a running theme of the film was the son growing up to be a man. Learning to do for himself. To overcome his fear. To take care of his mother when she grows old. So I saw him doing the fireworks as part of his character arc. They needed him to step up and overcome his fear to help the family survive and he did it.

Regarding the girl, I got the sense that she was sneaking out. Her mother expected her to at least stay in the house to be a help to her mother, as her dad told her to do, but instead she decided to defy her parents' wishes and go off on her own.

Saw it last night. Loved it.

Fuck, first Ready Player One, now this. 2 home runs in a row. Quite the spring season.

Other than infinity war, what's a must see?

Hey btw, and I dont think this question deserves a spoiler but the answer will..

I never saw a generator. How'd they have power?

The noise was a huge risk, but my take on it was just that in this crazy ass world sometimes big risks must be taken to have a chance of staying alive. I actually thought the fireworks idea was pretty damn clever. Normally, I'm sure that Krasinski's character would be expected to do it himself, but he was needed elsewhere.

One thing to keep in mind was that a running theme of the film was the son growing up to be a man. Learning to do for himself. To overcome his fear. To take care of his mother when she grows old. So I saw him doing the fireworks as part of his character arc. They needed him to step up and overcome his fear to help the family survive and he did it.

Regarding the girl, I got the sense that she was sneaking out. Her mother expected her to at least stay in the house to be a help to her mother, as her dad told her to do, but instead she decided to defy her parents' wishes and go off on her own.

At the end of the movie the little boy is hiding in the corner with the baby while the females kick ass

Its hilarious

I would be disappointed if that was my son tbh

Absolutely loved it. One of my favorite horror movies. John and Emily were fantastic

10/10

At the end of the movie the little boy is hiding in the corner with the baby while the females kick ass

Its hilarious

I would be disappointed if that was my son tbh

LOL.

He really was kind of a pussy. He was basically Daniel Laruso in KKIII.

I didn't see the film as any kind of feminist statement though. Krasinski's character was most heroic character in the film and made a huge personal sacrifice to save his family.

I really liked the fireworks idea too. It was clever like you said, and it was a pretty cool visual.

I noticed that someone mentioned that they didn't really care for the characters, but I was pretty bummed when John's character died. I thought the others were okay too, definitely didn't dislike them. There's only so much you can do in an hour and a half, especially when you have to focus on creating scares and tension as well. John is a really talented dude.

Back