A Quiet Place (2018 Horror)

If you’ve seen it, how did you rate it?

• Total voters
One of the most overrated movies I've ever seen. The ratings are off the charts and it is borderline hot garbage.

Some of the many, many things that were underexlained and/or unbelievable:

- the excessive quiet to the long drawn-out scene to start the film was straight up annoying. Especially in a semi-full theatre. It's called "A Quiet Place".

- the sanded long paths was completely unbelievable. Where was all of this sand coming from? Who would have the time and energy to lay all of that out of sandbags with no motorized vehicle to transport the bags? You'd be surprised at what you can accomplish when you have nothing to do all day and night other than just survive.

- the one boy acted overly fragile. Like he's a year or two younger than his sister and he's so over the top fragile yet as per 2018 she's the courageous hard done by victim of everything including her deafness. Not every boy is the hero and not every girl is the damsel in distress. Besides that little girl just has a tough look to her so it was believable.

- I guess the markings on the floors were where they were supposed to walk to avoid creaking noises? We're not explained this, but the girl makes the exaggerated steps when going into the forbidden house. Such an odd thing to nitpick.

- and were the doors being open for also the same reason? So that no banging or creaking would be heard? That's what I thought.

- when the wife has the baby, and the husband is in the soundproof basement with her, why doesn't he notice the water pouring out of the broken pipe flooding the basement/cellar? Then, in that basement, the alien is sure sneaky sitting down there waiting for her to wake up. It's a movie and was probably lazy writing but why get hung up on the water? The alien's didn't thrash around unless they were hearing sounds right then and there.

- When the kids fall into the corn silo. It was hokey that he'd be able to pull his sister out of the mound. He was holding on to the metal door so he had leverage.

- and that was where the girl found out about her ear piece screwing with the alien's hearing. Makes sense that she wouldn't understand it the first time.

- the mom steps on the nail but no one else does walking up and down those same steps. Could have been addressed by a simple point at it by the mom, but why worry about it?

- why was the daughter not allowed in the basement? Nothing there was so shocking that she didn't know about already. Maybe the dad felt like she could have gotten hurt or gotten then all killed by being too curious about all the test equipment.

- oh, and how did they have power? How could there be power to feed all of their elaborate light system and other devices? And were the red lights to mean that an emergency was happening? We kind of just figured that out sort of. No clue about the power but the red light emergency was pretty obvious. Lights were white when everything was fine, then the wife is close to getting killed and she flips a switch that turns them red. I thought it was as obvious as it gets.

- and back to the basement, how did the little girl figure out that the ear piece was screwing with the alien. And then, upon seeing the sound equipment and mic for the first time, no instantly in the moment how to use the desk mic with its buttons and then which amplifier dial controlld the volume for it? Yeah I understand the confusion there but I mean shit, out of all the unrealistic things about the movie, why even worry about it? Just the fact that there are aliens that you have to be quiet around should be enough to make you not even want to watch the movie in the first place if you're looking for something realistic.

- and of course, it bags the question, if it was so easy to shoot an alien in the head with a shotgun, why did they act so handicapped for so long? On the white board one of the facts about the aliens was "Armor" so I'm guessing they couldn't be shot until their heads opened up like that once they started freaking out over the frequency that was screwing with them.

All in all I've seen worse - I gave it a 6/10. The creatures were good, particularly their hands and musculature/legs/arms. The head and sounds were far more overdone used too many times. There were some decent scares and moments and overall I was entertained.

But generally there was so much inbelievability to it, so many plot holes and dumb or unexplained points that I couldn't rate it very high. Pretty meh tbh.

Wow, that guy is kinda uhh never mind. Most of these are pretty fucking common sense. Movies don't explain everything all the time because nowadays they expect their audience to be half intelligent. Like the nail. Nobody stepped on the nail because it wasn't sticking up until the exaggerated scene where it gets caught on something and she pulls and it straightens the nail so it is pointing up. Very obvious foreshadowing and makes sense nobody would step on it sense it was fucking bent beforehand. The rest you pretty much answered and were very commonsense. Lol at It's called "A Quiet Place." Also tension building for the intro.

Wow, that guy is kinda uhh never mind. Most of these are pretty fucking common sense. Movies don't explain everything all the time because nowadays they expect their audience to be half intelligent. Like the nail. Nobody stepped on the nail because it wasn't sticking up until the exaggerated scene where it gets caught on something and she pulls and it straightens the nail so it is pointing up. Very obvious foreshadowing and makes sense nobody would step on it sense it was fucking bent beforehand. The rest you pretty much answered and were very commonsense. Lol at It's called "A Quiet Place." Also tension building for the intro.

I think he may have been referring to the final scene when the mother and two kids go back down into the basement. I think the nail was still sticking up at that point but no one stepped on it.

But seriously though, I just try to enjoy movies for what they are. An unrealistic portrayal of what life would be like if we could create any kind of crazy situation in our heads.

I think he may have been referring to the final scene when the mother and two kids go back down into the basement. I think the nail was still sticking up at that point but no one stepped on it.

But seriously though, I just try to enjoy movies for what they are. An unrealistic portrayal of what life would be like if we could create any kind of crazy situation in our heads.
Yeah, I mean if you critiqued real life like that, than "Florida man" shouldn't be real either, but they are.

It was a solid thriller and an original concept (which is less common these days). I really enjoyed it but had a couple complaints:

1. I felt like the ending was a little incomplete. They didn't really need to show us more but showing us a little more might have given us a better sense of closure.

2. I find it hard to believe that most of humanity had to be wiped out before someone figured out the weakness of these life forms. The answer was really staring them right in the face all along.

8/10 - "B"

I tried to stream this the other night and was fuming when the korean subtitles came up lol

Is there an english sub release yet?

lol there are like 10 lines in the movie. Does it really make a difference?

I've heard good things about this. Get it? Heard?

but for real I heard this was really good. I'm hoping it's a tense, atmospheric tension type movie like Signs or something similar. I dig stuff like that.

Was not a fan of this movie. Though, if there was a deeper message to it, I missed it as I didnt pay close enough attention.

I liked it. Felt like a good short story, was to the point and didn't waste time. 7/10

RLM said it best, this movie felt like a well executed and structured M.Night Shyamalan movie

i enjoyed it, and all the nitpicking shit was kind of wtv to me...its' still really well made and well executed story

the trailers lame predictable jump scare makes it look like every other mindless piece of shit out there... looks ok tho...

RLM said it best, this movie felt like a well executed and structured M.Night Shyamalan movie

i enjoyed it, and all the nitpicking shit was kind of wtv to me...its' still really well made and well executed story

interesting. The best way I could describe it is a well made movie of a Stephen King-like short story.

I enjoyed it. There were some big gaps that needed suspension of disbelief but it was enjoyable.

Krasinski and Blunt were awesome even with almost no dialogue in the film.

Agree with everyone on the weakness staring them in the face.

Also's the creatures were super inconsistent. One second they are tearing through the steel of the silo and silo door, the next they are struggling with sheet metal in the truck.

As others said, no way a small number of them would not get smashed by the military. Run that bitch over with a tank or blast it with an acoustic device from a humvee .

This whole movie is a coiled spring that never lets up. I loved the intimacy and focus on a few characters and the lack of explanation for the creatures. Great fucking verisimilitude.

giphy.gif

Well, I hope there are other movies you can find that you like.

It was like 6.5/10.

Girl I was with, who has decent taste, thought it was a joke.

Very overrated. I mean, very.

Back